Old 14-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Natty_Dread

Default Forsythias blooming??

I'm in Alexandria, VA, USDA Zone 7. This morning I noticed that two of my
mature forsythias are blooming. They've never done this before; is it
normal? Will the flowers die back and the bushes bloom again in the spring?
They in a side border of my southern-facing front yard, and now that the
leaves have dropped from the trees that border the street, on sunny days
they get nearly full sun pretty much all day. Thanks in advance for any
feedback!

--
======================

Better a bleeding heart than no heart at all.

Old 14-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:21:31 -0500, "Natty_Dread"
wrote:

I'm in Alexandria, VA, USDA Zone 7. This morning I noticed that two of my
mature forsythias are blooming. They've never done this before; is it
normal? Will the flowers die back and the bushes bloom again in the spring?
They in a side border of my southern-facing front yard, and now that the
leaves have dropped from the trees that border the street, on sunny days
they get nearly full sun pretty much all day. Thanks in advance for any
feedback!

Forsythia often blooms in December in your/my climate. Not to worry
(not that you could do anything anyhow). Next spring's bloom may not
be quite as prolific, but the forsythia is used to the climate -- they
know to hold back something.
Old 14-12-2003, 05:02 PM
madgardener

wrote:

I'm in Alexandria, VA, USDA Zone 7. This morning I noticed that two of my
mature forsythias are blooming. They've never done this before; is it
normal? Will the flowers die back and the bushes bloom again in the spring?
They in a side border of my southern-facing front yard, and now that the
leaves have dropped from the trees that border the street, on sunny days
they get nearly full sun pretty much all day. Thanks in advance for any
feedback!

I've had my own mature forsythia's to burst into bloom whenever the
weather warmed up once winter had deffinately set in. I don't think
the silly things know a warm spell.......they just bloom when it's
been cold and when the warmth mimics springtime. Considering the buds
have already been set on your bushes (and the one I have remaining,
since I have almost completely removed the one after whacking away at
it for months now,piece by piece) it's just the amount of warm
sunlight they're getting to trigger bloom. You could cut some branches
right now and bring them inside and have blossoms if you wanted them.
And that they're on a southern facing yard, is another reason they
bloomed for you. Eastern or northeastern and they might not have
bloomed. South and west, most deffinately. I have seen these things
in full bloom in January on southwestern sides of homes after a warm
spell.

Hopefully since your bushes are mature you have lots of branches
loaded with buds for true springtime. (if you do, it's always neat to
cut a few for the house to cheer you up with brief color g)
madgardener up on the cold and gloomy ridge, back in Fairy Holler,
overlooking misty and foggy cloaked English Mountain in Eastern
Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36
Old 14-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

I'm in Alexandria, VA, USDA Zone 7. This morning I noticed that two of my
mature forsythias are blooming. They've never done this before; is it
normal? Will the flowers die back and the bushes bloom again in the spring?
They in a side border of my southern-facing front yard, and now that the
leaves have dropped from the trees that border the street, on sunny days
they get nearly full sun pretty much all day. Thanks in advance for any
feedback!

I see forsythia blooming in December, January, and February here in
east TN (zone 7). Any given plant will bloom at various times, year
to year, depending on the kind of winter we are having, and how the
plant is protected. One forsythia, next to a building, bloomed in
December, but another that's not protected in February. If you see
just a few blooms, it will probably bloom in full next month or two.
You can cut winter stems, put them in a vase or water, and they will
bloom indoors! Beautiful winter-blooming plant.
Old 14-12-2003, 09:32 PM
David Hill

".............I'm in Alexandria, VA, USDA Zone 7. This morning I noticed
that two of my mature forsythias are blooming. They've never done this
before; is it normal? ....................!

That's late, mine flowered months ago.

But seriously, here in the UK the earliest I have seem forsythia flower is
late January whilst the bulk come out around April. this autumn/winter
everything seems to do as it wants not as it is supposed to do.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries