Old 06-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

Default Mower deck Q

Does this NG have an FAQ? This is probably a question asked too often but
please forgive mine ;-) I do not post nor read this group but have
received muchly appreciated answers to questions in the past from other
general interest questions. I have also donated answers to questions on this
cyber format.
I have owned a few riding garden tractors with wide swath cutting decks.
I have just purchased a new one and was wondering if there is something that
can be done to reduce or eliminate the clumping or attaching of clippings to
the cavity side of the deck? I was hoping that as the deck is brand new and
shiny a spray-on or paint-on treatment could be applied. Is there a bristle
devise that can be attached to the blades to clean while the three blades
are rotating? Blade design?
I try not to mow when the grass is wet or damp but when the grass is
actively growing there is no way around this. The mower is used for a two
acre lawn and it is quite a bummer when the blades sound like a helicopter
from a clogged deck. Thanks for any help!
Regards, Steve.

---

Old 06-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Dog Nuts

Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
[...]

I have used silicone-based lubricant with some success, but have had the
best luck with Pam cooking spray.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Beecrofter

I try not to mow when the grass is wet or damp but when the grass is
actively growing there is no way around this. The mower is used for a two
acre lawn and it is quite a bummer when the blades sound like a helicopter
from a clogged deck. Thanks for any help!
Regards, Steve.

---

Dull blades make mash of the grass, sharp blades clog less.
Sharpening the blades each time you mow will probably correct the problem.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Roy

On 6 Mar 2004 16:22:53 -0800, (Beecrofter) wrote:

=== I try not to mow when the grass is wet or damp but when the grass is
=== actively growing there is no way around this. The mower is used for a two
=== acre lawn and it is quite a bummer when the blades sound like a helicopter
=== from a clogged deck. Thanks for any help!
=== Regards, Steve.
===
===
=== ---
=== Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).
===
===Dull blades make mash of the grass, sharp blades clog less.
===Sharpening the blades each time you mow will probably correct the problem.

I would hate to think I had to sharpen my blades every time I mowed
the lawn, especially if it is like it was last year when it was a
season of nothing but constant lawn mowing . A dirty or caked up
deck with old junk will also clog up the mower pretty quick especially
if its wet, and to be honest, there is a lot of mower decks out there
on various brands of equipment that are just prone to clogging more
frequently than others are, no matter what the name is or how much yu
paid for it. My old JD 180 could cut grass wet, dry or very thick and
never get clogged up, but my new JD GX 335 w/54c deck does ot take
kindly to wet grass even with sharp blades.lawn mowing.

Look under some decks and see those extra long bolts protuding down in
the cutting area, clunky spindle housings, the support bars to keep
the deck from twisting at the discharge chute, improperly adjusted
decks, etc. Just slow down when cutting wet grass and always mow with
the engine at full throttle.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 08-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Hawkeye

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

I used to mow with a man who had contracts for condos, and he used to use
the oil that he saved from the oil changes he did on his cars. It seemed to
work pretty well. We just brushed it on the underside.

M2CW,
Hawkeye

Old 08-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Beecrofter

A dirty or caked up
deck with old junk will also clog up the mower pretty quick especially

I would hate to think I had to sharpen my blades every time I mowed
the lawn, especially if it is like it was last year when it was a
season of nothing but constant lawn mowing .

The man is mowing 2 acres.
Dull blades make the grass look bad about an hour after the cut when
all the frayed
tips dry and give the lawn a smoky appearance. In addition to this
they promote turf disease by providing more open surfaces for pathogen
entry.
It's just like a machine shop, the cutters are dull we need more
horsepower.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Roy

But surely not just after mowing 2 acres of grass and then resharpen
them. If its that dirty and dusty to erode the edge or dul the
blades, he need to plant more grass or poick up some rocks and trash
before cutting the grass. I maintain 5 to 6 acres all of it mostly
pure sand, with bahia and centipede grasses, and don;t have problems
with blades requireing getting sharpened before every use.

