Old 14-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Uncle_Jarvis

Default Dracaena marginata (indoor) - White insect attack

Hi,

We've had a Dracaena marginata indoors since about Christmas. It's
doing great, new growth has been developing and all seemed well.

Then we noticed some white 'fluff' at the base of the new growth areas
at the top of the branches. On closer inspection we can also see what
look like small white woodlouse. More worryingly, these are eating
away at the leaves.

We purchased some Provado Bug Killer from the local nursery but this
doesn't seem to have helped. Particularly as the 'white fluff' (which
I presume is eggs?) is deep in the base of the new leaves.

What can we do to get rid of these bugs? Does anyone know what they
are?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 14-02-2004, 04:32 PM
WiGard

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:30:18 -0800, Uncle_Jarvis wrote:

Hi,

We've had a Dracaena marginata indoors since about Christmas. It's doing
great, new growth has been developing and all seemed well.

Then we noticed some white 'fluff' at the base of the new growth areas at
the top of the branches. On closer inspection we can also see what look
like small white woodlouse. More worryingly, these are eating away at the
leaves.

We purchased some Provado Bug Killer from the local nursery but this
doesn't seem to have helped. Particularly as the 'white fluff' (which I
presume is eggs?) is deep in the base of the new leaves.

What can we do to get rid of these bugs? Does anyone know what they are?

Many thanks in advance.

I have a home remedy which seems to work find on some houseplant insects.

1/4 cup of denatured alcohol (isopropyl)
3/4 cup of water
1/2 tsp of Dawn brand dish soap

Put in a spray bottle and spray the plant.
Monitor the plant.
Repeat the spray about 2 weeks later.
If there is additional activity, repeat again.

I have tried this on tropical hibiscus with no negative effect on the
plant. I had spider mites. They are now gone.

Sometimes I have noticed that soil which never seems to dry out attracts
critters. Keeping a gentle breeze across plants may help. You have to
decide for yourself.

If my brew works, please post. This is a formula that I have been using
for about 6 months with no adverse effects. It needs more testing to make
sure it is the inexpensive and viable control that it seems to be.

Old 14-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Amber L.

WiGard wrote:

I have a home remedy which seems to work find on some houseplant insects.

1/4 cup of denatured alcohol (isopropyl)
3/4 cup of water
1/2 tsp of Dawn brand dish soap

Put in a spray bottle and spray the plant.
Monitor the plant.
Repeat the spray about 2 weeks later.
If there is additional activity, repeat again.

I have tried this on tropical hibiscus with no negative effect on the
plant. I had spider mites. They are now gone.

Sometimes I have noticed that soil which never seems to dry out attracts
critters. Keeping a gentle breeze across plants may help. You have to
decide for yourself.

If my brew works, please post. This is a formula that I have been using
for about 6 months with no adverse effects. It needs more testing to make
sure it is the inexpensive and viable control that it seems to be.

Suggest you substitute 2 cups muriatic acid for the 3/4 cup of water.
It is available at any swimming pool supply store and works wonders on
insects.

Old 14-02-2004, 05:32 PM
WiGard

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:34:00 -0500, Amber L. wrote:

Suggest you substitute 2 cups muriatic acid for the 3/4 cup of water. It
is available at any swimming pool supply store and works wonders on
insects.

You are kidding, of course.
If you are not, suggestions such as yours in the hands of the gullible
will surely harm something or someone.
Old 15-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Sed5555

Then we noticed some white 'fluff' at the base of the new growth areas
at the top of the branches. On closer inspection we can also see what
look like small white woodlouse.

Sounds like mealy bugs. See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...ts/mealy2b.htm
sed5555

Old 15-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Ann

WiGard expounded:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:34:00 -0500, Amber L. wrote:

Suggest you substitute 2 cups muriatic acid for the 3/4 cup of water. It
is available at any swimming pool supply store and works wonders on
insects.

You are kidding, of course.
If you are not, suggestions such as yours in the hands of the gullible
will surely harm something or someone.

No, not kidding, trolling. We've seen this kind of dreck before. Of
course you shouldn't use muriatic acid on anything living, like
plants, or people! But trolls don't care who they hurt.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 15-02-2004, 03:16 AM
WiGard

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:59:38 -0500, Ann wrote:

WiGard expounded:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:34:00 -0500, Amber L. wrote:

Suggest you substitute 2 cups muriatic acid for the 3/4 cup of water.
It is available at any swimming pool supply store and works wonders on
insects.

You are kidding, of course.
If you are not, suggestions such as yours in the hands of the gullible
will surely harm something or someone.

No, not kidding, trolling. We've seen this kind of dreck before. Of
course you shouldn't use muriatic acid on anything living, like plants, or
people! But trolls don't care who they hurt.

I hope you don't think I'm a troll.
Old 15-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Uncle_Jarvis

(Sed5555) wrote in message ...
Then we noticed some white 'fluff' at the base of the new growth areas
at the top of the branches. On closer inspection we can also see what
look like small white woodlouse.

Sounds like mealy bugs. See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...ts/mealy2b.htm
sed5555

Thanks to all of the replies (although I'm not sure who to believe on
the remedies!).

They look exactly like the picture of mealybugs. Thanks, now I know
what they are.

Old 15-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Ann

WiGard expounded:

I hope you don't think I'm a troll

Oh, no, of course not! I was talking about Amber L.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 15-02-2004, 06:39 PM
WiGard

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:52:19 -0500, Ann wrote:

WiGard expounded:

I hope you don't think I'm a troll

Oh, no, of course not! I was talking about Amber L.

Whew! Thanks.