A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Gardening Discussions » Gardening
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2017, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

I see ads on Amazon for sprinklers which turn on briefly under
control of a motion sensor, intended to deter animals (deer,
raccoons, cats and especially dogs) from entering lawns and gardens.

The idea seems good, but I wonder how well (if at all) they work
for things like squirrels.

Anybody got tails to tell?

8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska



Ads
  #2  
Old 07-03-2017, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 980
Default Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

On 3/7/2017 8:56 AM, bob prohaska wrote:
I see ads on Amazon for sprinklers which turn on briefly under
control of a motion sensor, intended to deter animals (deer,
raccoons, cats and especially dogs) from entering lawns and gardens.

The idea seems good, but I wonder how well (if at all) they work
for things like squirrels.

Anybody got tails to tell?

8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska


I know of a public garden that tried this at a koi pond to keep herons
and ducks away. The herons were eating young koi, and the ducks were
fouling the water. It did not work.

For squirrels that were killing two white mulberry trees in the same
garden -- eating the new shoots before the trees could get any leaves --
aluminum bands were wrapped around the trunks. Initially, the bands
were about 18 inches high; but the squirrels learned that a running leap
would allow them to clear the bands. When second 18-inch bands were
added to slightly overlap the first bands, success was achieved. I plan
to try this with my peach and loquat trees this year. I will wait until
about 2-3 weeks before the fruit is ripe.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Paraphrasing Mark Twain, who was quoting someone else:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and
alternative truths.
  #3  
Old 21-03-2017, 11:02 PM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Looking to get rid of the squirrels and get some entertainment Bob?

Seen it work for larger pests like neighbors dogs and deer, but never something as small as a squirrel.
  #4  
Old 23-03-2017, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

ZacSpade wrote:

Looking to get rid of the squirrels and get some entertainment Bob?

Seen it work for larger pests like neighbors dogs and deer, but never
something as small as a squirrel.


How trapwise are fox (same as eastern red) squirrels? I've had pretty
good luck catching roof rats using a Raticator electronic rat trap,
which is fairly unobtrusive. I think it would likely kill
a squirrel _if_ it could be induced to enter the trap.

The landscaping around here is essentially an urban forest, so climbing
barriers on tree trunks won't have much effect; the squirrels can jump
from tree to tree (to building to fence....) easily.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

  #5  
Old 28-03-2017, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 66
Default Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017, bob prohaska wrote:

How trapwise are fox (same as eastern red) squirrels? I've had pretty
good luck catching roof rats using a Raticator electronic rat trap,
which is fairly unobtrusive. I think it would likely kill
a squirrel _if_ it could be induced to enter the trap.


Squirrels are easy to trap using a Havahart trap. You simply spread a thin
layer of peanut butter on a piece of aluminum foil.

The problem is there will be too many to trap. If you reduce the population
in the immediate area, others will move into the territory.

Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
  #6  
Old 29-03-2017, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

Don Wiss wrote:

Squirrels are easy to trap using a Havahart trap. You simply spread a thin
layer of peanut butter on a piece of aluminum foil.

The problem is there will be too many to trap. If you reduce the population
in the immediate area, others will move into the territory.


Ok, sounds like trapping is possible. Whether it's worthwhile is another
issue...

Thanks for replying,

bob prohaska

  #7  
Old 29-03-2017, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 474
Default Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

bob prohaska wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:

Squirrels are easy to trap using a Havahart trap. You simply spread
a thin layer of peanut butter on a piece of aluminum foil.

The problem is there will be too many to trap. If you reduce the
population in the immediate area, others will move into the
territory.


Ok, sounds like trapping is possible. Whether it's worthwhile is
another issue...

Thanks for replying,

bob prohaska


I medicate them with lead pills at 800 FPS +- ...
--
Snag



---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

  #8  
Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Bob,

Did you get a sprinkler? Would be interested to know how good they are

I see your issue, personally I like to net off areas but it isn't always applicable
  #9  
Old 07-04-2017, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

ZacSpade wrote:


Did you get a sprinkler? Would be interested to know how good they are

Haven't done anything yet. I'm no longer optimistic about a sprinkler
and don't have any other ideas.......

bob prohaska

 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.