Old 22-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Laurie

Default The case of the shrinking planters

I have 16 wooden planters on my deck. I have horses wandering around the
acreage who would eat anything planted down on terra firma, so my gardening
is pretty limited to these planters they can't reach.

They are 3' X 1.5' in size. They are 5 years old now and the soil level has
dropped enough that I want to raise it. But I have a lot of perennials like
lavender, daisies, etc that were cut back properly and still live here and
there in the planters. In the past, I would buy mainly annuals to supplement
the resident perennials. So, experts....what would be the best way for me to
raise the soil level without just uprooting everything and starting all
over? Do I just go out now and buy enough soil to pour over the top, or do I
wait until the perrenials get high enough so they wouldn't be "drowned" by
the addition of the soil? Or something else altogether??

Thanks for any ideas

Laurie

Old 22-02-2004, 07:12 PM
David J Bockman

After 5 years the root systems have probably spread to such a degree that
going in and completely rejuvenating the soil might be a good idea. I would
pop all the perennials out (dividing those that need it at the same time),
and then work via shovel and hoe a great deal more organic material,
compost, shredded leaves, etc. into the existing soil. I would break up
and/or remove big fibrous root masses and replace with new soil, then
replant the perennials.

Dave

et...

Old 22-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Laurie

The top of my planters are about mid-thigh in height. A totally
back-breaking height for much labor. This will be interesting. Thanks for
the suggestions!

Old 22-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Laurie

Old 23-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Pen

You can add soil, a little once in a while, to slowly raise the
surface level but it really depends on what kinds of plants you have.
Many sedums can grow on top of new soil piled on the old plants. In
contrast, some irises need their roots to be near the soil level.
What are you growing in these containers?

Old 23-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:38:33 GMT, "Laurie"
wrote:

[Planters] are 5 years old now and the soil level has
dropped enough that I want to raise it. But I have a lot of perennials like
lavender, daisies, etc that were cut back properly and still live here and
there in the planters. In the past, I would buy mainly annuals to supplement
the resident perennials. So, experts....what would be the best way for me to
raise the soil level without just uprooting everything and starting all
over?

David's advice is probably best for a thorough job. OTOH, being on the
lazy side, I would probably try gradually adding soil, compost, etc.
all *around* the plants and in any visible dips. Not enough to *drown*
the plants, but just to encourage them to hitch up a bit. I would not
just dump in a bunch of dirt and hope for the best.

Old 23-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Cereus-validus

Maybe next time you won't buy those cheap planters made out of wool?!!!

Face it, babe. No horsing around this year. You are going to be getting your
hands dirty and working up a sweat.

Come springtime, you will be taking out all your plants and replanting them
with fresh soil!!!

et...

Old 23-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Laurie

Ah, tough love! The planters were built for me by some handymen and aren't
allll that shabby. I'll bite the bullet and dig up the planters that have
some perennials, I'll do a more lazy job on the planters that are just full
of things like last year's petunias and such. Thank you, everyone, for your
ideas!

Old 23-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Laurie

By the way, I live in the Northwest in the Cascade foothills in zone 6-7.
The mornings are still ice-covered and frosty. Should I start this now, or
when it stops freezing at night. I don't want to shock my daisies.

Another question.....I had a huge potato tree in a big round planter. It was
cut back last year. Do those things come back good enough to keep him? Also,
I have a very large buddleia, about 6' tall, that I cut back and all, but is
still full of leaves and branches and looking pretty good. Should I scratch
in some new soil and such? I got him last year and he is in his own big pot
on wheels, so his soil level isn't sucky like the planters.

Old 23-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/23/04 10:23 AM, in article
, "Laurie"
wrote:

By the way, I live in the Northwest in the Cascade foothills in zone 6-7.
The mornings are still ice-covered and frosty. Should I start this now, or
when it stops freezing at night. I don't want to shock my daisies.

I'd wait to do the perennials until the frost out the ground.

Another question.....I had a huge potato tree in a big round planter. It was
cut back last year. Do those things come back good enough to keep him?

Can you point me to a website?

Also,
I have a very large buddleia, about 6' tall, that I cut back and all, but is
still full of leaves and branches and looking pretty good. Should I scratch
in some new soil and such? I got him last year and he is in his own big pot
on wheels, so his soil level isn't sucky like the planters.

At little organic fertilizer should do the trick.

Cheryl