Old 02-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Default It's June But The Furnace Is Still Running

BroJack wrote:

The eight warm winters begging 94-95 were attributed to global warming
as were the dry conditions 97-02.

Fast forward to 2003. The furnace ran damn near every day in May and
is still running. Precip levels here in Md. thru the first five
months are 5.5" above normal and 9" above last year.

Reason: Global Warming.

Go figure.

Weather is the original complex system -- chaos theory originated from an
interrupted run of a meteorological program. So where's the
inconsistency?

Old 02-06-2003, 09:32 PM
brojack

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:53:50 -0400, Chelsea Christenson
wrote:

BroJack wrote:

The eight warm winters begging 94-95 were attributed to global warming
as were the dry conditions 97-02.

Fast forward to 2003. The furnace ran damn near every day in May and
is still running. Precip levels here in Md. thru the first five
months are 5.5" above normal and 9" above last year.

Reason: Global Warming.

Go figure.

Weather is the original complex system -- chaos theory originated from an
interrupted run of a meteorological program. So where's the
inconsistency?

Is that the meteorological cop-out line?

BroJack

Old 02-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Chelsea Christenson

wrote:

BroJack wrote:

The eight warm winters begging 94-95 were attributed to global warming
as were the dry conditions 97-02.

Fast forward to 2003. The furnace ran damn near every day in May and
is still running. Precip levels here in Md. thru the first five
months are 5.5" above normal and 9" above last year.

Reason: Global Warming.

Go figure.

Weather is the original complex system -- chaos theory originated from an
interrupted run of a meteorological program. So where's the
inconsistency?

Is that the meteorological cop-out line?

Do you understand the principles of chaos theory and complex systems? Weather
is unpredictable, not randomly or just "because," but because it's a complex
system. The behavior can be explained, but the explanation is often (usually)
non-intuitive, because intuition doesn't account for the complete range of
interactions within the system.

Old 02-06-2003, 11:20 PM
brojack

wrote:

BroJack wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a crutch to me.

At any rate, based on my admittedly non-scientific observations of the
past half-century, weather predicting is less accurate today than
then, despite satellites and all the other tech advancements.

My Gawd, I cannot tell you how many times during the drought years of
1997-2002 that rain was predicted incorrectly.

If a given set of data led to an inference of rain in the past, but
for whatever reason, hasn't in recent years, then perhaps they should
change the prediction when that set of data is present. Duh.

BroJack

Old 02-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Ann

animaux expounded:

This is all supposition.

And so is global warming. A theory. That they're trying to prove.
And disprove. Theories work both ways.

I'm not a big fan of the global warming hypers. I think we've only
been keeping meterological records for a short period of time, and
that we don't understand all the data. I'm not for pollution, I just
don't believe all the hype. And it is hype. Theoretical pondering on
both sides. It all depends on what side you want to believe.

The historical/geological data can be read to show we're in a normal
upswing lasting 10's of thousands of years. The hypers want us to
believe it's all our fault. I think there is something to it, but not
as much as they want me to believe. When the prove the theory I'll
believe it. Either way.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 03-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Bob Harrington

"Tom Jaszewski" wrote in message

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 15:36:10 GMT, "Bob Harrington"
wrote:

Darned fine weather coming up this week in Seattle

key phrase in Seattle is "this week"!
Beautiful city with as many clouded days as sunny days here!

That it is! Many folks tend to exaggerate the sogginess here, in
reality the rainy season seldom exceeds the period from January to
December...

I like the cooler weather, so plan to take this week of possible high
80s in front of my fan. Wuss, maybe - but rusting is much easier than
tanning.

Bob ^,,^
http://bobqat.com - pictures of Seattle, its weather, and my cat -
amongst other things.

Old 03-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article g6ZCa.1114518$S_4.1149367@rwcrnsc53,
Bob Harrington wrote:
That it is! Many folks tend to exaggerate the sogginess here, in
reality the rainy season seldom exceeds the period from January to
December...