I have a machine shop as well, and have endmills and cutters that have
been in use for some time, but I don't sharpen them before every
use......Clogged up decks is one thing, dull blades and poor cutting
is another, and to some extent they do go hand in hand.

On 8 Mar 2004 07:13:50 -0800, (Beecrofter) wrote:

===A dirty or caked up
=== deck with old junk will also clog up the mower pretty quick especially
===
===
=== I would hate to think I had to sharpen my blades every time I mowed
=== the lawn, especially if it is like it was last year when it was a
=== season of nothing but constant lawn mowing .
===
===The man is mowing 2 acres.
===Dull blades make the grass look bad about an hour after the cut when
===all the frayed
===tips dry and give the lawn a smoky appearance. In addition to this
===they promote turf disease by providing more open surfaces for pathogen
===entry.
===It's just like a machine shop, the cutters are dull we need more
===horsepower.

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com

Old 09-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Kay Lancaster

the cavity side of the deck? I was hoping that as the deck is brand new and
shiny a spray-on or paint-on treatment could be applied. Is there a bristle

Try "slip plate"... it's a paint-on or spray-on graphite material that
is used on farm wagons and such to help them stay unloaded. You'll probably
find it at the local farm equipment dealer.
http://www.slipplate.com

Old 10-03-2004, 04:36 PM
KCnRichmond

FAQ:
What type mower?
How high are you cutting?
Engine at maximum?
What type grass?
Are you mulching, side discharge, have you dethatched lately or can you bag?
(I know its a lot, but.....)
Have you fertilized lately, and with what? (NPK?)
Been to www.Scotts.com ?

Old 13-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

Thanks to all that have replied! I will;
1/ Use an angle grinder to trim bolts protruding into cavity of mower deck
area to reduce obstructive intrusion to the flow of clipping from the deck
and paints bare metal.
2/ Adjust "exit flap" to allow freedom of clippings to scatter and creating
less back pressure on exiting clippings and encourage freer flow at the
exit.
3/ Find some of the "slip plate" finish. Use some of the Pam cooking spray.
4/ Keep blades sharp but not at every use, that kind of time I do not have.
5/ Order a load of earth to even out some of the ground unevenness in the
lawn.
6/ Purchase a pressure washer with an extension tip and rinse out clippings
from cavity after each use.
7/ Slow down and adjust the blades to a higher cutting setting. (have been
guilty of cutting too short as we leave this house to go to the lake for
three days each week.)
FAQ:
What type mower? *** Just a Sears 25 Hp 50" swath
How high are you cutting? ****about 3" height.
Engine at maximum? ****Yes
What type grass? Well....Not any fancy grass, and if it be known I use no

insecticides or herbicides. I am a bird watcher and do not mind the busy
blackbirds, makes me joyful to have a property lucky enough to attract four
or more pairs of bluebirds every season. Sparrows and finches love the
dandy lions.
The tree swallows love the lawn mower while I cut! It is a joy to watch how
close they come to the machine. In total between my neighbour we keep about
ten acres of lawn cut. +/- I/we are surrounded by conservation land and
wildlife abounds....so it is a very fancy short pasture.
Are you mulching,**** No

side discharge, ****Yes
have you dethatched lately**** Once a year
or can you bag ****When the mower leaves rows of clipping I do sweep
Have you fertilized lately, and with what?**** Just a 55-00-00 at the

beginning of Aprill to green it up and at the end of June with 35-00-00
(NPK?)**** Sorry, I do not know what this is.

Been to www.Scotts.com ?

---

[IMG] code is On

Mower deck Q. Steve & Chris Clark United Kingdom 0 06-03-2004 08:22 PM
Cleaning mower deck... Andy & Lucinda Lawns 1 10-05-2003 03:32 PM
Simplicity mower deck LB Gardening 0 03-05-2003 05:08 PM
JD LT160 mower deck problem Chad Graybill Lawns 2 30-04-2003 11:56 PM
Anyone tried the mower deck Wash Port? CNB Lawns 0 03-04-2003 01:08 PM