Old 12-05-2004, 02:04 AM
John McGaw

Default Hyacinth from Seed?

I know that there are frequent questions about the possibility/advisabilty
of raising daffodils from seed. And the answer usually is "yes you can but
the bulbs are so cheap why would you bother to wait years for flowers from
seeds?" Well, my question is a parallel but involves hyacinths. I planted
some fairly pricey bulbs from a local garden center last autumn and the
flowers this spring were spectacular. I'd like to have more of them but at
over $2 per bulb I'm not going to buy too many more. But a large number of
the flowers set seed and have large seedpods now. What would be the process
of harvesting and planting the seeds? I realize that it may be several years
before anything comes of it but I'd like to try it as much to satisfy my
curiosity as to save $20 for a couple more bags of bulbs. TIA
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 12-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Cereus-validus

That's not the reason why growing bulbs from seed is a bad idea.

The primary reason is that many of the popular bulb cultivars are sterile
hybrids and do not produce seeds.

If they are fertile and produce seeds, hybrids typically do not breed true
and the offspring usually do not look like the parent and may be inferior.

Growing species bulbs is the best way to propagate them because many do not
multiply quickly from natural division of the bulbs.

The problem is that seeds of many bulbous plants are not commercially
available anyway.

Do you know of a source for Hyacinth seeds?

Old 12-05-2004, 03:10 AM
John McGaw

Reply inline:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. ..
That's not the reason why growing bulbs from seed is a bad idea.

The primary reason is that many of the popular bulb cultivars are sterile
hybrids and do not produce seeds.

If they are fertile and produce seeds, hybrids typically do not breed true
and the offspring usually do not look like the parent and may be inferior.

Growing species bulbs is the best way to propagate them because many do

not
multiply quickly from natural division of the bulbs.

The problem is that seeds of many bulbous plants are not commercially
available anyway.

Do you know of a source for Hyacinth seeds?

As I said in my original post, I've got expensive hyacinths that bloomed
most spectacularly this spring and many of them set seed and now have large
seedpods developed. My assumption is that when they fully develop (and dry?)
there will be seeds in them. My problem is that after that I don't have a
clue as to what to do with them. Plant them now? Store in refrigerator and
plant in the spring? There are an almost infinite number of permutations of
handling and conditions that might be necessary and I was just hoping that
someone might provide some guidance to get me started in the right
direction.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 12-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Cereus-validus

The unlimited possibilities can boggle your mind if you let it. Try to
decide on one that would be the least amount of work for you and most
beneficial for germination of the seeds. Let nature do the stratification
for you and learn to be patient. It will be years before you can get flowers
from seed no matter how you obsess over what to do.

Read a book on bulbs and how to propagate them from seed. If you do a Google
search you might even find a website to two on the subject.

Sorry, didn't see you original post.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 11 May 2004 21:27:53 -0400, "John McGaw"
wrote:

As I said in my original post, I've got expensive hyacinths that bloomed
most spectacularly this spring and many of them set seed and now have large
seedpods developed. My assumption is that when they fully develop (and dry?)
there will be seeds in them. My problem is that after that I don't have a
clue as to what to do with them. Plant them now? Store in refrigerator and
plant in the spring? There are an almost infinite number of permutations of
handling and conditions that might be necessary and I was just hoping that
someone might provide some guidance to get me started in the right
direction.

I always figure seeds are meant to be planted when they are mature
enough to begin dropping to the ground. Of course, this may mean
growing outdoors in the conditions the plant is accustomed to -- i.e.,
some seeds require chilling. Don't know about hyacinths, but this
seems likely. I would plant some in a pot sunk in the dirt so I could
keep track of them, and keep others in the 'fridge to start out next
spring. I'm betting on the outdoor pot, 'though.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

My problem is that after that I don't have a
clue as to what to do with them.

Ah hah! Try:

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/data/trew/b...e=kew&chap= 4
Old 12-05-2004, 02:05 PM
theoneflasehaddock

Subject: Hyacinth from Seed?
From: "John McGaw"
Date: 5/11/2004 8:27 PM Central Daylight Time
[...]

You could do either. Cold stratification may be required for germination, and
certainly can't hurt the seeds. If you can get them to grow this year, and
squeeze out a years growth, you'll be a year closer to flowering them.
Otherwise, it'll be easier to plant in spring while it's still cold next year.

-

theoneflasehaddock
Old 12-05-2004, 04:04 PM
John McGaw

wrote:

My problem is that after that I don't have a
clue as to what to do with them.

