Old 25-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Grandpa

Default Dahlias in Albuquerque

Most interesting indeed, thanks!

Captain Chlorophyll wrote:
I forwarded your message to my father, who is a Master Gardener in ABQ.
Here is his reply.

The ones I had two years ago didn't mind full sun at all. They did
well in full sun. I think fertilizing is often overdone and I base it
on soil measurements and not plant type. Also I grew the Dahlias in
both the well amended vegetable garden, raised, bed and the un-amended
front lawn area. There was no significant difference between the two.

Old 25-03-2004, 08:09 AM
Starlord

I've planted Dahlias in clay soil and watched them turn to rot. I now
only use good potting/top soil.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"Captain Chlorophyll" wrote in message
I forwarded your message to my father, who is a Master Gardener in

ABQ.
Here is his reply.

The ones I had two years ago didn't mind full sun at all. They did

well in full sun. I think fertilizing is often overdone and I base it
on soil measurements and not plant type. Also I grew the Dahlias in
both the well amended vegetable garden, raised, bed and the un-amended
front lawn area. There was no significant difference between the two.

--
Brett Woywood
* "I seem to be having this * *

Old 26-03-2004, 05:26 AM
Captain Chlorophyll

Starlord wrote:
I've planted Dahlias in clay soil and watched them turn to rot. I now
only use good potting/top soil.

I'll clarify by explaining that my parents' house is at 6,000 ft.
elevation. The soil there is little more than decomposed granite and
whatever amendments (if any) my father added to the soil. Houses in the
valley, along the Rio Grande, will have high clay content and would have
to treat their soil very differently, even though both soil types fall
within the same city limits.

FYI, the rule of thumb for pH in NM is 8.2, give or take 0.3.

Albuquerque John S. DeBoo Gardening 0 01-06-2003 04:32 AM
Albuquerque ponders John Rutz Ponds 1 21-04-2003 01:08 AM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
best roses for Albuquerque, NM KATE KARON Roses 29 03-04-2003 03:32 PM
urban renewal (Was: best roses for Albuquerque, NM) Regina Roses 4 02-04-2003 03:08 AM