Old 19-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Marley1372

Default Wierd insect...

Latley I have been seeing these flying insects that look like bees but are
quite a bit fatter, and have black and white stripes instead of the usual
yellow. Anyhow, I was deadheading my butterfly bush and its covered with lots
of big fat bumble bees, and the above described insects are actually flying
arround the shrub and hunting them out. When they come across a bumble bee,
they fly into them and knock them completley off of the flower! I saw this
happen several times and it was not just some random thing. Anyone know what
the heck is going on? Im kind of curious.

Toad
Old 19-08-2003, 08:02 PM
TC

Marley1372 wrote:

Latley I have been seeing these flying insects that look like bees but are
quite a bit fatter, and have black and white stripes instead of the usual
yellow. Anyhow, I was deadheading my butterfly bush and its covered with lots
of big fat bumble bees, and the above described insects are actually flying
arround the shrub and hunting them out. When they come across a bumble bee,
they fly into them and knock them completley off of the flower! I saw this
happen several times and it was not just some random thing. Anyone know what
the heck is going on? Im kind of curious.

Toad

Is it this?

http://website.lineone.net/~nigin/white_faced_bee.htm

Old 25-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Marley1372

Thanks for the link, but that isnt it either. I managed to swat one of them to
the ground to have a look and it looks exactly like a white faced bee but these
are much too big.

Toad

Old 25-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Beecrofter

I think what you are seeing is one of the bee flies.

[IMG] code is On

Wierd Iris Flower NewsUser Gardening 6 29-06-2003 10:56 PM
Wierd Idea??? What do you think? Rob Smith Edible Gardening 15 08-05-2003 06:08 AM
Wierd Garden day Ophelia United Kingdom 1 28-04-2003 11:32 PM
Wierd Otto Death Rich Conley Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
Wierd Looking Plants Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 06-03-2003 12:53 AM