Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Figs!!!!

Few months ago, bought some plants inexpensively from a man who was selling them off his back lot. Big, fat cactus, few other plants -- and a baby 3' fig tree that I bought just for its attractive foliage & potted up.

Well!!! Baby started making figs from the get-go. Was I surprised & thrilled!
Have harvested 2 dead-ripe figs already (indescribable taste) with more waiting in line.

Now why can't my apricot & plum, which are now 4 years in the ground, do likewise?

HB

Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/3/2014 7:50 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Few months ago, bought some plants inexpensively from a man who was selling them off his back lot. Big, fat cactus, few other plants -- and a baby 3' fig tree that I bought just for its attractive foliage & potted up.

Well!!! Baby started making figs from the get-go. Was I surprised & thrilled!
Have harvested 2 dead-ripe figs already (indescribable taste) with more waiting in line.

Now why can't my apricot & plum, which are now 4 years in the ground, do likewise?

HB

Once you eat a fresh fig, you will never again touch a dried or canned
fig. My neighbor across the street has a fig tree. He showed me how to
unlock his side gate and told me to bring my own ladder and pail. He
also said not to bother him by ringing his doorbell, that I should just
go in and pick as many as I want.

Ripe mission figs are dark purple and very sweet. Ripe kadota figs are
pale yellow and not so sweet but still flavorful.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-08-2014, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:15:00 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

The little fig is bearing lots of fruit, but (after the first two ambrosiac figs) they remain small and fall off. Also plant is losing leaves.

It's only early August. I realize the Mission Black Fig is deciduous, but in our more or less mutual climate, is this normal?

TIA

HB
Old 16-08-2014, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/15/2014 10:40 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Either the weather has affected the tree, the tree did not get enough
water, or else you have a gopher problem.

Old 16-08-2014, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

The little fig is bearing lots of fruit, but (after the first two ambrosiac figs) they remain small and fall off. Also plant is losing leaves.

It's only early August. I realize the Mission Black Fig is deciduous, but in our more or less mutual climate, is this normal?

Either the weather has affected the tree, the tree did not get enough

water, or else you have a gopher problem.

??? I was asking whether deciduous fig should be shedding leaves this early in the season.

Gets plenty water.

Season = usual for this area (but everything is outof phase acct climate change)
)
Gopher ??? how would that work? Straight question.

HB

Old 16-08-2014, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/15/2014 5:53 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

The little fig is bearing lots of fruit, but (after the first two ambrosiac figs) they remain small and fall off. Also plant is losing leaves.

It's only early August. I realize the Mission Black Fig is deciduous, but in our more or less mutual climate, is this normal?

Either the weather has affected the tree, the tree did not get enough

water, or else you have a gopher problem.

??? I was asking whether deciduous fig should be shedding leaves this early in the season.

Gets plenty water.

Season = usual for this area (but everything is outof phase acct climate change)
)
Gopher ??? how would that work? Straight question.

HB

Gophers love the roots of fig trees. I can't recommend a method to
eliminate gophers; there are too many variables.

This is far too early for a fig tree to go dormant. That is why I
suggested some kind of trauma.

Old 16-08-2014, 07:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, August 15, 2014 11:17:28 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Little tree is in a pot, so don't think it's gophers. Have never seen a gopher on my property in these many yearsl

This is far too early for a fig tree to go dormant. That is why I

suggested some kind of trauma.

That's what I thought; it's way too early! Will ask nabe nursery if they know.

Tx for help.

HB

[IMG] code is On

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM