Old 15-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Growing poppies legal?

You got a poppy seeded roll jones?

"escapee" wrote in message
I'm joansin from the bagels last week.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:42:22 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

opined:

Now we have definite proof she is stoner and not a rock hound.

A stoner is a term for a recreational herb abuser.
At least I didn't call you a dead head!!

"Brigitte J." wrote in message

"paghat" wrote in message
news In article , "Brigitte J."
wrote:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. ..
The California poppy is not a true poppy, you stoner.

I've been called a lot of things in my life, but stoner was never

one
of
them.

Brigitte

I think he meant to say "rock hound."

-paghat the ratgirl

What is a rock hound?

Old 15-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Cereus-validus

Say what, honkey?

I said you were a stoner because you couldn't tell the difference between a
California poppy and an Opium poppy.

You would have to be stoned because the two look very different. Most
obviously, the California poppy has orange flowers while the Opium poppy has
lilac colored flowers.

How do you explain confusing the two without the aid of psychedelics?

"Brigitte J." wrote in message

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Now we have definite proof she is stoner and not a rock hound.

A stoner is a term for a recreational herb abuser.
At least I didn't call you a dead head!!

"Brigitte J." wrote in message

"paghat" wrote in message
news In article , "Brigitte J."
wrote:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. ..
The California poppy is not a true poppy, you stoner.

I've been called a lot of things in my life, but stoner was never

one
of
them.

Brigitte

I think he meant to say "rock hound."

-paghat the ratgirl

What is a rock hound?

You called me a stoner and a rock hound. And only because I said that I
didn't think poppies were illegal since they were the state flower of
California. You always assume someone's a druggie cuz they know a state's
official flower? I know other state's flowers too, does that make me a

drug
dealer?

LOL

Brigitte

Old 15-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Cereus-validus

We should all keep on top posting just to **** off that fascist Allan. Screw
those right wing republi-Nazis for trying to take away out first amendment
right to free speech.

Power to the people!!!!

"North" wrote in message
Look here you assrammed pig ****er, no one gives a **** if you read
their posts or not.

Jeez, what an idiot !!

n.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:05:40 GMT, Alan Connor said:

On Sat, 15 May 2004 19:32:06 GMT, Brigitte J.

wrote:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message

snip

You called me a stoner and a rock hound. And only because I said that

didn't think poppies were illegal since they were the state flower of
California. You always assume someone's a druggie cuz they know a

state's
official flower? I know other state's flowers too, does that make me a

drug
dealer?

LOL

Brigitte

Those aren't opium poppies....But you can find opium poppies all over the

place,
growing 'wild', or get them from seed catalogs.

(or you could about 5 years ago, the last time I looked)

As for them being "illegal", what the light does *THAT* mean? Some group

of people
put something on a piece of paper. Do *they* necessarily follow it? Often

not.

Pot is illegal too, but about half the people in America smoke it at one

time or
another, and 10's of millions do so regularly.

Raw opium is a nice thing to have around. Mellow you out REAL good :-)

One heck of a lot easier to produce than alcohol, distilled or otherwise.

(tell "Cereus-validus" to bottom post and trim them too, if he wants me

read his posts -- if he doesn't, it will apparently be no great loss..)

AC

Old 15-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from escapee contains these words:

On 15 May 2004 12:21:01 GMT, Ignoramus12481
opined:

Now that we have a nice garden and orchard, one plant I am thinking
abou tplanting is poppies, because they are cute. Is it legal?

Don't ask people here, we are all filled with misinformation.

Remember, V, you only speak on behalf of yourself :-)

Janet
Old 16-05-2004, 03:03 AM
zxcvbob

Ignoramus12481 wrote:

Now that we have a nice garden and orchard, one plant I am thinking
abou tplanting is poppies, because they are cute. Is it legal?

Of course they are legal! [wink wink] IANAL, but it would only be
illegal to grow them if you knowingly grew a species that produces
opium, with intent to harvest the opium. Breadseed poppies are an opium
poppy, but I read somewhere that they only produce miniscule and
insignificant amounts of opium (about as much as any other poppy) in
North American climates, so you should be fine [wink wink]

Or just grow shirley poppies or oriental poppies instead of Papaver
somniferum.

