Old 20-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Stephen Levine

Default Excluding deer

I am contemplating using horizontal strands of galvanized wire to fence out
deer around our garden. What I do not know is what is the minimum spacing of
these horizontal strands that will effectively screen out deer? I understand
that they may be able to stick their heads through the wires, but I intend
to have a 3'-0" path around the garden which should leave most plants out of
reach.

The fence will be 8 feet high. I have priced out various materials and the
wire seems to be the most cost effective.

So, what is a recommended minimum horizontal spacing?

TIA

Stephen

Old 20-04-2004, 06:06 PM

think electric fence.
put a 3-4' short green wire type of stuff on the bottom to keep out rabbits.
2" up from green stuff put the first hot wire.
probably every 18-24" put another hot wire.
around the perimeter lay down that larger opening green wire .. it will catch at
their feet and they wont come near the fence. otherwise, use tall aluminum conduit
to sorta hang bird netting on the outside. this also freaks em out.
Ingrid

"Stephen Levine" wrote:
I am contemplating using horizontal strands of galvanized wire to fence out
deer around our garden. What I do not know is what is the minimum spacing of
these horizontal strands that will effectively screen out deer? I understand
that they may be able to stick their heads through the wires, but I intend
to have a 3'-0" path around the garden which should leave most plants out of
reach.
The fence will be 8 feet high. I have priced out various materials and the
wire seems to be the most cost effective.
So, what is a recommended minimum horizontal spacing?
Stephen

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 20-04-2004, 09:05 PM
DWW

I know that others would disagree, but I only have two wires (both
electric), one is about 3-4" off the ground and the other is 5' (top of 6'
t-post driven in ground). Haven't had any trouble since with deer and we
have a lot of deer. Once they get a couple of zaps, they stay away from it.

Old 21-04-2004, 12:04 AM
rosie

"DWW" wrote in message
: I know that others would disagree, but I only have two wires (both
: electric), one is about 3-4" off the ground and the other is 5'
(top of 6'
: t-post driven in ground). Haven't had any trouble since with deer
and we
: have a lot of deer. Once they get a couple of zaps, they stay
away from it.
:

why would others diagree?
it works right?

rosie
who just bought a house in "deer country"....................

Old 21-04-2004, 01:03 PM
DavesVideo

I know that others would disagree, but I only have two wires (both
electric), one is about 3-4" off the ground and the other is 5' (top of 6'
t-post driven in ground). Haven't had any trouble since with deer and we
have a lot of deer.

I don't disagree, but I have had success with just a single wire at the 3'
level. They seem to stay away and not try to jump it so I don't need the higher
wire. I have three widely seperated areas that I want to protect and they each
are on a different circuit. The small zapper I got for the vegetable garden was
only $24.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Old 21-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Stephen Levine" wrote:

I am contemplating using horizontal strands of galvanized wire to fence out
deer around our garden. What I do not know is what is the minimum spacing of
these horizontal strands that will effectively screen out deer? I understand
that they may be able to stick their heads through the wires, but I intend
to have a 3'-0" path around the garden which should leave most plants out of
reach.

Deer are inheritantly lazy and easily spooked. They will avoid barriers
they can easily see. They will try to crawl under a fence before they
will effortlessly hop over it.

They tend to respect fences they can see easily before they come to
them. Hence a 4' wire mesh fence will usually just be an annoyance to
them. A 4' wire mesh fence with plastic bags decorating it will be a
barrier to them.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

Why do ripe fruits -- especially when canned -- smell bad? -- excluding apples and cantaloupes Radium[_2_] Edible Gardening 34 02-08-2007 04:27 PM
Why do ripe fruits -- especially when canned -- smell bad? -- excluding apples and cantaloupes Radium[_2_] Plant Science 33 02-08-2007 04:27 PM
Re(2): Why do ripe fruits -- especially when canned -- smell bad? -- excluding ap Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 29-07-2007 04:34 PM
Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM
Free Shipping at Greenwood Nursery! (Excluding Alaska & Hawaii) Earl Buchan Gardening 0 24-01-2003 07:13 PM