Old 07-02-2004, 11:02 PM
H Hornblower

Default Vermiculite now illegal?

I tried to purchase a bag of vermiculite in a store in Ohio
yesterday. The clerk said they didn't carry it anymore because it was
illegal. Any truth to this?
I remember something a while back about prolonged exposure and
cancer risk but it wasn't garden related.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Frank Logullo

"H Hornblower" wrote in message
I tried to purchase a bag of vermiculite in a store in Ohio
yesterday. The clerk said they didn't carry it anymore because it was
illegal. Any truth to this?
I remember something a while back about prolonged exposure and
cancer risk but it wasn't garden related.

Out of curiousity I ran it through a chemical regulatory database I have
access to and found no designations of carcinogenicity.
Frank

Old 08-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Stephen M. Henning

H Hornblower wrote:

I tried to purchase a bag of vermiculite in a store in Ohio
yesterday. The clerk said they didn't carry it anymore because it was
illegal. Any truth to this?
I remember something a while back about prolonged exposure and
cancer risk but it wasn't garden related.

Perlite is usually considered botanically equivalent to vermiculite
provided it is sold for botanical/horticultural purposes. Masonry
perlite may contain large quantities of boron and harm plants.

"Asbestos in Vermiculite Garden Products

Because it provides aeration and drainage, vermiculite has been used in
fertilizers, pesticides, potting mixes, and composts. However, this mica
ore may contain asbestos. In a study of gardening products containing
vermiculite, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) found trace
amounts of asbestos in 17 of 38 products tested ( Sampling and Analysis
of Consumer Garden Products that Contain Vermiculite, EPA, August 2000
). Four of these products contained substantial amounts of asbestos:
Schultz's Horticultural Vermiculite, Earthgro's Best Vermiculite,
Hoffman's Vermiculite and Ace Horticultural Grade Vermiculite.

Although the EPA and the Consumer Product Safety Commission believe that
the potential hazard to consumers is low, many consumer advocates
disagree ( Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 23, 2000 ). They point out
that garden products are not labeled for asbestos content, and that the
EPA has found it necessary to issue instructions concerning vermiculite
in garden products. The EPA recommendations include using premixed
potting soils, which are moist and less likely to generate dust, and
using alternatives to vermiculite such as peat, sawdust, perlite or
bark. The agency also recommends that gardeners who do use straight
vermiculite keep the material damp, use it in a well-ventilated area,
and avoid getting vermiculite dust on their clothing."
[http://www.asbestosnetwork.com/exposure/ex_consumer.htm]

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 08-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Ricky

"H Hornblower" wrote in message
I tried to purchase a bag of vermiculite in a store in Ohio
yesterday. The clerk said they didn't carry it anymore because it was
illegal. Any truth to this?
I remember something a while back about prolonged exposure and
cancer risk but it wasn't garden related.

No. Home Depot has bags of it.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Phisherman

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:42:24 GMT, H Hornblower wrote:

I tried to purchase a bag of vermiculite in a store in Ohio
yesterday. The clerk said they didn't carry it anymore because it was
illegal. Any truth to this?
I remember something a while back about prolonged exposure and
cancer risk but it wasn't garden related.

I just bought some in Tennessee. But your laws may be different. You
might be able to oder it online--the shipping should be cheap as this
stuff is very lightweight. Sand or perlite are alternatives to
starting suttings. I've used vermiculite for years, although never
inhaled nor smoked it.
;-)

Old 08-02-2004, 05:25 AM
madgardener

inhaled or smoked? are we talking vermiculite or good ganja?? GBSEG
sorry couldn't resist, since it was Marley's birthday yesterday buffalo
soldier......................maddie

Old 08-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
H Hornblower wrote:

I tried to purchase a bag of vermiculite in a store in Ohio
yesterday. The clerk said they didn't carry it anymore because it was
illegal. Any truth to this?
I remember something a while back about prolonged exposure and
cancer risk but it wasn't garden related.

My mom, a lifelong nurseryman, has COPD now. She's on oxygen 24/7,
since age 74. She's 78 now.

The MD's think it's because of lifelong exposure to vermiculite
in her greenhouses.

She never smoked and was never around smokers. She's an RN.

I still use vermiculite in my potting mix (Cornell mix, same as my mom
always used) but am careful to not breathe around it. Don't know why, as
I'm a smoker.

Since we don't have health care for poor people in this country, I'm
going to die young, so may as well drink and smoke and not worry about
it. The govt. doesn't give a shit about anyone who's poor and votes
democrat anyway. If we can't kick major bucks to the Repub's, no one
gives a shit about us, so we die.

Jan
Old 08-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Pam - gardengal

"H Hornblower" wrote in message
I tried to purchase a bag of vermiculite in a store in Ohio
yesterday. The clerk said they didn't carry it anymore because it was
illegal. Any truth to this?
I remember something a while back about prolonged exposure and
cancer risk but it wasn't garden related.

Agricultural vermiculite is not illegal. There was a scare awhile back
regarding vermiculite containing asbestos however that pertains to
construction materials containing vermiculite. Most ag. vermiculite is mined
at a different location than that used in the construction industry and is
asbestos-free. All vermiculite does contain tiny little particles/shards of
mica, which can be dangerous if inhaled over an extended period. A mask like
that used when working with peat or Portland cement should remove any
particulate matter and avoid any danger.

FWIW, perlite is a far better additive to potting mixes and soil for
increasing drainage, It doesn't absorb water and breakdown over time as
vermiculite will.

pam - gardengal

Old 08-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Tallgrass

Jan Flora wrote in message ...

My mom, a lifelong nurseryman, has COPD now. She's on oxygen 24/7,
since age 74. She's 78 now.

The MD's think it's because of lifelong exposure to vermiculite
in her greenhouses.

She never smoked and was never around smokers. She's an RN.

I still use vermiculite in my potting mix (Cornell mix, same as my mom
always used) but am careful to not breathe around it. Don't know why, as
I'm a smoker.

Since we don't have health care for poor people in this country, I'm
going to die young, so may as well drink and smoke and not worry about
it. The govt. doesn't give a shit about anyone who's poor and votes
democrat anyway. If we can't kick major bucks to the Repub's, no one
gives a shit about us, so we die.

Jan

It is not just the poor that cannot get healthcare. Anyone with more
than a hangnail of a pre-existing condition is deemed un-insurable.
After all, who can make a profit on somebody that they know is going
to get sick and actually USE the healthcare insurance.

Linda H.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:42 PM
DavidPT40

I see your point, but I think that is a major incentive to not smoke, drink,
or eat unhealthy foods.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Mrs. Fricker

Jan Flora wrote:

My mom, a lifelong nurseryman, has COPD now. She's on oxygen 24/7,
since age 74. She's 78 now.
The MD's think it's because of lifelong exposure to vermiculite
in her greenhouses.
She never smoked and was never around smokers. She's an RN.

I'm a smoker.

Second hand smoke may have contributed also.