Old 08-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Fleemo

Default Help with Compost Tea

I'm making some compost tea and want to be sure I'm doing this right.
I've taken a 5 gallon bucket and added two shovelfuls of compost.
I've taken an old aquarium pump and run an air line to the bottom of
the bucket to aerate the tea. Then filled the bucket with water.

QUESTIONS:

• How long does this tea have to steep? I've read everything from
overnight to two weeks.
• My tap water is chlorinated. Will the chlorine kill off beneficial
bacteria in the compost? If so, will adding chlorine remover used for
acquariums help?
• Is it really necessary to have the air line plugged into a gang
valve for multiple bubble streams, or will one good stream of air
bubbles do the trick?

Thanks for the help.

-Fleemo
Old 08-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Fito

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I'm making some compost tea and want to be sure I'm doing this right.
I've taken a 5 gallon bucket and added two shovelfuls of compost.
I've taken an old aquarium pump and run an air line to the bottom of
the bucket to aerate the tea. Then filled the bucket with water.

QUESTIONS:

. How long does this tea have to steep? I've read everything from
overnight to two weeks.
. My tap water is chlorinated. Will the chlorine kill off beneficial
bacteria in the compost? If so, will adding chlorine remover used for
acquariums help?
. Is it really necessary to have the air line plugged into a gang
valve for multiple bubble streams, or will one good stream of air
bubbles do the trick?

Thanks for the help.

-Fleemo

1. Tea should steep 1- 5 days. It depends on what you feed the "herd".
2. Chlorine kills. No need for a chlorine remover when stirring it every few
hours for 24 hours will do the trick.
3. No need for a gang valve. The microbes get oxygen from the water's
movement at the surface. Thus one air stone is sufficient.

Try he
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...080726617.html

Also read the FAQ at gardenweb.com : http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/soil/

hth,
Fito

Old 08-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On 8 Sep 2003 00:51:12 -0700, (Fleemo) wrote:

I'm making some compost tea and want to be sure I'm doing this right.
I've taken a 5 gallon bucket and added two shovelfuls of compost.
I've taken an old aquarium pump and run an air line to the bottom of
the bucket to aerate the tea. Then filled the bucket with water.

Use about a cup or two of good quality vermicompost. Add a tablespoon
of organic molasses, some kelp extract, and rock phosphate.
If your compost is thermophilic, has gone to 135-150 degrees in
several cycles it may be good as ACT(Aerated Compost Tea). If it's the
typical homeowner stuff find a new source.
Email and I'll give you a source in your area.

remove lasvegas

QUESTIONS:

o How long does this tea have to steep? I've read everything from
overnight to two weeks.

Lab tests, direct counts of bacteria and fungi, conclusively show that
ACT Aerated Compost Tea is of the highest quality when "brewed for
18-24 hours

o My tap water is chlorinated. Will the chlorine kill off beneficial
bacteria in the compost? If so, will adding chlorine remover used for
acquariums help?

Yes chlorine will kill beneficial microbes. If your water treatment
facility uses chloramines it is very persistent. Sodium thiosulphate
(aquarium dechlorinator) is a poor dechlorinator and will likely kill
microbes with its residuals. Put some 5-gallon buckets of water out
in the sun for a day or two, use a carbon filter, or bubble the water
for 24 hours with your pump and stones,

o Is it really necessary to have the air line plugged into a gang
valve for multiple bubble streams, or will one good stream of air
bubbles do the trick?

Using a single stone will NOT provide enough air to keep the ACT
aerated and it will likely go anaerobic.... NOT WHAT YOU WANT!
Use two circular sections of 1/4 porous tubing. One circle at the
right angle formed by the side and bottom of the bucket, an additional
circle about the center of the bottom of the bucket.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 04:18:33 -0400, "Fito"
wrote:

1. Tea should steep 1- 5 days. It depends on what you feed the "herd".

All testing for maximum diversity clearly shows 18-24 hours with
adequate oxygen is ideal.

2. Chlorine kills. No need for a chlorine remover when stirring it every few
hours for 24 hours will do the trick.

Chloramines are persistent and may not be volatized.

3. No need for a gang valve. The microbes get oxygen from the water's
movement at the surface. Thus one air stone is sufficient.

NO NO NO!!! The dissolved oxygen needs to stay of 5mg/L and will not
stay at that level from the surface movement MORE AIR IS NEEDED!!!!

