Old 25-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Tom Engel

Default Is Michigan Bulb Company Back in Business

I just got a catalogue from the Michigan Bulb Company with an Indiana
address. Have they regrouped and who owns the company now? I don't have
time to waste on a company that has had such a bad reputation and (from
personal experience) delivers plants that are dead or dying, but I am
curious. Randy

Old 25-07-2003, 08:32 PM
B & J

Yes, Randy, they are back in business. My wife said she saw an ad in the last Sunday paper's coupon section advertising their "stuff," and I checked on the web at the following site and they popped up: http://michiganbulb.com/index.asp?

John

Old 26-07-2003, 01:42 AM
madgardener

run awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy y!!!!!!!!!!! ( I too went to the site and LORDY LORDY it was ALL there, the LIFETIME guarantee.........the LOW LOW prices, the obscure descriptions........ALL of it!! (amazingly enough, there WAS a red tulip that was a multi flowering type that I got from them once that actually DID come back year after year and was the reason the people who bought my house started putting in flowers. Despite that I moved all my flowers, I did miss a few hidden bulbs and that tulip was one of my misses. A friend who drives by on occaison told me the redness of it draws your eye up into the yard from the street and she says it's a nice size clump of them now, so apparently SOME things do survive...........but I'd still not fall for their "great prices" of stuff. Been there, done that, been burned and finished with them for good.
madgardener

Old 26-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Dave Fouchey

Run away FAST! I was bitten by them once, never again...

Dave

--

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Old 26-07-2003, 04:12 PM
David Hill

"........ I just got a catalogue from the Michigan Bulb Company with an
Indiana address. Have they regrouped and who owns the company now? I don't
have time to waste on a company that has had such a bad reputation and (from
personal experience) delivers plants that are dead or dying, but I am
curious. Randy ...."

Why not ask them????????

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 26-07-2003, 06:32 PM
madgardener

LOL ask them??? Honey these people believe their own lies. Asking them
about their persistance at perpetuating their lie about their company is not
going to get them to admit the known truths. It doesn't work like that
sadly. Wish it did though.....but the number of decent good reputable
nursieries around outnumber them 10 to 1 or even more. (actually more) just
that they try to appeal to the cheaper side of it. Cheap doesn't have to
mean inferior or of less quality if done right. I suspect over the years
(they have been around for 57 years but apparently the money was what
changed it as it is always wont to do) back when they started, they were a
good company that stood behind fairly decent plants and bulbs. Over time
someone saw how easy it was to be a little misleading and eventually it bit
them. That it's now in Indiana doesn't tell me it's improved. But neither
does it tell me it's bad because it is in Indiana. I would have to see
their products to judge them as better than before. I don't cast
unnecessairy stones. I would have given it a different name if it was the
same business but under new managment. Keeping the name and the whole
foundation of what MB is based on is a risky endeavor. Time will tell.
SOMEONE will purchase from them and if the new owners are better, we'll hear
it over time. Not the "been there done that's of the past experiences"
people. I can wait. I ain't gonna be the one to try them out though. g
madgardener

Old 26-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Warren

David Hill wrote:
Could be totally new owners who don't realise the reputation of the

firm
they have bought.

It makes you wonder about their competency if they didn't even research
their purchase well enough to find out just how bad of a reputation they
have. Even if someone got a great deal on the assets of the former
company that included the rights to use the name, why in the world would
they want to use such an infamous name -- unless they're totally
clueless about the business they're trying to get into.

I have found that so often when a company goes bad then the owners

close
down then start up under a new name, time after time.

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Sometimes it gives them a chance to not make the same mistakes they made
the first time, but far too often it's simply a ruse so they can
continue on their previously chosen bad path.

And that also brings up another question. A "company" isn't really
what's bad. It's people who are bad. Even if they don't just start-up a
new company doing the same thing, they don't (usually) just fall off the
face of the Earth. Where do the bad people (other than those that go to
jail) go?

More specifically, if the "new" Michigan Bulb company isn't being run by
the people that made the "old" Michigan Bulb bad, where did those people
go? Are there other companies we need to avoid because they've been
infiltrated with the folks who made Michigan Bulb so infamous?

I was lucky. I never got bit by Michigan Bulb. By the time I was a
potential victim, they were just so infamous, with so many burned
customers all over the country, I knew enough to avoid them. I may be
seven degrees away from Kevin Bacon, but I'm only two degrees away from
multiple people who were burned by Michigan Bulb.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 31-07-2003, 04:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

I believe that they filed a chapter 11 5-7 years ago. Shame since I had
about $130 in credit memos from them
That was before I found native plants. These are probably new people
running the show.

You can always do well buying native plants from your area. What's your
area? I probably have a list of resources?

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Tom Engel wrote:
=

I just got a catalogue from the Michigan Bulb Company with an Indiana
address. Have they regrouped and who owns the company now? I don't
have time to waste on a company that has had such a bad reputation and
(from personal experience) delivers plants that are dead or dying, but
I am curious. Randy
=

--

=

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 -
http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 01-08-2003, 04:12 PM
TOM KAN PA

You can always do well buying native plants from your area. What's your
area? I probably have a list of resources?
____Reply Separator_____

Allison Park, PA 15101

[IMG] code is On

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Scotts Miracle-Grow Company Sues Small Organic Fertilizer Business Tim Campbell Edible Gardening 2 29-07-2007 06:18 AM
From BULB to SEED and back to BULB JandK23 Lawns 0 29-04-2005 03:06 PM
Michigan Bulb Co. PatK Gardening 7 30-03-2005 01:06 AM
Michigan Bulb co?? Mick709 Gardening 14 19-03-2003 03:56 AM