Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2004, 02:04 AM
John McGaw

Default Hyacinth from Seed?

I know that there are frequent questions about the possibility/advisabilty
of raising daffodils from seed. And the answer usually is "yes you can but
the bulbs are so cheap why would you bother to wait years for flowers from
seeds?" Well, my question is a parallel but involves hyacinths. I planted
some fairly pricey bulbs from a local garden center last autumn and the
flowers this spring were spectacular. I'd like to have more of them but at
over $2 per bulb I'm not going to buy too many more. But a large number of
the flowers set seed and have large seedpods now. What would be the process
of harvesting and planting the seeds? I realize that it may be several years
before anything comes of it but I'd like to try it as much to satisfy my
curiosity as to save $20 for a couple more bags of bulbs. TIA
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

[IMG] code is On

I may have some hyacinth after all....also lily question. jammer Ponds 2 23-02-2003 08:17 PM
Indoor Hyacinth Jack United Kingdom 4 11-02-2003 10:04 PM
Festival Blue hyacinth Zemedelec Gardening 0 11-02-2003 05:25 PM
Water Hyacinth REBEL JOE Ponds 5 08-02-2003 11:01 PM
Hyacinth bulbs Sylvie United Kingdom 0 27-10-2002 10:36 AM