Old 02-03-2003, 03:03 AM
Fleemo

Default Slow Germinating Tomatoes?

Three weeks ago I planted several different varieties of tomatoes in
cell packs. Most of the tomatoes sprouted long ago, yet none of my
Cherokee Purples have emerged from the soil, and only a single Sun
Gold has sprouted. Are these simply very slow tomatoes to germinate,
or might I have gotten some bad seed?

-Fleemo
Old 02-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Fleemo

Did you plant them too deep?

I don't believe so. I planted all the different varieties at about
the same depth, roughly about 1/8" deep. All the other varieties
germinated rather quickly. Just not a single Cherokee Purple, and
only one out of nine Sun Golds. Makes me think that there's something
funky with the seed I received.

I wonder if these seeds need some kind of scarification or other
pre-planting process in order to germinate?

Thanks for the growing info. My seeds didn't come with much in the
way of planting information. I'll try sowing another round of seeds,
see if I have any better luck.

-Fleemo
Old 02-03-2003, 12:03 PM
samuel l crowe

soak the seeds in a weak green tea solution over night before planting, that
helps on seeds that are not very viable.

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

om...

Old 02-03-2003, 04:15 PM

bad seed. is very common for retail consumers. consumers always think it is them,
commercial growers sue. Ingrid

(Fleemo) wrote:

Three weeks ago I planted several different varieties of tomatoes in
cell packs. Most of the tomatoes sprouted long ago, yet none of my
Cherokee Purples have emerged from the soil, and only a single Sun
Gold has sprouted. Are these simply very slow tomatoes to germinate,
or might I have gotten some bad seed?

-Fleemo

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Fleemo wrote:

Did you plant them too deep?

I don't believe so. I planted all the different varieties at about
the same depth, roughly about 1/8" deep. All the other varieties
germinated rather quickly. Just not a single Cherokee Purple, and
only one out of nine Sun Golds. Makes me think that there's something
funky with the seed I received.

I wonder if these seeds need some kind of scarification or other
pre-planting process in order to germinate?

Your seeds might need more light. Try the carrot seed trick. Germinate
between layers of damp paper toweling, then sow.

Thanks for the growing info. My seeds didn't come with much in the
way of planting information. I'll try sowing another round of seeds,
see if I have any better luck.

-Fleemo

[IMG] code is On

OT(ish) - shop bought tomatoes and germinating seeds David[_21_] United Kingdom 17 25-05-2016 01:52 PM
Tomatoes Slow JMS United Kingdom 5 07-05-2010 08:11 AM
Green onions - slow-germinating Higgs Boson Gardening 1 27-12-2009 10:42 PM
germinating primula/primrose Erin & Steve Gardening 1 17-02-2003 01:03 AM
Germinating ornamental grass seeds? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 31-01-2003 03:40 AM