Old 29-03-2004, 03:34 PM
David

Default Zoysia in Maryland

I have a quick questions:

1) I live in Montogmery County Maryland havent seen any nurseries that
sell zoysia....does anyone know of any in the area??? I am wondering
is Maryland not a good place to grow Zoysia...has anyone had
experience with this...or is there suitable brand that last better??

Anyway zoysia lawns are so nice when green and ability to spread and
choke out weeks is what I am looking for so anyone knowing oa a source
in the area Washington DC, suburban Maryland.
Old 29-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Suja

David wrote:

Anyway zoysia lawns are so nice when green and ability to spread and
choke out weeks is what I am looking for so anyone knowing oa a source
in the area Washington DC, suburban Maryland.

My neighbor (I'm in Fairfax, VA) put a few plugs of Zoysia into his
existing lawn a couple of springs ago. It appears to be spreading quite
nicely. It's pretty easy to tell because the Zoysia patches stay brown
late into spring, and go into dormancy early in the fall. Personally, I
don't care for it at all. Then again, I don't much care for lawns in
the first place.

Suja

Old 29-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Speed Racer

Zoysia grows fine in Maryland. Try Zoysia Farms Nurseries in Taneytown
(410-876-5902) or Middleton Manor in Waldorf (301-843-8323) or Turf Center
in Spencerville (301-384-6300) or Summit Hall Turf in Poolesville
(301-948-2900). Your welcome.

om...

Old 30-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Cereus-validus

That's because Zoysia looks crappy much of the year and can catch fire when
its dead and dry.

Your efforts are better spent growing something more appropriate.

Old 30-03-2004, 08:02 AM
PKelly

"David" wrote in message
om...

I have a quick questions:

1) I live in Montogmery County Maryland havent seen any nurseries that
sell zoysia....does anyone know of any in the area??? I am wondering
is Maryland not a good place to grow Zoysia...has anyone had
experience with this...or is there suitable brand that last better??

Anyway zoysia lawns are so nice when green and ability to spread and
choke out weeks is what I am looking for so anyone knowing oa a source
in the area Washington DC, suburban Maryland.

Believe it or not, but we've actually burned it while dormant to reduce
thatch that buikds up over the years. Have seen this as a recommended
practice by some authorities, but I'm no grass expert. Have read its
highly touted for "green-types" owing to its drought and disease
tolerance, lack of fertilizer and other chemical needs, dense stands
prohibiting weed growth...We have half a front yard of it here in Queen
Annes County on the Eastern Shore and its doing quite nicely. If you can
tolerate its aesthetic issues (late to green, early to brown) and have
sharp mower blades, you won't find finer grass (no pun intended g).

Pat Kelly

[IMG] code is On

Dormant Spray/Oil? was Maryland roses R & L Porter Roses 3 01-02-2005 06:39 PM
Curious about blooming tree in Maryland Richard Gardening 3 17-05-2003 12:44 AM
Calling Jane in Maryland! Shiva Roses 14 26-04-2003 06:08 PM
show in maryland janet_a Orchids 0 06-03-2003 04:51 AM
Maryland roses Scopata Fuori Roses 11 09-02-2003 05:27 PM