Old 21-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Kipper

Default Help, Rabbits!!!!

Is there anyway to get them out of my yard. I don't want to harm them, just
have them go away...Thanks

Old 21-05-2004, 04:06 PM
dps

Rabbits will not harm your yard. They are unlikely to harm your kids.
They like broadleaf plants, so they could potentially harm your garden.
They place their burrow in a protected area such as under a large shrub
or on the edge of a wooded area. I generally place a fence between such
an area and my garden. Since the rabbits can easily jump a fairly tall
fence, I provide something outside the fence to satisfy them. I use
clover in the lawn. It benefits the lawn and keeps the rabbits out of
the crops.

Old 21-05-2004, 06:06 PM
The Watcher

On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:55:05 -0400, dps wrote:

Rabbits will not harm your yard.

They will, however, harm your small trees if you plant some. They have eaten
some small peach trees I planted, some small dogwoods, some small walnuts, and a
few others. It's really irritating after I went to all the work of digging the
holes to plant the trees.

They are unlikely to harm your kids.
They like broadleaf plants, so they could potentially harm your garden.
They place their burrow in a protected area such as under a large shrub
or on the edge of a wooded area. I generally place a fence between such
an area and my garden. Since the rabbits can easily jump a fairly tall
fence, I provide something outside the fence to satisfy them. I use
clover in the lawn. It benefits the lawn and keeps the rabbits out of
the crops.

They can squeeze through fairly small holes in fences too. I've had several
squeeze through the holes in my backyard fence and end up running into the dog.
Unfortunately(for the rabbits) it takes them a while to squeeze back through the
holes when trying to get out again. :/
Old 21-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Bill Spohn

A professional gardner I know, now retired, was trained in Britain and ended up
managing a 1000 acre park in BC.

He was pretty matter of fact about some things and one day while giving a tour
to some garden fans a rabbit poked its head out from under a bush.

Without interupting the flow of his talk, he took the shovel in his hand,
dispatched the rabbit with one blow, used the shovel to dig a small hole,
toppled the carcass into it and covered it up.

I think he was amazed that some of the women at the back were swooning at what
he took to be as routine a thing as swatting a mosquito..

I guess you could ask an Australian if rabbits should be dealt with this way
;-)
Old 21-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Vox Humana

"The Watcher" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:55:05 -0400, dps wrote:

Rabbits will not harm your yard.

They will, however, harm your small trees if you plant some. They have

eaten
some small peach trees I planted, some small dogwoods, some small walnuts,

and a
few others. It's really irritating after I went to all the work of digging

the
holes to plant the trees.

We have owls. Between the cats and the owls, the rabbit population is kept
quite low.

Old 22-05-2004, 02:02 AM
culprit

"Kipper" wrote in message
Is there anyway to get them out of my yard. I don't want to harm them,

just
have them go away...Thanks

get a dog. since we moved in and given the dogs the run of the yard, we've
seen no more deer, no more rabbits, no squirrels, no moles, and no
woodchucks.

the only downside is that the dogs love to lick the bonemeal out of the
dirt.

-kelly

Old 22-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Sherman

"culprit" wrote in message

"Kipper" wrote in message
Is there anyway to get them out of my yard. I don't want to harm them,

just
have them go away...Thanks

get a dog. since we moved in and given the dogs the run of the yard,

we've
seen no more deer, no more rabbits, no squirrels, no moles, and no
woodchucks.

the only downside is that the dogs love to lick the bonemeal out of the
dirt.

-kelly

A nice Rotty with an otherwise friendly disposition will do fine.
Sherman.

Old 22-05-2004, 04:03 PM
r h

"Kipper" wrote in message ...
Is there anyway to get them out of my yard. I don't want to harm them, just
have them go away...Thanks

try coyote urine. seriously. soak cotton swab with it and hang inside
punched or drilled film canisters and hang them around your yard. the
urine may be available in your area, even mail order.
Old 23-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 21 May 2004 07:20:20 -0500, "Kipper"
wrote:

Is there anyway to get them out of my yard. I don't want to harm them, just
have them go away...Thanks

There's not really any way to repel rabbits. You can protect plants
with sturdy wire fencing (which must extend underground to prevent
burrowing), but if there's something rabbits like about your yard,
They Will Come.
Old 23-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Will Renkel

"Sherman" writes:

"culprit" wrote in message

"Kipper" wrote in message
Is there anyway to get them out of my yard. I don't want to harm them,

just
have them go away...Thanks

get a dog. since we moved in and given the dogs the run of the yard,

we've
seen no more deer, no more rabbits, no squirrels, no moles, and no
woodchucks.

the only downside is that the dogs love to lick the bonemeal out of the
dirt.

-kelly

A nice Rotty with an otherwise friendly disposition will do fine.
Sherman.

I use liquid fence with great success.
Available at lots of garden stores.
Spray it once a month or so on areas to be protected.

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.
REGISTERD Linux User: 300583

Old 23-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Kipper

"Will Renkel" wrote in message
"Sherman" writes:

"culprit" wrote in message

"Kipper" wrote in message
Is there anyway to get them out of my yard. I don't want to harm

them,
just
have them go away...Thanks

get a dog. since we moved in and given the dogs the run of the yard,

we've
seen no more deer, no more rabbits, no squirrels, no moles, and no
woodchucks.

the only downside is that the dogs love to lick the bonemeal out of the
dirt.

-kelly

A nice Rotty with an otherwise friendly disposition will do fine.
Sherman.

I use liquid fence with great success.
Available at lots of garden stores.
Spray it once a month or so on areas to be protected.

I've not heard of this, I'll try to find some. thanks...

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.
REGISTERD Linux User: 300583

[IMG] code is On

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Rabbits Y United Kingdom 4 19-11-2003 06:03 PM
Rabbits eating mums!! Help!!! news.bellatlantic.net Gardening 9 09-11-2003 03:12 AM
Rabbits and lawn fertilization Sigurd Kallhovde Lawns 0 12-10-2003 11:22 PM
Rabbits! John Hutchison United Kingdom 18 03-03-2003 03:24 AM