Old 30-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Ken Anderson

Default What's chowing down on my hop plants?

"evilpaul13" wrote in message
om...
(Mark Pruett) wrote in message

. com...
I live in the D/FW area, and I'm growing a Mt. Hood vine that's doing
fine, except that some sort of insect is making a feast of the leaves-
eating holes in the middle and from the outside also. I've been
dusting them with Schultz Garden Safe pyrethrin dust, but I'm not so
sure it's working- it's hard to keep on since it's been raining a lot
lately.

The only insects I've seen near them are these little green/black
metallic looking bugs that I can't identify.

None of the hop growing sites I've looked at mention any sort of
leaf-eating bugs, so I'm not sure what the right course of action is.
Anyone have any ideas?

I'm having the same problem I think!

I planted three cascade (2 are 12" one just broke ground), one
centennial (just broke ground), and two sterling (one is 18" and
getting bigger daily, one hasn't done anything).

The two cascade plants have holes apparently eaten out of the center
of the leaves in slightly odd oval shapes.

If my brother gets his digital camera back from the friend he lent it
to, I could upload a few pictures if someone will host them to see if
we have the same problem and if somebody could suggest a solution.
This spring/summer has been very wet, and half the fruit trees/bushes
and hops I'm growing have one problem or another. The munched on
pattern on the hops seems really similar to the one afflicting the
nectarine trees. (And I know that isn't caused by japanese beetles...)

I just learned how to create and post pics to my web site (lame-ass though
it may be). Send me the pics and your text, and I'll put it up ASAP. No
offense if you go another route. Fix my address if you email me.
Ken A.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:44 AM
mattoleriver

As far as I know there are local university Extension Services throughout
the U.S. There should be people on staff who are familiar with any crop
pests in your area. A description of the damage may be enough to identify
the pest even if you do not live in a hop growing region. Do a search for
your states Extension Service and, from that, locate your local office, or
look in the County Gov't section of your phonebook.
George

Old 02-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Erehwon

(Mark Pruett) wrote in
om:

I live in the D/FW area, and I'm growing a Mt. Hood vine that's doing
fine, except that some sort of insect is making a feast of the leaves-
eating holes in the middle and from the outside also. I've been
dusting them with Schultz Garden Safe pyrethrin dust, but I'm not so
sure it's working- it's hard to keep on since it's been raining a lot
lately.

The only insects I've seen near them are these little green/black
metallic looking bugs that I can't identify.

None of the hop growing sites I've looked at mention any sort of
leaf-eating bugs, so I'm not sure what the right course of action is.
Anyone have any ideas?

It looks like two types of damage.

The outside in damage I've only seen from crickets. It could also be
caterpillars (which are easy to spot) or cutworms (which aren't easy to
spot). I've only seen the crickets causing this type of damage.

The small round holes in the center I've seen from leaf loopers (aka inch
worms) and slugs. Slugs usually start with the bottom leaves and work up,
leaving a lot of small holes which get bigger and bigger until the leaf is
destroyed. The slugs I had trouble with were quite small, about 1/4 inch
long. Slugs are only active at night and can be quite hard to see. The easy
way to check for them is to set a tuna can half full of beer next to the
plant just before dark and check it in the morning. The loopers can usually
be found by inspection in the late afternoon. The ones I've seen are about
3/4 inch long and 1/8 inch in diameter. The loopers usually are on the
upper part of the plant. The loopers have not been a major problem, just a
few holes here and there. The slugs left most of the leaves on the bottom
18 inches looking like lace before I found out what it was.

Old 02-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Warren Place

On 31 May 2003, Patrick Chase wrote:
I just discovered 1/16" to 1/4" tiny green worms on my Cascade and
Fuggles in Eastern MA. They are found on the bottom of the leaves and
hang from threads (webbing) when removed. The look a bit like tiny
green inch-worms (certainly the same color) and cause the same kind of
damage you describe. I've had this problem before and it killed the
whole plant. I'm going to treat with a standard pesticide.

You might try some BT, or Bacillus thurengis (excuse the spelling,
I'm a microbiologist, but I work with yeast) it's a bacteria sold at
garden stores that kills many moth larvae.
Warren Place

Old 02-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Warren Place

I found that earwigs are destroying some ov my plants. A rolled up wet
newspaper laid beside the plant was filled with them the following
morning. A tuna can 1/2 full of water with a little corn oil on the
surface will effectively drown the *******s.
Warren Place