Old 19-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Harri85274

Default Crape myrtle size for barrel

I have this 15 year old crape myrtle that has been blooming year after year.
Its height goes up to 20'. Last year I moved it into the center of the yard,
and it took the move very well. I noticed that where I had it moved from, it
left me about 7 little 'babies'. some larger than others. i know they are
sprouts or suckers I think some people call them of the parent. I removed them
and planted them into various size pots. I would like to curtail one of them to
about 5'. Could this be done with a variety that can go as high as 20'?
Old 19-05-2004, 07:02 AM
B & J

"Harri85274" wrote in message
I have this 15 year old crape myrtle that has been blooming year after

year.
Its height goes up to 20'. Last year I moved it into the center of the

yard,
and it took the move very well. I noticed that where I had it moved from,

it
left me about 7 little 'babies'. some larger than others. i know they are
sprouts or suckers I think some people call them of the parent. I removed

them
and planted them into various size pots. I would like to curtail one of

them to
about 5'. Could this be done with a variety that can go as high as 20'?

Yes, they can be kept at that height by excessive pruning, but you won't
have balanced looking plants. Why chop a tree crape variety into something
it's not supposed to be when excellent new, disease resistant dwarf
varieties are available that will never grow beyond 5'?

John

Old 19-05-2004, 10:04 AM
gregpresley

It might also be possible to bonsai a crape myrtle - but you'd need to keep
it in a pot and root prune it every year as you prune the top. Maybe an
experienced bonsai person could chime in here?

Old 20-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Harri85274

Why chop a tree crape variety into something
it's not supposed to be when excellent new, disease resistant dwarf
varieties are available that will never grow beyond 5'?

John

I did just that from a company that suppose to be the originator of such shrubs
and trees in Florida. i went for their 6 dwarfs for $59 in the peak of summer,
and each one has died on me in the span of a couple of months, and these were
suppose to be hardy type. Thats why i was leaning towards my 20 footer that has
proven to be not only hardy but reliable all these 15 years. i would love to
try again one of those dwarfs variety, but not knowing where they were actually
germinated...makes me kind of leery, particularly if another nursery buys them
from that same company that I had bad dealings with in the past.
Old 20-05-2004, 03:02 AM
B & J

[...]

Did you take the dead crapes back to the dealer for refund or replacement?
There should have been a replacement guarantee. BTW, you didn't mention
where you live or your zone, but I assume you live in Florida.

I live in zone 7 and picked up four dwarves in gallon pots at an end of the
season sale in mid-August for $10.00. The holes were hard to dig even after
watering, but I finally got them planted. I mulched and watered a couple
times a week through October whenever there was no rain for a week. I did
the same thing the following year. Last year they were about three feet tall
and bloomed with no special care. I attended a lecture on crapes earlier
this week given by a grower and hybridizer at an experimental station who
stated that summer planting was better than either spring or fall planting.

John

[IMG] code is On

Crape myrtle size for barrel To b&J Harri85274 Gardening 0 21-05-2004 01:02 AM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 12:12 AM
Where to buy crape myrtle? Mick Gardening 5 10-09-2003 03:32 PM
crape myrtle mardab Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 08:44 PM