Old 08-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Sue Clotere

Default Grubs

We have a vegetable garden, our neighbor has a large lawn. We now have
grubs in our food garden. Has anyone heard of " Milky Spore"? Is it
safe to use in a vegetable garden? Where can I find it? From Sue in
San Rafael, Ca.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Sue Clotere" wrote in message
om...
We have a vegetable garden, our neighbor has a large lawn. We now have
grubs in our food garden. Has anyone heard of " Milky Spore"? Is it
safe to use in a vegetable garden? Where can I find it? From Sue in
San Rafael, Ca.

Milky spore is considered an organic control (biocontrol, actually) and
should be perfectly safe to use on a vegetable garden, however I would
question your need. California and the rest of the west coast is not yet
plagued by Japanese beetle (praise the Lord!) and not all grubs are harmful
or will result in adults that are harmful. Ground beetles, perhaps the most
common in our area, are very benign and helpful creatures, consuming all
manner of less desireable pests. I'd investigate what these grubs grow into
before wiping them all out.

pam - gardengal

Old 09-03-2004, 04:04 AM
Sue Clotere

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message news:Fj%2c.523389$na.1180846@attbi_s04...
[...]

Thanks Pam, Last year we caught one of the beetles & took it to the
local extension, but they could'nt tell us what type of beetle it was.
We had it in an airtight jar, & it was still alive 2 weeks later. Can
you tell me if the "Milky Spore" will kill the earthworms.? We don't
want that either.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Pam - gardengal" wrote

Milky spore is considered an organic control

Being organic doesn't have anything to do with being safe. Yes Milky
spore is safe and is organic. However, anthrax and rat feces are
natural organic materials and neither is safe. They occur naturally in
grain when it is improperly stored. Synthetic table salt and water are
not organic and are safe. Synthetic salt and water are more pure than
natural salt and water. Organic and safe are not equivalent. Synthetic
and unsafe are not equivalent. There is no correlation.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 09-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Pam - gardengal" wrote

Milky spore is considered an organic control

Being organic doesn't have anything to do with being safe. Yes Milky
spore is safe and is organic. However, anthrax and rat feces are
natural organic materials and neither is safe. They occur naturally in
grain when it is improperly stored. Synthetic table salt and water are
not organic and are safe. Synthetic salt and water are more pure than
natural salt and water. Organic and safe are not equivalent. Synthetic
and unsafe are not equivalent. There is no correlation.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
Grubs Heather Gardening 29 14-04-2003 03:56 AM
Grubs Heather Roses 3 11-04-2003 04:32 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM