Old 14-03-2004, 04:42 PM
quest

Default Brugmansia aka Angel Trumpets

I just totally love these flowers! Huge beautiful blooms, incredible wafting
fragrance, and neat looking tropical foliage. I plan to plant a whole batch
of them along a fence this year. Do many people here grow them? I know some
of the prettiest are hard to find offline. Which ones do you have? Mine are
only babies so far this year, so I can't share or even trade now, but I'm
curious as to who has what. So far "Butterfly" a deep pink, is my favorite.

Old 15-03-2004, 12:42 AM
DigitalVinyl

"quest" wrote:

I just totally love these flowers! Huge beautiful blooms, incredible wafting
fragrance, and neat looking tropical foliage. I plan to plant a whole batch
of them along a fence this year. Do many people here grow them? I know some
of the prettiest are hard to find offline. Which ones do you have? Mine are
only babies so far this year, so I can't share or even trade now, but I'm
curious as to who has what. So far "Butterfly" a deep pink, is my favorite.

I always forget but I know there is some confusino between Brugmansia
and Datura. They look similar and they may have even been lumped
together previously. I faintly recall one has blooms that point up,
one hangs pointing down. I only grew one to see what it was like (not
good for my zone). I believe it was Datura, bloom points up, and pure
white. I overwintered it and it is doing fairly well. Getting bigger,
and had three blooms over the last few weeks indoors. I don't like the
way the lower leaves constantly shed and aren't replaced. I probably
won't over winter it next year. They are striking in since and shape
though. I've seen 7'-8' Datura trees which are very cool looking but
only suitable for greenhouses here.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
Old 15-03-2004, 06:07 PM
quest

Yes, yours will be Datura,(Devils Trumpet) which are an annual and don't
usually overwinter. You did well with it. I don't care for them because of
that, and because the bushes look ragged to me. The Brugmansia (Angel
Trumpet) hang down, or nod. I'd suggest Dr.Seuss, a golden yellow, as a good
first plant, since it smells great and is one of the easiest to grow. Here
is a link to a picture gallery. I'm really surprised more people didn't
respond to this thread.
http://www.brugmansias.org/galleryA.html
The flowers average about 10 inches long and about 8 to 12 inches across.
Very fragrant, and impressive! I'd love to see more of them around.

Old 15-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Bill Spohn

The flowers average about 10 inches long and about 8 to 12 inches across.
Very fragrant, and impressive! I'd love to see more of them around.

I discovered by experiment that I could leave Brugmansia in the ground all year
(Vancouver BC, Zone 8b-9 depending on winter) - the only catch was that it
would kill back to the ground, and then appear again around July - and wouldn't
really have time to get to full size and bloom before Fall - better to haul it
inside for the winter.

The only thing I worry about is the meter reader seeing my basement room full
of hibernating Brugs and reporting me for running a grow op......

Old 15-03-2004, 11:26 PM
David Hill

"............ Here is a link to a picture gallery. I'm really surprised more
people didn't respond to this thread.
http://www.brugmansias.org/galleryA.html ........"
Wonderful link, thanks.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 16-03-2004, 04:27 AM
DigitalVinyl

"quest" wrote:

Yes, yours will be Datura,(Devils Trumpet)

I've never hear it called devil's trumpet. The seed packet atually
said Angel's Trumpet

which are an annual and don't
usually overwinter. You did well with it. I don't care for them because of
that, and because the bushes look ragged to me. The Brugmansia (Angel
Trumpet) hang down, or nod.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about nodding flowers in general. Maybe if I grew
them on a higher windowbox or hanging pot so they would be more
visible. And since I have to overwinter them indoors I'll probably
skip growing them in the future.

I'd suggest Dr.Seuss, a golden yellow, as a good
first plant, since it smells great and is one of the easiest to grow. Here
is a link to a picture gallery. I'm really surprised more people didn't
respond to this thread.
http://www.brugmansias.org/galleryA.html
The flowers average about 10 inches long and about 8 to 12 inches across.
Very fragrant, and impressive! I'd love to see more of them around.

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .

Old 16-03-2004, 05:42 AM
quest

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
news

"quest" wrote:

[...]

I've seen Datura called "devils trumpet" only when people are trying to say
what the difference is. On ebay or garden forums for instance. I don't think
it's at all official, but some know them by that. They were lumped together
once, but are now Brugmansia for the tree/pendant perennial, and Datura for
the bushy, upturned flowering annual.
True, It is a pain to dig them or take cuttings in the fall, (at least
they root easily) but I have other bulbs and things that I need to do that
with anyway, that really are not as fragrant or pretty, so it's well worth
it to me to include them
But then, I'm an absolute flower nut, with far more plants than any sane
person would bother with.

Old 16-03-2004, 01:32 PM
escapee

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:22:12 -0800, "quest" opined:

I just totally love these flowers! Huge beautiful blooms, incredible wafting
fragrance, and neat looking tropical foliage. I plan to plant a whole batch
of them along a fence this year. Do many people here grow them? I know some
of the prettiest are hard to find offline. Which ones do you have? Mine are
only babies so far this year, so I can't share or even trade now, but I'm
curious as to who has what. So far "Butterfly" a deep pink, is my favorite.

I have several different species. B. suavolens, B. versicolor, B. candida, and
about 4 or 5 others. I grow them in 30 gallon tubs which I move into the
greenhouse where they bloom all winter. It smells like a perfumery in the
greenhouse right now! I have some rooting right now to sell to a local nursery.

There is a wonderful website www.nativehabitat.com , but they are not taking
orders right now. www.logees.com also sells them.

I bought a book several years ago called Englestrompeten. It was all about
Brugmansia and Datura, but only in German. I used it for identification, (Latin
is great!) but it is not also in English by popular demand and I bought that as
well. I believe they do sell it on www.amazon.com

Anyone who wants to grow these gems needs that book. It's the only book written
specifically for this Genus.

Victoria
Old 16-03-2004, 02:02 PM
escapee

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:58:52 GMT, DigitalVinyl opined:

I've never hear it called devil's trumpet. The seed packet atually
said Angel's Trumpet

Yeah, I'm not crazy about nodding flowers in general. Maybe if I grew
them on a higher windowbox or hanging pot so they would be more
visible. And since I have to overwinter them indoors I'll probably
skip growing them in the future.

Brugmansia do very well in tubs and mine are all at least 8 feet tall. They
store in any cool, dry, dark place over the winter, mine are in the greenhouse,
but I do have about three of them in the shed.

I removed the ones from the shed and divided them, planted the air layered
branches and now have 5 plants of that variety.

I also grow datura. D. metel, D. meteloides, D. inoxia, D. wrightii, D.
stramonium. They are all hardy for me in Zone 8b, but I grow fresh plants each
year from seed. That way, I find, they are not as leggy at the bottom of the
plant. I also keep them pruned which encouraged inner and lower foliage to
develop, giving nice form to the plants. The D. wrightii has huge white
flowers, about 10 inches across. They bloom in waves about every three weeks.
They require a lot of fertilization and excellent soil with plenty of compost.
I have no problems with them. Every night the giant sphynx and hawk moths visit
and they are a magnificent sight. There is a hummingbird moth which also comes
in the morning and throughout the day sips nectar from other plants in the
garden.

Victoria

[IMG] code is On

Angel Trumpets broomhilda Gardening 5 19-03-2004 06:09 PM
Angel Trumpets broomhilda Gardening 0 18-03-2004 11:32 AM
Brugmansia aka Angel Trumpets quest Gardening 0 14-03-2004 04:32 PM
Angel's Trumpet (Datura/Brugmansia) irvin savage Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM