Old 23-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Me

Default little flies

Hi, been reading posts here the last few days, and have a question which
hopefully someone can help answer I have these little flies inside - was
told by a local greenthumb they were from overwatering my plants - they said
to let the dirt dry out completely and when the plants start to wilt to
water and always let them dry out completely between waterings. I've been
doing that all summer, and still have flies, my poor droopy plants are
starting to look very sad....I've always had indoor plants but never had a
fly problem like this any other ideas on how to get rid of these
buggers?

Old 24-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Shell91

Are they like gnats? If they are they could be living in any fruit you
might have sitting out or even potatoes. You may have to spray your plants
with either a god bug spray or insecticideal soap

Shell

Old 24-09-2003, 04:03 AM
Valkyrie

They are probably those little fungus gnats that like that wet soil in your
plant pots. I was told long ago by an orchid guru to sprinkle cinnamon on
the surface of the soil and they disappear. I don't know if it kills them or
drives them away but it works for me when I occasionally get an infestation
of these critters.

Val

.. .

Old 24-09-2003, 04:03 AM
SAS567

They are probably those little fungus gnats that like that wet soil in your
plant pots. I was told long ago by an orchid guru to sprinkle cinnamon on
the surface of the soil and they disappear. I don't know if it kills them or
drives them away but it works for me when I occasionally get an infestation
of these critters.

Val

Thanks for the cinnamon info, Val.
Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)
Old 24-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Me

"Shell91" wrote in message
.. .
Are they like gnats? If they are they could be living in any fruit you
might have sitting out or even potatoes. You may have to spray your

plants
with either a god bug spray or insecticideal soap

Shell

they are little itty bitty flies - kinda like no see-ems, but they don't
bite us.

I have been spraying the dirt as I water it, turning the dirt too as I do
it...but not down deep by the roots....They don't seem to be attracted to
fruits - I put out some slices of bananas and apples and they didn't go near
it - at least there weren't any when I would check. We do find the
occassional floater in our cups of water though when left out overnight.

Have been putting up these little sticky traps on the windows by the plants
and some in the plants and catches quite a bit

Old 24-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Me

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
They are probably those little fungus gnats that like that wet soil in

your
plant pots. I was told long ago by an orchid guru to sprinkle cinnamon on
the surface of the soil and they disappear. I don't know if it kills them

or
drives them away but it works for me when I occasionally get an

infestation
of these critters.

Val

You know I was thinking on trying the cinnamon, we used that for ants and
worked pretty good....couldnt hurt and would make the house smell good

was told too that maybe sterilizing the dirt by baking it would kill all the
flies and eggs if any....anyone hear of doing that? I would think it would
cook out the nutrients from the dirt.

Thank you for the great suggestion
Shel

Old 08-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Sue

Ants huh? We have the large red ants that have made their home in our
garden. They don't seem to be hurting the plants, but what worries me is
that they may sting someone if they are in the garden weeding or what not.
I read your post about the cinnamon, and I am definately going to try this.
Hopefully this will work for the ants I have.

Sue..