Try he
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...080726617.html

Also read the FAQ at gardenweb.com : http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/soil/

hth,

THE GARDEN WEB INFO IS JUST PLAIN WRONG AND CONTRARY TO ALL
TESTING!!!!

www.soilfoodweb.com

Old 08-09-2003, 06:02 PM
AnonnyMoose

I can buy gallon jugs of compost tea at local nurseries. How do I use it? Do
I dilute it or use it straight (I'd need a ton of it!)? Is application
foliar? How often do I apply?

Thanks.
karen

Old 08-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Pam

AnonnyMoose wrote:

I can buy gallon jugs of compost tea at local nurseries. How do I use it? Do
I dilute it or use it straight (I'd need a ton of it!)? Is application
foliar? How often do I apply?

Thanks.
karen

Most commercially prepared compost teas can be diluted by as much as ten times.
You can use it as a soil drench for fertilizer or to improve soil conditions or
as a foliar spray to address fungal problems and other disease issues. If you
are using it specifically for disease control, it is recommended that you reduce
the initial dilution to 2 or 3 and use weekly during the growing season. For
optimum results, it should be used as soon as possible after it is decanted from
the brewer, but certainly within 10-12 hours.

pam - gardengal

Old 08-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Fleemo

Ya see how even what seems to be a simple subject can result in so
many conflicting opinions? :}

I'm curious, Tom, why wouldn't the "typical homeowner stuff" be good
enough for the tea? Are there really different grades of compost?

I forgot to mention that I did add some organic molasses to the pot.
The kelp exctract and rock phosphate are new to me. I assume you can
find this stuff at a typical garden center, and that they're essential
to the formula?

So for the rings of porus tubing, I'm picturing two concentric circles
a the bottom of the bucket, correct? Where do you find such tubing?

Old 08-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Jay Chan

I have been making some compost tea using an aquarium pump. I have
found that I need to turn the air volume to at least in the middle
level of my aquarium pump in order to get the sweet earthly smell from
the compost tea. If I turn the air volume down to the lowest level
(was trying to save electricity), I will have stinky stuff (I will not
call it compost tea when it smells).

The aquarium pump that I have is the model 9200 (or 9500???) that I
bought from PETCO. It has two air outlets. I find that it is probably
overkill for the 5-gal container that I am using. With one outlet
plugged, and running air volume at mid level, I still can get compost
tea that has sweet earthly smell. I should have bought one model down
that has only one air outlet (and run it at mid level of air volume).

Of course, someone may say that turning the air volume all the way to
the highest level may be even better. I have no idea if that is true
or not. I just want to keep the air volume to be just good enough
without using additional electricity or generating more noise.

I have been pouring compost tea to a small area of my lawn for a
month. So far, I don't see any difference between the area with
compost tea, and the area with plain water. I hope you have a better
luck.

Jay Chan
Old 09-09-2003, 12:02 AM
animaux

Not all compost tea is the same. The state of the art tea is made aerobically.
The aerobic tea made at my favorite garden center:

http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com/

....sells it for 5 dollars per gallon, 6 if they have to supply the jug.

When diluted it can cover 7500 square feet. What you are doing is adding
beneficial organisms to soil, and leaf surfaces to prevent and in many cases
cure certain diseases and pest infestations.

If the compost tea they sell has been on the shelf for a while, it is not
aerobic tea. It also probably has some sort of bacterial suppressant so the
bottle doesn't explode from the organism growth.

That said, what type can you buy?

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:47:25 -0700, "AnonnyMoose"
opined:

I can buy gallon jugs of compost tea at local nurseries. How do I use it? Do
I dilute it or use it straight (I'd need a ton of it!)? Is application
foliar? How often do I apply?

Thanks.
karen

.. .

Old 09-09-2003, 12:02 AM
animaux

On 8 Sep 2003 11:53:16 -0700, (Fleemo) opined:

Ya see how even what seems to be a simple subject can result in so
many conflicting opinions? :}

These results are not mere opinions. They are heavily researched procedures.
www.soilfoodweb.com will give much of that information.

I'm curious, Tom, why wouldn't the "typical homeowner stuff" be good
enough for the tea? Are there really different grades of compost?

Absolutely. There are huge differences in compost, one to another.

I forgot to mention that I did add some organic molasses to the pot.
The kelp exctract and rock phosphate are new to me. I assume you can
find this stuff at a typical garden center, and that they're essential
to the formula?

