Old 25-03-2014, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Desperate Help To Kill Grass

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:33:39 -0400, (Dan.Espen)
wrote:

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan.Espen wrote:

I have roof moss and Roundup just doesn't seem right, maybe I'll
try the vinegar there. I tried dilute bleach and got a subdued
reaction from the moss.

It's very easy to get rid of roof moss, remove whatever is shading the
roof, then spray with bathroom tile mildew remover... if you do not
remove whatever is shading the area the moss will come right back...
I'd not wait too long before rectifying your problem either, moss
indicates a moisture problem, your roof will soon be leaking as the
roofing and sheathing beneath will be ruined, and home owner insurance
will not cover your neglect.

Well, the shade can't be cured. Neighbors huge trees.
I know they won't remove them. It's pretty shady anyway, as the house
faces directly south and theses are in the back.

You can legally remove whatever parts of those trees cross your
property line, from hell to heaven, just at your expense.. might pay
to discuss this with your neihgbor and come up with a plan whereas his
trees aren't pruned so heavily that they look unsightly and then share
the cost. If that doesn't stop the moss from growing it won't be too
long you'll need your roof repaired so I suggest before your roof
leaks and does horrendous damage inside your house you have that
section replaced with a different roofing materal, possibly a roofer
will suggest metal roofing for that section.

I find it odd that you think a fungicide will work on moss.
Not really the same thing.

Not the same but it works... moss grows on my black top driveway in
front of the garage door because that faces north and never sees sun.
So each spring I spray that area with tile grout cleaner and apply
elbow grease with a stiff brushed scrubber... actually what I first
used is vinyl siding cleaner compound that contains an anti mildew
agent, I discovered it works on moss when I power washd my house and
the compound ran down my driveway, only I can't use a power washer on
blacktop or it will lift out the stones and leave holes, with heavy
use a power washer even on a low setting will destroy blacktop.
Whatever the chemical(s) in that power washer cleaner it kills moss,
then it can take a month or two for the dead moss to decay and wash
away. But naturally during the next summer it grows back, and I can't
prune my garage. The moss won't harm my driveway but it looks
unsightly.

Thanks for the pointers on the urgency. I know I have to do something.

Yes, I'd not put it off.
Old 25-03-2014, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan.Espen wrote:

[...]

Good idea to seal your driveway. There is enough free space in the
composite to allow moisture intrusion and repeated freezing and thawing
will degrade it faster.
Old 25-03-2014, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan.Espen wrote:

[...]

You'd have to see it.
It's not one tree it's an entire stand of trees.
It blocks the morning sun, until around 11AM.
After then the sun is still not high enough to clear the
peak, the roof is about 45 degrees.
Then after 1PM the rest of the house blocks the roof with the worst
problem.

Like I said, lasts year I hit it a couple of times with bleach and
it didn't look quite as robust as before. Right now (winter) there's
not much there. I'll get it this year or call one of those roof
cleaning outfits.

I'd guess zinc strips would deal with it too.
Right now I'm trying to find the solution that works with the least
environmental impact. That's why I started with an oxidizer (bleach).

Just looked. I'd say about half of it is gone.

--
Dan Espen
Old 25-03-2014, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan.Espen wrote:

[...]

Sealing won't stop moss from growing.
Old 25-03-2014, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan.Espen wrote:
Brooklyn1 writes:
Dan.Espen wrote:
Brooklyn1writes:
Dan.Espen wrote:

[...]

You'd have to show it.

It's not one tree it's an entire stand of trees.
Right now I'm trying to find the solution that works with the least
environmental impact.

There's no environmental impact with a metal roof... the only impact
is your wallet.

Old 25-03-2014, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:

As others have said use glyphosate. Roundup is the trade name of the
original and (often) the most expensive version. Follow the
directions for use and safety instructions carefully. The point
about using it effectively is to use it when the plant is growing
strongly so that firstly it is absorbed through the leaves and
secondly it is carried down to the roots through the plant's system.
Some people use it when the plant is dormant thinking when the plant
is weaker it is vulnerable: wrong. Avoid spraying when rain is
coming or before using a sprinkler as if you wash it off before it
is absorbed it won't work, contact in itself does nothing.

I once read that, for vigorous perennial weeds, mix RoundUp slightly
less strong than the label instructions. It does damage the entire
plant not just the roots. By making it a bit weak, you ensure that it
does indeed reach the roots instead of killing the path to the roots.

For any spray or brush-on chemical, I always add liquid soap as a
wetting agent.

This is a good idea, the later versions of Roundup contain a wetting agent.

Old 25-03-2014, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan.Espen wrote:

[...]

No, I get it on smoother surfaces like aluminum siding.
Just thinking, if pressure washer can remove stones, it may need sealing.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:53:04 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 03/25/2014 02:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
There's no environmental impact with a metal roof... the only impact
is your wallet.

It messes up your radio and tv reception. And it lasts
forever if done right. And, think of how much easier
it is to walk without that big lump in your wallet! :-)

Be careful of galvanic corrosion. You just have to get the
right screws and stuff and a roofer that knows what he is
doing.

Sounds to me like cheap ******* disease.
Old 26-03-2014, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan.Espen wrote:
Brooklyn1 writes:
Dan.Espen wrote:
Brooklyn1writes:
Dan.Espen wrote:

[...]

