Old 18-05-2004, 03:10 PM
www.ttdown.com

Default Mimmosa Tree

I am searching for seeds by this Mimmosa Tree. Used to have one at my
last home and dearly love to grow more of them at my new home. Can
someone send me or tell me where I could get some help looking or
getting this seed.

Jrwolf
Old 18-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Mike LaMana

Sure that you want Mimosa and not Albizzia julibrissan (Silktree)?

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 18-05-2004, 05:05 PM
www.ttdown.com

I think they are called both,aren't they? I know it has beautifuyl
pink flowers and fern like leaves that close upon touching the leaves.
They also (Leaves) close at night.

Is that the silk tree?

Jrwolf

Old 18-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Twobtold

From: www.ttdown.com

Is that the silk tree?

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/4026/1

Take a look
Old 18-05-2004, 10:05 PM
David Hill

"............ I think they are called both,aren't they? I know it has
beautifuyl pink flowers and fern like leaves that close upon touching the
leaves. ............"

I wonder if this is what you are thinking about
http://www.comfsm.fm/~dleeling/angio/mimosa.html
Rather than
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/4026/1

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 19-05-2004, 02:02 AM
John McGaw

"www.ttdown.com" wrote in message
I am searching for seeds by this Mimmosa Tree. Used to have one at my
last home and dearly love to grow more of them at my new home. Can
someone send me or tell me where I could get some help looking or
getting this seed.

Jrwolf

Do you mean that nasty weed that is growing all over around here, spreading
seeds wildly and crowding out native species, and is just about impossible
to kill? I'd have to wonder why anybody would want one but you can certainly
dig up all you could carry away from my area and everyone would thank you
for taking them. You could take some of the Paulownia tomentosa with you
too.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 19-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Amy D

www.ttdown.com wrote:

Maybe in your part of the country you have them all over but we never
had a problem with them spreading out over all. Its just goes to say
beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Jrwolf

I think they are beautiful, too. Just didn't know what they were called
until I saw the pictures.

amy

On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:11:57 -0400, "John McGaw"
wrote:

. ..

Old 20-05-2004, 05:11 PM
John McGaw

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/species/3004.html

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 20-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Skirmishd

I am searching for seeds by this Mimmosa Tree. Used to have one at my
last home and dearly love to grow more of them at my new home. Can
someone send me or tell me where I could get some help looking or
getting this seed.

Jrwolf

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/species/3004.html

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
http://johnmcgaw.com

I think I have one of these in my backyard. I didn't know what kind of tree

this was but after looking in The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch it seemed
to be the one. My neighbor called it something else, and she seems to know
more about what grows over here than I do.
The pods that this tree puts out are a problem. One year of the drought we
have here they even ended up in the neighbors yards and were just a pain to
rake away. Last year there were not so many. I wouldn't have planted that
tree myself, but we're stuck with it for now and it is pretty.

Old 21-05-2004, 12:03 AM
www.ttdown.com

Could you possibly send me at least 20 to 30 pods of seeds. If so I
should get with you from reg. e-mail . I would gladly pay for you to
send them to me.

Jrwolf

Old 21-05-2004, 12:05 AM
www.ttdown.com

These trees are also known as a Silk Tree by the way but we do't see
any around here for me to start some for my yard.

Old 21-05-2004, 07:03 AM
gregpresley

Albizia (mimosa) is marginally hardy in zone 6 (meaning it might be killed
in the rare severe winter) and not hardy without a lot of protection in zone
5. If you are in zone 5 or lower, you will not see any mimosas around,
because they can't survive the harsh winters. I have a friend with a mimosa
here in Spokane (zone 5/6) in a very protected spot - it survives, but
usually dies back to the roots every winter - it has yet to flower in its
sixth year in the ground.

Old 21-05-2004, 04:02 PM
www.ttdown.com

The tree survived just fine here and flowers every year before it was
taken down. I know alot of you think I'm crazy for wanting this tree
but I work with the one I had and it turned into almost like a Bonsai
tree for me which I enjoyed many afternoon reading and enjoying my
yard. People to alot of others this tree is a weed or what ever, but
to me all I am asking for is some seed, that's all. I thank you all
for you answers and help I really do. But as a person who's joy is now
in my yard and what I see out a window due to my handicap is the world
to me. I get to stand some days about four hours on and off my legs
and my yard and plantsand my white sheperd are my full enjoyment,
please understand why I am asking for seed.

I will pay a COD or shipping somehow I just want to enjoy my yard my
way is all.

Sincerely,

Jrwolf

On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:41:23 -0700, "gregpresley"
wrote:

Albizia (mimosa) is marginally hardy in zone 6 (meaning it might be killed
in the rare severe winter) and not hardy without a lot of protection in zone
5. If you are in zone 5 or lower, you will not see any mimosas around,
because they can't survive the harsh winters. I have a friend with a mimosa
here in Spokane (zone 5/6) in a very protected spot - it survives, but
usually dies back to the roots every winter - it has yet to flower in its
sixth year in the ground.
.. .

Old 21-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Casey Stevens

Richter's Herbs has Mimosa seeds for sale. Here's the url:

http://www.richters.com

Just do a search for "mimosa" and you'll see it.

Personally, I think there's no more enchanting smell in the world than
that of mimosa blossoms on a misty morning. I understand quite well
why you'd want one, invasive or not, they soothe the soul.

Good luck with it!

Casey

On Fri, 21 May 2004 09:12:33 -0500, www.ttdown.com
wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
Mimmosa Tree www.ttdown.com Gardening 0 18-05-2004 03:10 PM
Tallow Tree was Peach Tree & Crepe Murtle Questions God Bless Texas Texas 5 24-06-2003 06:32 PM
Tree Expert - Can you identify this tree M Thomas Lawns 4 10-06-2003 03:09 AM
Free tree from Austin EnergyCity tree trimming gary Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM