Old 03-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Suzie-Q

Default Ponds & Mosquitoes

I'm really just curious. I've often wondered how people (usually
people with lots of money) who have large plots of land with
large ponds (or tiny lakes) control mosquitoes. I guess I'm a bit
of a pessimist, because whenever I think about the possibility of
having a large pond on my property (after I win the lotto and buy
a ranch) I think the number of mosquitoes would make it very
unpleasant.

So what do they use to control mosquitoes? Fish? Giant mosquito
"dunks"??!!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617

Old 03-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Phisherman

A well-stocked pond with minnows and goldfish actually decreases the
mosquito population. Clogged gutters, old tires, bird baths,
watering cans, etc that collect stagnant water are favorite breeding
spots (it takes only a couple tablespoons of water to breed several
hundred mosquitoes.) It does not take a lot of money nor space to
build and maintain a pond. Feeder goldfish and minnows are about 10
cents each. A package of three dunks is about $10.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:03 PM

altho mosquitoes are rampant here, my friend with multiple large ponds in the water
plant business rarely has mosquitoes . too many mouths eating them. fish and
dragonfly nymphs eat mosquito larvae like crazy. Ingrid

Suzie-Q wrote:

I'm really just curious. I've often wondered how people (usually
people with lots of money) who have large plots of land with
large ponds (or tiny lakes) control mosquitoes. I guess I'm a bit
of a pessimist, because whenever I think about the possibility of
having a large pond on my property (after I win the lotto and buy
a ranch) I think the number of mosquitoes would make it very
unpleasant.

So what do they use to control mosquitoes? Fish? Giant mosquito
"dunks"??!!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Beecrofter

Suzie-Q wrote in message ...
I'm really just curious. I've often wondered how people (usually
people with lots of money) who have large plots of land with
large ponds (or tiny lakes) control mosquitoes. I guess I'm a bit
of a pessimist, because whenever I think about the possibility of
having a large pond on my property (after I win the lotto and buy
a ranch) I think the number of mosquitoes would make it very
unpleasant.

So what do they use to control mosquitoes? Fish? Giant mosquito
"dunks"??!!

Fish are the best control, you won't find many mosquitos at all in
water inhabited by fish. You will find fat happy fish just waiting for
the next flush of mosquito larvae to appear.
In waters with no fish at all BT is usually broadcast as granules on
the water surface.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Roy

A pond that has fish is not a problem in regards to mosquitos, but
more of a large mosquito killer. Fish all eat them and their larvae..
Unless you have extremely shallow sides that can't accomodate a fish
then perhaps.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Jimmy G

Many communities have Health Dept's that will give pond owners free
mosquito-eating fish. Here in San Diego, the Health Dept. delivered about a
half-dozen gambuzia (sp.) to me when I told them I built a new pond.

The little guys multiply like crazy & will feed on mosquito larvae, thus
keeping a pond relatively free of these pests.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:02 PM
KCnRichmond

" In waters with no fish at all BT is usually broadcast as granules on
the water surface.

What???
Bt does not harm fish.......Its a BI..........Been using it for years...Bt
is a bacterium that causes disease in some insects (mainly mosquitoes), but
does not harm other animals or plants...OP's and CB's are the ones to look
out for...Check your chems in the dunks you buy....Bt is the good guy...If
it has Carbofuran in it, that's a no-no.......Pyrethroids are a no
also..They are absorbed into bottom muds & silts and produce fish kills in,
obviously, bottom feeders...OP's can bioconcentrate in aquatic life and pose
a hazard to their predators as well....

Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 PM
GrampysGurl

I'm really just curious. I've often wondered how people (usually
people with lots of money) who have large plots of land with
large ponds (or tiny lakes) control mosquitoes. I guess I'm a bit
of a pessimist, because whenever I think about the possibility of
having a large pond on my property (after I win the lotto and buy
a ranch) I think the number of mosquitoes would make it very
unpleasant.

So what do they use to control mosquitoes? Fish? Giant mosquito
"dunks"??!!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

My pond is only about 700 gallons and I use goldfish, if I had a larger pond I
would have it stocked with native fish and let nature take it's course from
there. If your willing to do a little research on the installation of a pond
they aren't as expensive as you think... it's the installation that's going to
cost you. I buy my plants on ebay, I collect rocks where ever I go and I bought
few feeder goldfish that grow into lovely large fish in a couple short years.
My current pond is totally natural, I'm not even running a filter or any type
of pump... I'm using plants and a low fish count to keep the water healthy. My
largest expense was the $100 liner I picked up as a remnant.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT
Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 PM
GrampysGurl

Fish all eat them and their larvae..
Unless you have extremely shallow sides that can't accomodate a fish

Even in the shallowest of areas a minnow can usually get in, my goldfish will
go almost anywhere to get something they really like to eat like larvae and
worms... those guys are pigs.... I normally don't feed them, they are on their
own out there... mean fishy mommy lol.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered User

Fish is the best control, you will not find a lot of mosquitoes in all the fish live in water. You will find that fatty fish are happy just waiting for the next refresh the emergence of mosquito larvae. No fish the waters are for the BT radio is usually on the water particles.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered User

A pond that has angle is not a botheration in commendations to mosquitos, but more of a ample mosquito killer. Angle all eat them and their larvae.. Unless you accept acutely bank abandon that can't accomodate a fish then perhaps.
Types of Grow Lights

[IMG] code is On

Garlic & Mosquitoes. JNJ Gardening 9 15-09-2003 03:12 AM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute Jez Phillips United Kingdom 23 05-06-2003 03:56 PM
West Nile Virus and mosquitoes. Don Gardening 11 31-05-2003 10:56 AM