Old 19-01-2004, 11:21 PM
FrankS

Default Bog gardens

I'm thinking of creating a bog garden this year but haven't been able to
find much info on how to do it. Basically, I'm thinking of digging a
shallow depression about 10 ft in diameter and 10 to 12 inches deep and
refilling with about 6 inches of topsoil. I have a natural slope to my yard
so keeping it wet shouldn't be a major problem for me. I would like to
create as much a natural environment as possible with cattail, bulrushes,
horsetails and any other bog type plant I can find. I have about 4 to 6
inches of topsoil over a thick bed of clay. I live in the extreme north of
zone 4 so winters are long and brutal while the summers can be hot as hell.
I want this to be a low maintenance area and I'm not interested in
attracting any wildlife although, if it works, I imagine frogs and garter
snakes may show up.

Does anyone have any experience or info to share with me?

thanks frank

Old 19-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Salty Thumb

"FrankS" wrote in
:

[...]

If you don't get any wildlife you might as well make a little wooden sign
saying "MOTEL - mosquitoes stay free"
Old 20-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Charles

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:11:44 -0600, "FrankS"
wrote:

[...]

I would be wary of the cattails and horsetail, both can be very
invasive. If I were doing it I would include iris, but not
pseudoacorous, it gets out of hand as well.

If you fill it enough to have standing water all the time I would add
some mosquito fish, Gambusia affinis.

--

- Charles
-
Old 20-01-2004, 12:32 AM

[...]

I would recommend finding a good book on bog gardening. For some reason,
straight topsoil doesn't seem too bog-like. You may wish to incorporate
some peat. Peat comes from bogs.

I would stay away from horsetail (equisetum) since it is very invasive and
may take over the entire area. A 10' diameter "bog" is not that much
space.

Old 20-01-2004, 01:38 AM
J Kolenovsky

=

wrote:
=

[...]

Amen on all points.

=

If you fill it enough to have standing water all the time I would add
some mosquito fish, Gambusia affinis.

I know some pond folks who have tried native minnows in ditches along
with a small number of aquarium fish. Green fan-tailed molly with
minnows makes an interesting breed. So does shads and shiners. The price
certainly is right. Did you know there is only one place in the U that
raises Gambusia? In the Midwest, somewhere.
=

--
=

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 20-01-2004, 01:41 AM
J Kolenovsky

C wrote:
=

[...]

It's not that bad.

-- =

Old 20-01-2004, 01:42 AM
David Ross

The Montreal Botanical Garden has an excellent bog section. You
might want to contact the Garden. The English version of its Web
site is http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin/en/menu.htm.

I have two photographs of the bog section at
http://www.rossde.com/Canada_trip/ph...l_garden1.html.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.

Old 20-01-2004, 01:43 AM
J Kolenovsky

I've built 2 and volunteered on a third. I have some .pdf's I can send
you and a 6 page "how to" via fax.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/bogs.html
http://www.plantideas.com/bog/index.html
http://www.pitcherplant.com/bog_making.html
http://www.nelsonwatergardens.com/iwant.html#28 - my local source among
many others like Harris County Flood Control

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com - got pics on the one I built in my
yard here and at
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden

=

Old 20-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Phisherman

wrote:

[...]

I have a pond, about 7,000 gallons or so. It took me 3 weeks to dig
it out. Frogs were watching me dig it out and immediately took it
over. The pond is fed by an underground natural spring. I installed
a standpipe that takes the overflow to a nearby stream. Later, I
surrounded the pond with flagstone. The water was muddy for about a
month, then cleared up. I planted a few aquatic plants. The elodea,
parrot feather, cattail, miniature horsetail, and lilies grew quickly.
Currently I have azola invasive problems and use it to feed the
compost. One year I had to evict a muskrat. Water snakes and herons
can be a problem at times for the larger fish. There's a pond
newsgroup you should check out. I'm in zone 7 with very little pond
freezing.

Old 20-01-2004, 03:02 AM
animaux

I was thinking of doing the same thing this year, but my bog is reserved for
lotus. I have successfully germinated ten seeds of 'Baby Doll' and I have many
of them outside in the pond waiting to be divided up. I think they will do much
better directly in soil in a bog. There will be standing water in mine, so I
will make sure mosquito dunks will always be present.

I do have a pond now which has to be made larger. The one inch comets are now
about 12 inches long and beefy! I am going to build them a larger pond than
they have now. Around that pond I will plant nothing but horsetail in the soil,
but that's only because it will be raised and in no way in touch with any other
part of my gardens. I also have miniature cat tails and star grass, which
smells divine. Sagittaria is also beautiful.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:11:44 -0600, "FrankS" opined:

ABG Bog Gardens danny Orchid Photos 1 28-05-2007 09:59 PM
Bog gardens & String Algae Stephen M. Henning Gardening 6 24-01-2004 07:12 PM
Problem Area - Bog Garden? Bot Grl Gardening 9 24-02-2003 02:51 AM