Most good garden centers sell kelp and soft rock phosphate, but it is not
essential. However, it is optimum.

So for the rings of porus tubing, I'm picturing two concentric circles
a the bottom of the bucket, correct? Where do you find such tubing?

I bought a "skein" of it at Lowes. They sell it along with other drip
irrigation stuff. I bought the T connectors at Walmart in the aquarium section
very inexpensively. I think they cost a dollar each.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:02 AM
AnonnyMoose

Well, it sells, like you say, for about five dollars a gallon. You bring
your own jug and save a few cents. They fill it from the contraption it's
"cooking" in.

So, do you have to use all of it within a few days? Does it die if some is
left in the jug for a week or so?

karen

Old 09-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Fito

wrote:

1. Tea should steep 1- 5 days. It depends on what you feed the "herd".

All testing for maximum diversity clearly shows 18-24 hours with
adequate oxygen is ideal.

2. Chlorine kills. No need for a chlorine remover when stirring it every

few
hours for 24 hours will do the trick.

Chloramines are persistent and may not be volatized.

What does this mean?

3. No need for a gang valve. The microbes get oxygen from the water's
movement at the surface. Thus one air stone is sufficient.

NO NO NO!!! The dissolved oxygen needs to stay of 5mg/L and will not
stay at that level from the surface movement MORE AIR IS NEEDED!!!!

What does this mean? Not sure what you meant here.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:03 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 17:11:55 GMT, Pam wrote:

AnonnyMoose wrote:

I can buy gallon jugs of compost tea at local nurseries. How do I use it? Do
I dilute it or use it straight (I'd need a ton of it!)? Is application
foliar? How often do I apply?

Thanks.
karen

Most commercially prepared compost teas can be diluted by as much as ten times.
You can use it as a soil drench for fertilizer or to improve soil conditions or
as a foliar spray to address fungal problems and other disease issues. If you
are using it specifically for disease control, it is recommended that you reduce
the initial dilution to 2 or 3 and use weekly during the growing season. For
optimum results, it should be used as soon as possible after it is decanted from
the brewer, but certainly within 10-12 hours.

pam - gardengal

Good advise Pam, I think it would be more practical to think in
terms of oz per 1000sq ft for home use. I stand with 64oz/1000 of
concentrate with howevr much water is needed.

Ideas?
Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On 8 Sep 2003 11:53:16 -0700, (Fleemo) wrote:

Ya see how even what seems to be a simple subject can result in so
many conflicting opinions? :}

Well there are conflicting opinions and then there are the known
scientific facts. ATTRA.ORG soilfoodweb.com, and the international
compost tea council and the compost council are sources of the good
science behind composting and ACT.

I'm curious, Tom, why wouldn't the "typical homeowner stuff" be good
enough for the tea? Are there really different grades of compost?

Compost is a really general term. First we probably need a 250-post
wreck.gardens slugfest to sort it out? Nah! Most homeowners do not get
their compost piles to temperature. I insist, and good science backs
up the concept, that the compost has controlled inputs (balanced) and
reaches 135-150 several times in the cycle. I also insist that it be
tested by the manufacturer for biological diversity and stability.

I say vermicompost even when a little pricey for quality stuff because
if it's from a tested source it's likely far more stable and
biologically divers than most composts.

I forgot to mention that I did add some organic molasses to the pot.
The kelp exctract and rock phosphate are new to me. I assume you can
find this stuff at a typical garden center, and that they're essential
to the formula?

Typical garden center? Maybe in OR or WA, they seem to be more
enlightened.

I often use and recommend
www.groworganic.com

So for the rings of porus tubing, I'm picturing two concentric circles
a the bottom of the bucket, correct? Where do you find such tubing?

Yes at the bottom of the bucket.
I found it in a conventional nursery drip irrigation section.
http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp...400&sku=702775

I don't recommend gluing it down, as it needs to be changed every once
in awhile as the bacteria and fungi tend to clog it up. A visual
inspection will tell you when to change it.

Feel free to eail for additional resources.

remove chemicals for valid address

Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On 8 Sep 2003 13:04:30 -0700, (Jay Chan) wrote:

[...]

Jay it's really not a matter of luck!

What are you using for compost and what additioves in your recipe?
Perhaps you are making dark colored water and not ACT?