Old 09-01-2004, 06:12 AM
B & J

Default Everything Under Snow

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
"B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom wrote:
The third time was a day of extreme cold in 1994 or
1995 when the governor closed all the school in the state. The high
temperature in the state for the day was a -40 F. A small town not

far
from where we lived set a state record of -60 F. Where we lived
hit a mere -55 F.

"Stephen M. wrote:
The record low temperature for New Mexico was -50 F on February 1,

1951,
in Gavilan which is at an elevation of 7,350 feet.

Frogleg wrote:
John/B&J wrote of MN, not NM. :-)

My apologies. He is talking about the winter of 1995-6 when the
temperture set a Minnesota record of -60 F on Feb. 2, 1996 in Tower at
an elevation of 1,460 feet.

When he compared it to Arizona, I thought he was comparing a neighboring
state. My mistake.

Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

That's AR (Arkansas) not AZ (Arizona), Stephen. ;-) The only fish story I
know from MN (Minnesota) is the following: Ole and Sven went ice fishing
one cold Minnesota winter day. They came home with 300 pounds of ice and
both drowned when they tried to fry it.

I didn't say it was a good fish story, but it's the only fish story I know.
GRIN

You're right about the time and date of that record cold. I received a recap
today from a MN friend via a news article that appeared in the "Minneapolis
Star Tribune" on January 6. Usually the cold spot in MN is a small town
called Embarrass about fifteen miles from where I used to live. It
frequently makes national news as the cold spot in the continental U.S.
Tower was thirty miles away from my former home.

John

Old 09-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Frogleg

Not outstandingly cold (merely 30ish), but weathercritters'
predictions of the past couple of days progressed from "dusting" to
"showers" to "small accumulation" to "up to 5"" (big deal here) by
this noon as snow had been falling for 6-8 hrs. Little problem now,
but falling temperatures and NW wind will make tomorrow a festival of
fender-benders. Right now, snow is mostly in the attractive stage,
decorating trees and bushes and covering up things the mailman can
trip over in the yard.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Ann

"John Catron" expounded:

And where I grew up in Grand Haven, Michigan they didn't shut the schools
down unless we got over five foot of snow.

Howdie, fellow Michigoose! Where I lived in Grand Rapids, we didn't
have to go to school if it was below -10°, because we walked (no, this
isn't an "I walked to school through 5 feet of snow, uphill, both
ways" story G).

John, does Marilyn know you're lurking in rec.gardens now? )

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 10-01-2004, 01:12 AM
paghat

Here's my garden in the summer and taken a few days ago.

http://www.brandylion.com/garden_pan/

And here's the southeast end of my front yard:
http://www.paghat.com/images/frontyard_jansnow.jpg

and here's a bench in the back yard with 'bout eleven inches of snow
neatly piled over the seat:
http://www.paghat.com/images/bench_jansnow.jpg

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 10-01-2004, 02:12 AM
John Catron

just to let you know, Ann........my computer isn't talking to JOhn's
computer which is the hub of the networked computers in this house. He ain't
lurking. Yeah, he's a Michigander........g You grew up in Grand Rapids?
He's told me stories about how the "lake effect" slammed into Grand Rapids
lots of times dumping more snow on you than where he was in Grand
Haven.......John is now gone and I'm stuck with having to come down to the
dragon-cave to communicate. You have no idea how frustrating this is. I HATE
this downstairs "den" (it's also where the washer and dryer are, and is the
only reason I come down here. The cold ass tool room is off of this room to
the east and off THAT is another room where the furnace is and where a lot
of stuff has accumulated. The door on the toolroom is actually a garage
door. Wonderful draft coming in from under that, and it's just bricko block.
No insulation. (the "front" of this room faces north and has one little
casement window and a window in the door. At least the bricko blocks are 9
inches thick or it'd be colder'n a witches tit in a brass bra). The
tropical plants and angel fish in the two aquariums aren't too happy, but
he's rigged up florescent lights for the tropicals and the open aquariums
are providing some moisture in the room.

So here I sit. All alone. Squire is on the road and he's in Florida right
now. On his way I think to Ohio. Not sure. I'm about to undertake the deju
vu adventure of lonliness again. Son is out with his girl type friend and
it's just me and the dogs and cats who are trying to drive me nuts knocking
things off Squire's computer desk...........

He can be sweet sometimes. by the way. But he IS the computer wizard around
here and now that my computer is acting tempermental, I'm stuck. There might
come a time when I can't get online at all if this keeps up. I hope not.
It's my link to the outside world sometimes. sg

If you wanna holler at me, you gotta go thru Squire's e-mail for the time
beings.
madgardener up on the lonely, cold ridge, back in Fairy holler where the
fairies are tucked under a blanket of snow, overlooking English Mountain, in
Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 10-01-2004, 02:32 AM
John Catron

where do you garden? It just goes to show everyone that where there is a
desire to garden, you can do so ANYWHERE! (by the way Mark, if yer looking
for those pruners, you left them in the trellis container out in the snow.
Bad on the blades, dude! g!
madgardener impressed with the ingenuity of others.
"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
In article says...
A mere six or eight inches snow shuts down the town, which is pretty
funny, cuz when I was in Madison two feet & a blizzard shut down nothing
in town.

Old 10-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
where do you garden? It just goes to show everyone that where there is a
desire to garden, you can do so ANYWHERE! (by the way Mark, if yer looking
for those pruners, you left them in the trellis container out in the snow.
Bad on the blades, dude! g!

LOL. I realized I left them out there after I stitched those photos
together. I live in a north side neighborhood of Chicago where buildings
are very close together. My place has no yard whatsoever; every square
foot of land was built on. When I moved here my garden was a 60 foot by
6 foot parkway (the land between the sidewalk and street) which was all
lawn. I converted the grass into a wildflower garden and planted some
trees. Over the years the trees grew very large and a Rose of Sharon
hedge took over the parkway.

A couple of years ago I reinforced the garage for a wildflower garden on
the roof. The space is 12' x 20' (240 sq ft) and I try to squeeze as
many plants up there as possible. There are 2 8'x2'x1' that are for
wildflowers and the rest are individual containers for herbs,
veggies, flowers, vines, etc. Last summer I had 4 tomato plants up there
but they take up too much space and work watering so I'm going with
rosemary and sage in those planters this summer. I'm researching a way
to start a couple of trees up there but I'm not sure how big of a planter
they'll need.

Although I really love living in the city, I miss having a yard with good
sun.

BTW: If anyone is interested there are more pics at:
http://www.brandylion.com/gallery/

Old 15-01-2004, 02:42 AM
Ann

(paghat) expounded:

http://www.paghat.com/snowyjanuary2.html

The flagstone path looks almost like a stream bed. Neat pictures.

Tonight and tomorrow night are supposed to break records around here.
Right now it's 7°, dry as a bone, and very still out there; we're
supposed to get 3-5" overnight. By the morning it will be well below
zero, they say, and tomorrow night we're looking at -10° in Boston,
which means we'll be lower.........Can you say BRRRRRRRRRRRR?
Hopefully we do get that snowcover, although it's a bit late. I wish
everything had had a foot or so on it before the Arctic Express
arrived.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 17-01-2004, 07:32 PM
paghat

I put up two pages just of photos of the shortlived snowy days.
Back yard photos:
http://www.paghat.com/snowyjanuary.html
all yards:
http://www.paghat.com/snowyjanuary2.html