Reminds me of a webcam for Mt. St. Helens. "Mount St. Helens is
located in the Pacific Northwest where is [sic] has either just stopped
raining, is currently raining, or is getting ready to rain."

It says it in the FAQ for the webcam...
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/vol...qs/index.shtml
...and an example image...
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/vol...-clouds2.shtml

-Geoff

Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Chelsea Christenson

wrote:

Do you understand the principles of chaos theory and complex systems? Weather
is unpredictable, not randomly or just "because," but because it's a complex
system. The behavior can be explained, but the explanation is often (usually)
non-intuitive, because intuition doesn't account for the complete range of
interactions within the system.

Sounds like a crutch to me.

"No, I don't know anything about chaos theory, so I'll just gripe." I'll leave you
to it.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
gregpresley

"Bob Harrington" wrote in message
That it is! Many folks tend to exaggerate the sogginess here, in
reality the rainy season seldom exceeds the period from January to
December...

LOL@seldom exceeds the period from January to December

As a Washingtonian, you know how different the climate is on the east side
of the Cascades. I'm in Spokane, and every time I chat with someone from
elsewhere in the country and say I'm from Washington, they say, "oh, where
it rains all the time". Very hard to convince them that there are deserts,
semi-arid regions, steppes, and piney woods parts of Washington in addition
to rain forests.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
gregpresley wrote:

As a Washingtonian, you know how different the climate is on the east side
of the Cascades. I'm in Spokane, and every time I chat with someone from
elsewhere in the country and say I'm from Washington, they say, "oh, where
it rains all the time". Very hard to convince them that there are deserts,
semi-arid regions, steppes, and piney woods parts of Washington in addition
to rain forests.

I haven't lived in Washington, but I can understand the difficulty in
convincing them. I've seen both the east and west sides of the state.
Dramatic differences in climate.

-Geoff

Old 04-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Bob Harrington

"Geoff Cashman" wrote in
message
Bob Harrington wrote:
That it is! Many folks tend to exaggerate the sogginess here, in
reality the rainy season seldom exceeds the period from January to
December...

Reminds me of a webcam for Mt. St. Helens. "Mount St. Helens is
located in the Pacific Northwest where is [sic] has either just
stopped raining, is currently raining, or is getting ready to rain."

It says it in the FAQ for the webcam...
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/vol...qs/index.shtml
..and an example image...

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/vol...-clouds2.shtml

-Geoff

We use Mt. Rainier to our southeast as a forecasting aid. If you can't
see the mountain, it's raining. If you can see the mountain, it's going
to rain.

Old 04-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:36:28 GMT, "Bob Harrington"
wrote:

and my cat

kewl khats!!!

"Nature, left alone, is in perfect balance.
Harmful insects and plant diseases are always present,
but do not occur in nature to an extent which requires the use of poisonous chemicals.
The sensible approach to disease and insect control is to grow sturdy crops in a healthy environment."

Masanobu Fukuoka, One Straw Revolution--1978
Old 10-06-2003, 07:44 PM
wcbanta

Global warming produces many different effects worldwide. some areas may get
wetter, some drier, some warmer and some colder. For example, increased
melting of Arctic glacial deposits could dilute the cold northern seas and
cause the Gulf Stream to sink, causing and unlivable cold climate in
northern Europe. El Nino is another example - it makes some Pacific islands
very wet and cooler while it warms the surrounding seas and kills marine
life by the millions of tons. It also makes for wet winters in the US.

The earth is not simple. Fox News and Rush Limbaugh are simple.
--
WC Banta
3605 Stewart Dr

Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 PM
BroJack

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:43:52 -0400, "wcbanta"
wrote:

The earth is not simple. Fox News and Rush Limbaugh are simple.
--
WC Banta
3605 Stewart Dr
Chevy Chase MD 20515
301-718-4217

Curious how Rush terrifies leftists and whiggers.

BroJack