Sorry, I seem to have something in my eye,
Bob

Old 16-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Gunner

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:51:17 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Did you see that on Mythbusters too?

No. I used to employ a number of people in high security work and many
that I knew were clean were getting positives. One of the managers
would bring in poppy seed buns and bagels in the morning.
I did the followup to find out what the hell was happening.

This is one non-myth that has serious consequences for many people's
careers.

Ayup, which is why I mentioned it.

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:05:06 GMT, "Breezy"
wrote:

"Ignoramus12481" wrote in message
In article ,

Cereus-validus
wrote:

I have some poppy seeds in my pantry, I do not even know if they are
still alive. I put some on a wet paper towel, will see if they are
dead or not.

Those poppy seeds in your pantry may be opium poppy seeds. To be US legal
they roast them before import. Are they black? roasted. or brown?

unroasted,
probably very old.

One should note, that if your daily breakfast has a poppy seed bagel
or roll in it..you may indeed test positive at your next drug
screening.

Its a fairly common false positive, and I believe that the followup
test to determine the exact substance will show it to be the seeds,
but many companies dont pay for the followup, and you may be screwed.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

Old 16-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Myal

North wrote in
:

Look here you assrammed pig ****er, no one gives a **** if you read
their posts or not.

Jeez, what an idiot !!

n.

Well Said !!

wrote:

[...]

me to read his posts -- if he doesn't, it will apparently be no great
loss..)

AC

Old 16-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Charles

On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:06:59 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

True poppies are in the genus Papaver.

The opium poppy are Papaver somniferum.

The common red poppy, also known as Flander's field poppy, that edible poppy
seeds come from is Papaver rhoeas.

Any other genus in the family Papaveraceae are not true poppies.

The California poppy is in the genus Eschscholtzia. The wild Eschscholtzia
you saw was probably a different species from the widely grown
E.californica. There are several species in the genus, especially in the
Southwestern US and Mexico.

I was thinking the presence of the receptacle rim was indicative of E.
californica, maybe not. I didn't have my calipers along, nor did I
have the book to check, Not that important to me now anyway. Maybe
it was E. hypecoides. Jepson calls that the San Benito Poppy, and
that's where I was, San Benito.

E. californica grows by itself quite commonly around here, here being
California. Anything else seems unusual by comparison.

--

- Charles
-
Old 16-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Brigitte J.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
om...
Say what, honkey?

I said you were a stoner because you couldn't tell the difference between

California poppy and an Opium poppy.

I never made a distinction between opium poppies and california poppies, and
either did the OP. I believe you were the first one to make that
distinction.

Brigitte

Old 16-05-2004, 07:02 AM
BernadetteTS

In article ,
Ignoramus12481 wrote:

Now that we have a nice garden and orchard, one plant I am thinking
abou tplanting is poppies, because they are cute. Is it legal?

I read through the posts. Going off on a tangent to this thread, now
that the technique of gene splicing is being taught even in dumbed down
high schools today, how long until some of the smarter college types
splice the opium gene into something common like dandelions that also
have a milky latex sap? There is already discussion of gene splicing THC
from marijuana into other plants but this discussion was on poppies.
This is the thing that would blind side the DEA.

As a survivalist I can see a future need for a source of pain killers to
deal with medical trauma or incurrable conditions.

Bernadette
Old 16-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Cereus-validus

Oh nevermind.

Just be aware that the two are very much different.

Old 16-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Brian

P. somniferens can be obtained in a whole galaxy of colours. Single and
double to fully double. The content of opium is minuscule even in a perfect
climate and the number needed to obtain a 'mouse dropping' amount is
tremendous.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 16-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Offbreed

Roy wrote:

I have always been told its a certain species of Poppy that is used to
produce the drugs, that in general it would be hard or impossible to
do with the variety found in most countries. Any truth in that?

I researched this point while considering medicinal plants to grow.

All the true poppies have opiates in them, one strain has less of the
types that make people sick. Removing those other opiates is not
practical.

Old 16-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Offbreed

You should research this twit. He would vote for Nader if they let him
out of the nut house long enough to get to the polls. And if the poll
workers would allow him to mark the ballot with crayon.

This nice people with the white coats and little pill cups won't let
him have anything sharp.