Old 01-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Mike Prager

Default Source for Viburnum rufidulum

I'd like to add one or more specimens of Viburnum rufidulum
(southern blackhaw) to our landscape. Can't find it locally.
Can anyone recommend a source?

Mike
Old 02-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Mike LaMana

What's locally?

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 02-05-2004, 04:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum is one heck of a tall shrub/small tree and is
difficult to find. If you do find some, buy several!

http://www.frankforttrees.org/Specie...eciesID=3D1142 shows it
natural historical range.

jk

Mike Prager wrote:
=

I'd like to add one or more specimens of Viburnum rufidulum
(southern blackhaw) to our landscape. Can't find it locally.
Can anyone recommend a source?
=

Mike

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 02-05-2004, 05:02 AM
escapee

On Sat, 01 May 2004 17:11:28 GMT, Mike Prager
§kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu opined:

I'd like to add one or more specimens of Viburnum rufidulum
(southern blackhaw) to our landscape. Can't find it locally.
Can anyone recommend a source?

Mike

If you find a source for it anywhere, please do let me know. I have been
looking for a mother plant for years. I would like to propagate it because I
can sell hundreds of gallon plants every year if I can perfect propagation.
It's not an easy one to do, but I'm willing to tinker around to get it going.

thanks,
Victoria
Old 02-05-2004, 01:02 PM
madgardener

look under "Nanny-berry" g
madgardener
"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum is one heck of a tall shrub/small tree and is
difficult to find. If you do find some, buy several!

http://www.frankforttrees.org/Specie...SpeciesID=1142 shows it
natural historical range.

jk

Mike Prager wrote:

I'd like to add one or more specimens of Viburnum rufidulum
(southern blackhaw) to our landscape. Can't find it locally.
Can anyone recommend a source?

Mike

--
Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
ô¿ô - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Houston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
ô¿ô - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 02-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Mike LaMana

Actually these are fairly commonly available in my experience, especially
from the mid-Atlantic region growers.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Mike Prager

Mike LaMana wrote:

What's locally?

Oops, sorry! Locally is Carteret County, NC, on the coast
about 4 hours SE of Raleigh; about 2 hours NE of Wilmington.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Old 02-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Mike Prager

escapee wrote:

If you find a source for it anywhere, please do let me know. I have been
looking for a mother plant for years.
Victoria

The only source I've founds so far is this one:

http://www.mailordernatives.com/

which apparently ships bare-root plants during the winter.
Whether you could get one large enough to suit your needs, I
don't know.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Mike Prager

madgardener wrote:

look under "Nanny-berry" g

Thx for the reply. However, "nannyberry" to me is V. lentago,
a more northern species. An attractive one to be sure (from
the pictures I've seen), but not well suited to our area
because of excessive heat and humidity here and the plant's
susceptibility to mildew.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Mike Prager

Mike LaMana wrote:

Actually these are fairly commonly available in my experience, especially
from the mid-Atlantic region growers.

Thanks. Can you recommend a grower that sells at retail by
mail order?

Old 03-05-2004, 02:05 AM
escapee

On Sun, 02 May 2004 16:49:47 GMT, Mike Prager
§kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu opined:
The only source I've founds so far is this one:

http://www.mailordernatives.com/

which apparently ships bare-root plants during the winter.
Whether you could get one large enough to suit your needs, I
don't know.

Good luck!

Mike

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Thanks Mike. I will see if I can buy some bare root next winter and get my own
stock plants going. I would love to get this out into the trade. It is
especially lovely for us in this part of Texas because it is native and adapted
to a large array of our soils in this region of TX.

Victoria
Old 03-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Mike Prager

Victoria wrote:

Thanks Mike. I will see if I can buy some bare root next winter and get my own
stock plants going. I would love to get this out into the trade. It is
especially lovely for us in this part of Texas because it is native and adapted
to a large array of our soils in this region of TX.

V - If you email me (so I have your address), I'll let you
know if I find other sources for this.

Judging from pictures & what's written about this species,
it's a great plant. With our dogwoods along the coast having
succumbed to anthracnose, drought, and borers, a good small
flowering tree is needed. I'm also going to try Vitex
agnus-castus, which I've seen growing and flowering around
here in part shade (though the books say SUN: I get more
skeptical all the time).

Old 03-05-2004, 12:02 PM
IntarsiaCo

www.arborvillagellc.com
Old 03-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Suja

Mike Prager wrote:

I'd like to add one or more specimens of Viburnum rufidulum
(southern blackhaw) to our landscape. Can't find it locally.
Can anyone recommend a source?

Here is what I was able to find, but I haven't done business with them
myself, and don't know how reputable they a

http://www.ridgeroadplants.com/ (Plant Lists - Complete List)
http://www.vvm.com/~reid/trees.html
http://www.fallsonline.com/wichitavalley/trees3.html
http://www.arborvillagellc.com/av03-04.pdf (P.57 of PDF document)

Page 56 of this document
http://faculty.ncwc.edu/mbrooks/pif/...t/natplant.pdf lists
the arboretums/gardens in your area where you can get more info about
native plants, so maybe they will also know a local source.

Suja

Old 04-05-2004, 12:05 AM
escapee

On Mon, 03 May 2004 02:18:50 GMT, Mike Prager
§kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu opined:

Judging from pictures & what's written about this species,
it's a great plant. With our dogwoods along the coast having
succumbed to anthracnose, drought, and borers, a good small
flowering tree is needed. I'm also going to try Vitex
agnus-castus, which I've seen growing and flowering around
here in part shade (though the books say SUN: I get more
skeptical all the time).

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

I have a huge Vitex agnus-castus 'Carolina Blue.' It is about 12 feet tall now
and oh, 20 feet wide. It is about 5 years old and started with a four inch pot
of it Now I have them germinating all over the place. I dig them out in the
fall and like today at the garden club, have them to swap. It's a beautiful
plant.

I will shoot you an email.

victoria