The roof on the left is the worst one.
That was 13 years ago. That stand of trees is much larger now:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/dec...r-compact.html

It's not one tree it's an entire stand of trees.
Right now I'm trying to find the solution that works with the least
environmental impact.

There's no environmental impact with a metal roof... the only impact
is your wallet.

I'm not going to put a metal roof on a colonial.
Especially not one section and leave the rest with red shingles.
And I'm not going to lose the roof either.
Have some faith, I'll take care of the problem.

--
Dan Espen
Old 26-03-2014, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan.Espen wrote:
Brooklyn1 writes:
Dan.Espen wrote:
Brooklyn1 writes:
Dan.Espen wrote:
Brooklyn1writes:
Dan.Espen wrote:

[...]

Would help to see a recent photo that shows more of the roof and
offending trees than the ground.

It's not one tree it's an entire stand of trees.
Right now I'm trying to find the solution that works with the least
environmental impact.

There's no environmental impact with a metal roof... the only impact
is your wallet.

I'm not going to put a metal roof on a colonial.
Especially not one section and leave the rest with red shingles.
And I'm not going to lose the roof either.
Have some faith, I'll take care of the problem.

That photo was quite a while ago and your roof looks old then, perhaps
it's time for a new roof anyway. And today's metal roofs are
gorgeous, highly desireable, and they are used on all styles of homes,
and in that photo I don't see a colonial, I see no second story, looks
more like a ranch. But no matter, metal roofs (standing seam) look
great on all sorts of buildings.
http://www.ascbp.com/gallery/index.html
http://www.atas.com/photo-gallery/project-of-the-year

Old 27-03-2014, 09:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, March 24, 2014 12:37:36 PM UTC-7, mlcwa wrote:
Higgs Boson writes:

On Monday, March 24, 2014 9:15:55 AM UTC-7, mlcwa wrote:

Helen Middlemas writes:

I was just about to suggest the infamous Roundup. Sometimes one has to take a detour around one's principles g

If you use it, be sure to follow directions. Important is to water well before applying.

Definitely, salt is a no-no. Look back in history at how conquerers sowed the land of their defeated enemies with salt.

What is a "membrane"? Is that a UK term? Don't remember hearing it Over Here.

Damn, some fool used GG and double spaced the entire thread.

I've fixed the little part I'm replying too.

Anyway, give us a break and DUMP GG.

I WOULD LOVE TO! I HATE THE WAY THEY ARE TAKING OVER THE WORLD.

Just haven't had the time or ability to find an email client that allows entry to news groups with more flexibility than GG. Would also like to have killfiling ability, for example, in another NG that gives good advice on [subject] but is also polluted with scary ***************.

Someone suggested Thunderbird way back, and I tried, but it got too complicated for moi.

Yeah, I hesitated to mention Roundup.

We have some posters here that get irrational.

Nothing at all wrong with it when used for the right way.

When a pro comes in to give you a new lawn, they kill the old lawn/weeds

with Roundup. A little later they put in seeds, and new then nice new lawn.

New grass grows, right after the terrible Roundup.

Go figure.

A membrane has to be something like landscape cloth.

Tx.

HB

Old 27-03-2014, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Helen Middlemas writes:

I was just about to suggest the infamous Roundup. Sometimes one has to take a detour around one's principles g

If you use it, be sure to follow directions. Important is to water well before applying.

Definitely, salt is a no-no. Look back in history at how conquerers sowed the land of their defeated enemies with salt.

What is a "membrane"? Is that a UK term? Don't remember hearing it Over Here.

Damn, some fool used GG and double spaced the entire thread.

I've fixed the little part I'm replying too.

Anyway, give us a break and DUMP GG.

I WOULD LOVE TO! I HATE THE WAY THEY ARE TAKING OVER THE WORLD.

Just haven't had the time or ability to find an email client that
allows entry to news groups with more flexibility than GG. Would also
like to have killfiling ability, for example, in another NG that gives
good advice on [subject] but is also polluted with scary
***************.

Someone suggested Thunderbird way back, and I tried, but it got too complicated for moi.

Another mangled post.

Just about any email client SHOULD do the job, but a specialized news
client is usually better. Back when I tried Mozilla (Thunderbird
precursor) it was pretty damn simple. You should have tried harder.

--
Dan Espen
Old 27-03-2014, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Forte Agent works fine:
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
Old 27-03-2014, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Helen Middlemas writes:

[...]

Actually, I was a faithful Agent user for YEARS, way back. It was considered one of the most powerful email clients.

Can't remember why I didn't upgrade from earlier versions, which are by now much more sophisticated. I think it was when they made you pay extra for NG access? Whatever the reason, it was a bad decision.

From time to time I tell myself to get back with Agent, then put it off, overwhelmed by daily **** and the apprehension that I might not be able to handle the later builds.

Maybe this will give me the requisite kick in the pants.

Tx to all.

HB

Old 27-03-2014, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

From time to time I tell myself to get back with Agent, then put it off, overwhelmed by daily **** and the apprehension that I might not be able to handle the later builds.

Maybe this will give me the requisite kick in the pants.

Tx to all.

HB

Hi Higgs,

I support Thunderbird professionally. If you decide to

give it a try, if you need help, you can always ping me in

the subject line. You have helped me with so many other

things and stayed a complete gentleman when we have disagreed

on things, I'd be tickled to be able to help you back.

Aw Todd, ya made mah day! I'll keep your generous offer in mind as I attempt to move out of the universe dominated by the 800 lb Google gorilla!

HB