Old 03-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Matt

Default Reputable seed companies

I am searching for a good seed company to order seeds from. The
previous seed company (Sheperds) was real good until white flower farm
took it over. After that, a lot of radishes, lettuce, pumpkins and
other vegetables disappeared from their catalog (even online). I am
looking for a good reputable seed company where I can find these
veggies again. The local nursery (Frank's nursery) here is pure
garbage. They only put 4 or 5 seeds in a pack and charge 8 dollars
for it. For what Sheperds sold those same seeds, I would get 10 seeds
for a buck and change. It was a much better deal.

Please don't email me, respond to the group as those spammers have hit
me very hard.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Old 03-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Dwight Sipler

jen wrote:

www.gurneys.com

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
I am searching for a good seed company to order seeds from...

I used to order from Gurney's but I now have too many seed companies
that I order from, so I have cut back to save on shipping and service
charges. Most of my order goes to Johnny's (http://www.johnnyseeds.com),
Fedco (http://www.fedcoseeds.com), Stokes (http://www.stokeseeds.com),
and Harris (http://www.harrisseeds.com). I also order from Parks
(http://www.parkseed.com) Veseys (http://www.veseys.com) [Canadian/US],
Pinetree (http://www.superseeds.com/home.htm), New England Seed Co
(http://www.neseed.com). Occasionally a few others. I have had no
problems with any of the above. I'm sure there are lots of other good
ones that I haven't tried.

Johnny's, Fedco, and Pinetree are in Maine and know about what grows in
the Northeast. Pinetree is inexpensive, but the seed packages are
somewhat small. Fine for the homeowner, but annoying for commercial
growers. I have specific varieties I want, so it takes a lot of
suppliers to fill out my order. If one supplier had everything their
catalog would probably be like a phone book.

The only thing I used to order from Gurneys that I can't get elsewhere
was a pumpkin. An ugly thing with a strongly netted skin, but the flesh
was great for pies and was low on the stringy scale. However, I don't
have time to make pies anymore.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Stan Moore

You can try Merrifield Garden Center
http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.co...arent=209&pid=
they have a bunch of seeds

om...

http://www.usenet.com
Old 03-11-2003, 06:22 PM
FarmerDill

I am searching for a good seed company to order seeds from. The
previous seed company (Sheperds) was real good until white flower farm
took it over. After that, a lot of radishes, lettuce, pumpkins and
other vegetables disappeared from their catalog (even online). I am
looking for a good reputable seed company where I can find these
veggies again. The local nursery (Frank's nursery) here is pure
garbage. They only put 4 or 5 seeds in a pack and charge 8 dollars
for it. For what Sheperds sold those same seeds, I would get 10 seeds
for a buck and change. It was a much better deal.

Please don't email me, respond to the group as those spammers have hit
me very hard.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

If you are in the north http://www.johnnyseeds.com/ is still a good commpany.
In the south, http://www.willhiteseed.com or http://www.twilleyseed.com/ Many
who have great in the past have been caught up in buyouts and consolidations
which have tarnished their reputations,

Old 03-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Pen

I've recently put my order in for Thompson & Morgan
(www.thompson-morgan.com). It's pricey but full of rare stuff. In
the past I've ordered from McFayden's (www.mcfayden.com) and have had
good service. Would also like to mention Eternal seeds and Seeds of
Change (www.seedsofchange.com) for heirloom vegies.

Here's list of other vegie sites:

http://www.seeds.ca/library/rl/rl.htm