Old 13-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Bill Spohn

Default Rosemary

We had an unusually cold day or two this winter (zone 8, bordering on 9) when
it went down to -9 C.(it usually hovers around freezing or maybe 2 or 3 degrees
below).

I lost a large Rosemary bush, and I guess I had forgotten that it was a bit
tender (others in less exposed locations came through without blinking).

Do people in less clement areas normally keep Roesmary as a pot plant?
Old 13-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Bill Spohn" wrote in message
We had an unusually cold day or two this winter (zone 8, bordering on 9)

when
it went down to -9 C.(it usually hovers around freezing or maybe 2 or 3

degrees
below).

I lost a large Rosemary bush, and I guess I had forgotten that it was a

bit
tender (others in less exposed locations came through without blinking).

Do people in less clement areas normally keep Roesmary as a pot plant?

I'm not sure what -9C translates to on the Farenheit scale, but I am also in
zone 8 (PNW) and we had a few lows this winter into the lower teens,
approximately 15-20 degrees below freezing. Rosemary should be perfectly
hardy in our areas even under those occasional unseasonal circumstances so
I'd guess that perhaps drainage is not as sharp as it could be. More often
than not in our mild climates, it is not the cold that kills plants but
winter wet rotting the root system.

FWIW, my 6 y.o. rosemary - 'Tuscan Blue' - came through the winter
unscathed, as did a number of marginally hardy (for our zone) plants like
Phormium, hebes, etc. I'd suggest you replace it with a very hardy cultivar
like 'Arp' or 'Hill Hardy' (zone 6), but make sure the soil is lean and the
drainage very good. And yes, rosemary does make an excellent container
plant, but it wants to grow large so select your container accordingly.

pam - gardengal

Old 13-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Alice B

"Bill Spohn" wrote in message
We had an unusually cold day or two this winter (zone 8, bordering on 9)

when
it went down to -9 C.(it usually hovers around freezing or maybe 2 or 3

degrees
below).

I lost a large Rosemary bush, and I guess I had forgotten that it was a

bit
tender (others in less exposed locations came through without blinking).

Do people in less clement areas normally keep Roesmary as a pot plant?

Yes..I do and it won't live if it is overwatered!

Old 14-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Bill Spohn

I'm not sure what -9C translates to on the Farenheit scale, but I am also in
zone 8 (PNW) and we had a few lows this winter into the lower teens,
approximately 15-20 degrees below freezing. Rosemary should be perfectly
hardy in our areas even under those occasional unseasonal circumstances so
I'd guess that perhaps drainage is not as sharp as it could be. More often
than not in our mild climates, it is not the cold that kills plants but
winter wet rotting the root system.

Good thought - it might not be the best drainage.

If it survives where you are (Seattle?) it will here (a warm part near
Vancouver) too.

I cut it back hard and we shall see if there is any life left in the poor
thing. Lucky the other one in a spot under a tree is growing all over
everything else or I'd be facing lamb without Rosemary (or with store bought,
which just doesn't seem the same).

Old 14-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Bill Spohn" wrote in message
I'm not sure what -9C translates to on the Farenheit scale, but I am also

in
zone 8 (PNW) and we had a few lows this winter into the lower teens,
approximately 15-20 degrees below freezing. Rosemary should be perfectly
hardy in our areas even under those occasional unseasonal circumstances

so
I'd guess that perhaps drainage is not as sharp as it could be. More

often
than not in our mild climates, it is not the cold that kills plants but
winter wet rotting the root system.

Good thought - it might not be the best drainage.

If it survives where you are (Seattle?) it will here (a warm part near
Vancouver) too.

Yes, it is reliably hardy here (Seattle) - I use it as hedging in landscape
designs often and particularly like the prostrate forms to cascade in sunny
rockeries or over the side of the those ugly concrete, tunnel-like driveways
to underground garages

And lamb without rosemary (or even chicken without rosemary, for that
matter ) is simply not to be considered :-))

pam - gardengal

Old 14-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:22:59 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

I'm not sure what -9C translates to on the Farenheit scale,

I've found this *very* handy.

http://www.albireo.ch/temperatureconverter/

Old 24-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Robert Salmon

I've grown rosemary in Maryland, right at the border of Zones 6 and 7,
and it survives 4 out of 5 years, planted against the east side of a
fence. Despite a pretty nasty January this year, it did ok.
Old 24-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Robert Salmon

Old 25-03-2004, 02:02 PM
kate

Michelle wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 07:21:15 GMT, Robert Salmon
wrote:

I've grown rosemary in Maryland, right at the border of Zones 6 and 7,
and it survives 4 out of 5 years, planted against the east side of a
fence. Despite a pretty nasty January this year, it did ok.

I grow it in pennsylvania next to my house no troubles comes back
every year and makes my potatoes taste good too yummy

I'm in Nashville and my 3 year old rosemary is in bloom for the first
time - woo woo!

Kate (the first tulip bloomed yesterday!)

[IMG] code is On

Rosemary problem CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
[IBC] Rosemary Claudio Fierro Bonsai 11 21-03-2003 02:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM