Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 AM
JNJ

Default Garlic & Mosquitoes.

There's a product out there called "Mosquito Barrier"
(http://www.mosquitobarrier.com) that purports to effectively stink skeeters
out of your yard. This is done by using a garlic extract -- the "fragrance"
goes away quickly for us big noses, but for the skeeters hyper-sniffers it
lingers. They claim it can even be used in a fogger, with oils or soap, and
so forth -- sounds too good to be true.

I've heard of similar solutions (i.e., those using garlic extracts) but I
can't say as I've ever met someone who has used them. Naturally, there are
all sorts of testimonials but if this stuff is so great then why are
resmethrin, pyrmethrin, and other pesticides being used instead? Makes one
wonder....

Someone mentioned this on another group I'm in and I remembered I wanted to
learn more about it a while back, so I thought I'd post over here. Has
anyone actually USED this product or one of the similar products? If so,
how effective was it and how long did the effects last?

James

Old 12-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Heidi

Hi James,
Unfortunately, I do not have any answers. I would like to tack on
another question. How does this affect animals, such as dogs, which
also have super sniffers?

Heidi

Old 12-09-2003, 03:13 PM
JNJ

Unfortunately, I do not have any answers. I would like to tack on
another question. How does this affect animals, such as dogs, which
also have super sniffers?

From the literature, not at all.

According to what I've read, the garlic is pretty much without odor in no
time -- I'd wager even to dogs, although it probably takes a tad longer than
for humans I'd imagine.

Give the info at mosquitobarrier.com a read through -- they talk about what
amounts to most of the questions I would expect are commonly asked; how is
it applied (sprayer/fogger), what's in it (all organic), how concentrated
(2oz per gallon of water), how much does it cover (something like an acre
for a quart), how to store it, is it safe for pets & kids (yes), does it
hold up to rain (yes as long as it's been applied for something like 24
hours), will my yard stink (not after about 15 minutes), and so forth.

They also claim it can take care of grasshoppers as well but they don't go
into much detail on what OTHER insects it might harm/drive away, except to
say ladybugs aren't affected and butterflies are fine as long as it isn't
sprayed directly on them. From the way they talk, it sounds as if this
stuff will actually kill mosquitos it comes in direct contact with (i.e.,
during spraying) which is an added plus IMHO. It's also supposed to be
effective against fleas, ticks, aphids, gnats and similar bugs.

I did a search on "garlic repellent mosquito" on Yahoo and got a decent
number of results to look through but I'm still looking for someone who has
actually used the stuff before I buy it -- at 30 bucks a quart (after
shipping) it ain't cheap.

James

Old 12-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Shepherd

"JNJ" wrote in message
[...]

My brother and I take garlic supplements (1 gel-tab) every day, and even
though we are outside often working on the yard and our cars, we never get
bitten by mosquitoes. Garlic may not work for everyone, but it sure seems to
work for us.

I understand a banana everyday is supposed to help repel mosquitoes also.

Shepherd

Old 12-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Phrederik

Garlic and Mosquitoes? Ick!

I prefer my mosquitoes sprinkled over a nice light broth!!!

snip

My brother and I take garlic supplements (1 gel-tab) every day, and even
though we are outside often working on the yard and our cars, we never get
bitten by mosquitoes. Garlic may not work for everyone, but it sure seems

work for us.

I understand a banana everyday is supposed to help repel mosquitoes also.

A garlic banana split? Sounds yummy! Try sprinkling the top with sundried
tomatoes and a shaking of those caterpillar poops!!!

: )

Old 13-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

JNJ wrote:

There's a product out there called "Mosquito Barrier"
(http://www.mosquitobarrier.com) that purports to effectively stink skeeters
out of your yard. This is done by using a garlic extract

Why is garlic so often ascribed magical properties? We all know it
repels vampires, of course. Maybe, as an edible substance, its powers
are a version of "if it makes your life more difficult, it must be
good for you." It seems to me that any medicinal benefits could only
be achieved by eating a vast quantity every day. I have it on
anecdotal authority that "odorless" garlic supplements *do* produce a
great deal of offensive odor. *People* find garlic breath or
perspiration offensive, but why should we think animals or insects are
similarly affected? We also find garlic enticing and include it, both
raw and cooked, in many recipes.
Old 13-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:32:57 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

JNJ wrote:

There's a product out there called "Mosquito Barrier"
(http://www.mosquitobarrier.com) that purports to effectively stink skeeters
out of your yard. This is done by using a garlic extract

Why is garlic so often ascribed magical properties? We all know it
repels vampires, of course. Maybe, as an edible substance, its powers
are a version of "if it makes your life more difficult, it must be
good for you." It seems to me that any medicinal benefits could only
be achieved by eating a vast quantity every day. I have it on
anecdotal authority that "odorless" garlic supplements *do* produce a
great deal of offensive odor. *People* find garlic breath or
perspiration offensive, but why should we think animals or insects are
similarly affected? We also find garlic enticing and include it, both
raw and cooked, in many recipes.

Indeed, it is a strong herb. I have a row planted in front of my
rose bushes to help with the aphids. I have been taking taking garlic
capsules for 20 years to help reduce cholesterol. If this actually
helps or not I'm not sure (there's no substitute for regular
exercise). Personally, I do not find the odor of garlic nearly as
offensive as tobacco odor. There's a biblical story that tells when
Satan walked on the earth, garlic grew from whereever he stepped. I
use garlic powder (careful--a little goes a long way) in many dishes,
including homemade pizza. In some cases it makes a vegetarian dish
taste like it contains meat.
Old 13-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Tom J

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Indeed, it is a strong herb. I have a row planted in front of my
rose bushes to help with the aphids. I have been taking taking garlic
capsules for 20 years to help reduce cholesterol. If this actually
helps or not I'm not sure (there's no substitute for regular
exercise). Personally, I do not find the odor of garlic nearly as
offensive as tobacco odor.

Now think for a minute. You have been eating garlic for 20 years. It's only
natural you won't be offended by the odor, because you can't smell it on
someone else.

Tom J
who is never bothered by garlic odors either :-)

Old 13-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Salty Thumb

"Shepherd" wrote in
:

I understand a banana everyday is supposed to help repel mosquitoes
also.

I've heard the opposite, that eating a banana attracts mosquitoes and it
seems to be true for me. Eating Vitamin B-something is supposed to repel
them. There was a discussion here about a couple of months ago, complete
with a link to a JAMA article. Should be on google.

-- S
Old 15-09-2003, 03:12 AM
dkat

Sorry, disagree. I found tobacco odor offensive even when I was smoking.
In fact it is what helped me stop smoking. I didn't eat garlic until I
moved out east and the odor never bothered me before or after I began eating
it. The properties, by the by I just read, are supposed to be far better
when eating raw garlic which my son likes but that I like only in pesto.
DKat

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Indeed, it is a strong herb. I have a row planted in front of my
rose bushes to help with the aphids. I have been taking taking garlic
capsules for 20 years to help reduce cholesterol. If this actually
helps or not I'm not sure (there's no substitute for regular
exercise). Personally, I do not find the odor of garlic nearly as
offensive as tobacco odor.

Now think for a minute. You have been eating garlic for 20 years. It's

only
natural you won't be offended by the odor, because you can't smell it on
someone else.

Tom J
who is never bothered by garlic odors either :-)

[IMG] code is On

Ponds & Mosquitoes Suzie-Q Gardening 11 10-05-2011 07:30 PM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute Jez Phillips United Kingdom 23 05-06-2003 03:56 PM
West Nile Virus and mosquitoes. Don Gardening 11 31-05-2003 10:56 AM