Ah hah! Try:

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/data/trew/b...e=kew&chap= 4

Many thanks -- an excellent reference and it appears to give all the
information I needed. I don't know why my own search didn't turn it up but
such are the vagaries of search engines. Guess I need to start watching the
seedpods to determine when they are ready and willing. I've got a good
protected place where I can sink some pots and watch the seeds develop and
late frost is not usually a problem where I plan to put them.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 12-05-2004, 06:03 PM
simy1

"John McGaw" wrote in message .. .
I know that there are frequent questions about the possibility/advisabilty
of raising daffodils from seed. And the answer usually is "yes you can but
the bulbs are so cheap why would you bother to wait years for flowers from
seeds?" Well, my question is a parallel but involves hyacinths. I planted
some fairly pricey bulbs from a local garden center last autumn and the
flowers this spring were spectacular. I'd like to have more of them but at
over $2 per bulb I'm not going to buy too many more. But a large number of
the flowers set seed and have large seedpods now. What would be the process
of harvesting and planting the seeds? I realize that it may be several years
before anything comes of it but I'd like to try it as much to satisfy my
curiosity as to save $20 for a couple more bags of bulbs. TIA

Usually plants make seeds at about the best time for the seeds to
germinate, so right now seeding should be best (they may germinate
next year). If you are afraid that the new plants be inferior-looking
(they probably will), they will almost certainly maintain the
ruggedness of the species. So you could consider harvesting the seeds
and start a new patch away from the original bulbs. If you have one of
those dry shade problem spots (or maybe under a conifer), they will
still make a nice drift even though the new plants are not true. If
they come true or close to, move them to other places.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:07 PM
David Hill

I think that this is what you should try
Particularly desirable Hyacinth cultivars can be propagated by making a
number of cuts in the bulb, which promotes the development of new bulblets.
Turn the Hyacinth bulb upside down, and cut away the basal plate of the bulb
using a sharp knife. Then make a series of V-shaped cuts around the edge of
the bulb where the basal plate was removed. Leave the bulb exposed to the
air for a few days to allow it to form a protective callus. Finally bury he
bulb upside down in moist, sand and new bulblets will grow from the wounds
made in the base of the Hyacinth bulb.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 12-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Vox Humana

"John McGaw" wrote in message
[...]

What did you find outstanding in the bulbs you bought as compared to others?
The price you paid doesn't necessarily indicate that the bulbs were rare.
There may be a better strategy for getting more hyacinths with less work and
at far less than $2 each. First, I find that spring flowering bulbs go on
clearance in November to make way for seasonal merchandise and because most
people who are going to buy bulbs have already made their purchases. Last
year I bought a large number of bulbs at 75% to 90% off. I have planted
bulbs as late as New Year's Day with good luck in my zone 6 garden. Rather
that screw around trying to germinate seeds and then baby-sit them, you
might be better off looking for a good clearance sale next fall. After all,
even if you are successful, you may find that the plants that you propagated
are lackluster offspring of the parent plants. The other option is to buy
from a reputable wholesaler like John Scheepers.
http://www.johnscheepers.com/ They have a good selection of hyacinths
selling for as little as 40 cents each. I find hyacinths very reliable, so
your investment will give you many years of fragrant returns.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:08 PM
David Hill

I wonder why no one has mentioned that Hyacinths will naturally produce
bulblets or bulbuls at the base of the bulb, these will take about 3 years
of good growing to reach flowering size.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 18-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Frogleg in
:

On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:46:53 -0400, "John McGaw"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

Ah hah! Try:

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/data/trew/b...false&page=14&
type=kew&chap=4

Many thanks -- an excellent reference and it appears to give all the
information I needed. I don't know why my own search didn't turn it up
but such are the vagaries of search engines.

I started with "hyacinth from seed" which plunged me deep into
hyacinth bean references. Was tempted to wander around a bit -- they
are interesting plants -- but I was on a mission. Simply changed
'hyacinth' to plural and there it was. :-)

seed start guide hyacinthus

http://www.detnews.com/2001/garden/0...e10-244270.htm
snip

The varieties we grow now are the result of centuries of crossing one
Hyacinthus orientalis with another and planting the seed.
Let seed ripen on the plant until it's dry and brown. Sow it, barely
covered, keep it moist and either refrigerate the seed tray over winter or
put it outdoors so seeds get the essential chilling they need to sprout --
90 days of below-40 temperatures. Even then, seed may wait two winters to
germinate. Seedlings take three years or more to develop a bulb large
enough to produce a flower.

snip

seeds probably need little or no chill
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...e+hyacint hus

Mediterranean hyacinth (Hyacinthus orientalis) bloom

Hyacinthus orientalis ) Plant Origin: Southern Europe ... opened
Environment:
full sunlight, on well-drained, sandy soils Climate: warm, mild

[IMG] code is On

I may have some hyacinth after all....also lily question. jammer Ponds 2 23-02-2003 08:17 PM
Indoor Hyacinth Jack United Kingdom 4 11-02-2003 10:04 PM
Festival Blue hyacinth Zemedelec Gardening 0 11-02-2003 05:25 PM
Water Hyacinth REBEL JOE Ponds 5 08-02-2003 11:01 PM
Hyacinth bulbs Sylvie United Kingdom 0 27-10-2002 10:36 AM