Old 13-09-2013, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plug for HEBE

I just LOVE this shrub! It is from New Zealand (I think). Sturdy, easy-care, grows fast. What's not to love? The one I have all over the garden is HEBE Wiri Blush. Lovely pink flowers. There are many varieties. Lots of Web sites.

Check out if suitable for your climate. Mine is So. Calif coastal.

Here's one So. Calif grower's site: http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalo...blush-hebe.php.

Hope you enjoy; I sure do!

HB
Old 13-09-2013, 07:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
I just LOVE this shrub!

I really dislike all the hebes.

I do like a particular parahebe that I have in my garden but i've never yet
beena ble to fin dout what its proper name is. I plant that parahebe
through my garden a lot and have also givne away lots of baby plants from
then.

I've successfully managed to kill all the hebes that people have given me
after first saying thinks and trying to look grateful.

Old 14-09-2013, 09:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:37:23 PM UTC-7, Farm1 wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I just LOVE this shrub!

I really dislike all the hebes.

I do like a particular parahebe that I have in my garden but i've never yet

beena ble to fin dout what its proper name is. I plant that parahebe

through my garden a lot and have also givne away lots of baby plants from

then.

I've successfully managed to kill all the hebes that people have given me

after first saying thinks and trying to look grateful.

Could you post WHY you don't like them? And if possible, what varieties were the ones you got rid of?

HB

Old 14-09-2013, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:37:23 PM UTC-7, Farm1 wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I just LOVE this shrub!

I really dislike all the hebes.

I do like a particular parahebe that I have in my garden but i've never
yet

beena ble to fin dout what its proper name is. I plant that parahebe

through my garden a lot and have also givne away lots of baby plants from

then.

I've successfully managed to kill all the hebes that people have given me

after first saying thinks and trying to look grateful.

Could you post WHY you don't like them?

Dunno. I just don't and I really have no real idea why I don't like them.
It's not the least bit logical because as you say they are reasonable tough
and look reasonably presentable to most gardeners and they flower. I just
don't like them.

I'm also not fond of tulips but love daffodils.

I remember once being asked why I didn't like tulips and my auto response
was that they were stiff and formal looking. Luckily the person who asked
the question didn't press me because I later realised that daffodils could
equally be described as being stiff and formal. I also don't really like
camellias but do have some in the garden (not planted by me, nor looked
after by me yet they still manage to survive)

And if possible, what varieties were the ones you got rid of?

Sorry Higgs. To do that i'd needed to have taken note of them rather than
to have just shoved them in the ground in a distant spot and then not
visited them again for many months had passed, I've done in 2 of them that
way. Onee was a tiny, miniature looking one but that is the closest I can
get to a name or description.

I once gave a friend a Euphorbia (because I love them) and she planted it in
a place where she thought it would die and it is THE biggest, healthiest and
lush looking euphorbia that I've ever seen, I'm jealous and she's
smoldering because she didn't manage to kill it.

Old 14-09-2013, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
I'm also not fond of tulips but love daffodils.

very interesting how tastes go.

one friend hates tulips and i grow many
different kinds of them, and i'm deathly
allergic to lilac bushes (but love them)
and she adores those... it's like cats
and dogs.

I remember once being asked why I didn't like tulips and my auto response
was that they were stiff and formal looking. Luckily the person who asked
the question didn't press me because I later realised that daffodils could
equally be described as being stiff and formal.

some types, strike me as bland, but to me that is
because they have been bred into the cup shape. i
much prefer the lily flowering tulips in contrast or
some of the species tulips.

I also don't really like
camellias but do have some in the garden (not planted by me, nor looked
after by me yet they still manage to survive)

most plants here have to survive after
being watered a few times and maybe they
get trimmed once a season if that. if
they can't pass that test then they're
worm food.

I once gave a friend a Euphorbia (because I love them) and she planted it in
a place where she thought it would die and it is THE biggest, healthiest and
lush looking euphorbia that I've ever seen, I'm jealous and she's
smoldering because she didn't manage to kill it.

too funny.

songbird

Old 15-09-2013, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:42:59 AM UTC-7, Farm1 wrote:
[...]

ok. thanks for (reasonable) reply. Tastes differ. I was just afraid there was some kind of weird..I dunno...

Interesting the pros & cons of loving/hating plants!

talk about love/hate! I had Hibiscus in a long planter bed on the W. side of the house. Lovely flowers. But PLAGUED with Whitefly! I tried *everything*. No luck. Finally had to give up & tear them out.

Meantime, another Hibiscus (sorry didn't note down either variety) on the N.side of the house has been roaring along for decades. Not so many flowers,
but also not a hint of Whitefly. Go figure!

HB

[IMG] code is On

Hebe Andersonii Variegata Variegated Hebe Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2010 09:41 AM
Hebe or not Hebe Twobtold Gardening 9 29-08-2004 08:33 PM
Hebe Autumn Glory ( problems) Please Help Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 3 11-06-2003 01:08 AM
Hebe Autumn Glory ( problems) Please Help Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 1 09-06-2003 07:08 PM
Hebe - Pruning Jack United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 09:23 AM