Old 23-06-2004, 09:08 PM
rj

Default Another Way To Handle Tree Stumps?

wrote in message ...

The problem now are shoots coming up everywhere from roots still under
the surface out within 6-12 feet of the old stumps. Will these
eventually diminish and die out? I pull them regularly.

You don't even have to pull them, unless you're running around there
barefoot. Just mow right over them and they'll stop in a couple years.

If you don't want to keep mowing, apply Roundup with a paint brush to the
shoots.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
gary davis

On 6/23/04 12:48 PM, in article S7lCc.96569$Sw.17518@attbi_s51, "rj"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

The problem now are shoots coming up everywhere from roots still under
the surface out within 6-12 feet of the old stumps. Will these
eventually diminish and die out? I pull them regularly.

You don't even have to pull them, unless you're running around there
barefoot. Just mow right over them and they'll stop in a couple years.

If you don't want to keep mowing, apply Roundup with a paint brush to the
shoots.

Humm...no! Don't ever use Roundup. We are trying to kill a former tree not
the drinking waters.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Michael Baugh

I suggest going to the "unwanted trees" section of the info at
http://www.monsanto.com.au/images/Ro...s/roundlbl.pdf

I also suggest that you consider that the product is immediately degraded by
exposure to soil. Even mixing it with pond water can cause a completely
ineffective solution to be produced, because of the dirt likely to be in it.
So I suggest that 'ground water pollution' not be seen as such a likely
problem.
All of the sprouts need to have the product brushed onto their leaves, and
they'll take it back into their collective systems, and the trunk as well.
Also, I suggest checking to verify that the tree is a type designated as
being susceptible to the product.
In other words, following manufacturer's instructions.

Also, feel free to give alternate info, such as from hardcopy of

"Feng, J.C., and Thompson, D. G., 1990, Fate of glyphosate in a Canadian
forest watershed. 2. Persistence in foliage and soils: J. Agric. Food Chem.,
v. 38, no. 4, pp. 1118-1125."

if applicable.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:02 PM
paghat

In article , "Ralf G. Toennies"
wrote:

If there still is a stump, drive copper nails in it. That may stop the new
shoots.

I have often seen it repeated that unwanted trees can be killed by driving
copper nails into a tree, &amp stumps can be stopped from suckering. One
method is to completely ring the bottom of a tree with 10d copper nails at
one-inch intervals, then wait two years. I've never seen any actual study
that proved this would work; if it did seem to work, I suspect it would be
because of the damage done to the bark; removing the bark from around the
base of a tree would be vastly more certain way to kill the poor tree.

Copper at high enough levels certainly is toxic to plants, & can suppress,
for example, algae growth in a pond. At extremely low levels however it is
not harmful, & copper as a solid is so slow extremely slow to decay that
copper was traditionally used in roofing & boat manufacture as one of the
most stable metals. I do not know for certain, but I do not believe a
toxic level of copper can leached out of copper nails.

If it could, then so too would copper trellises & copper watering pots &
copper flower pots kill stuff, & water running off roofs with copper trim
would be toxified. I'm aware of no evidence that this is true. Here is a
typical line of garden products made of copper:
http://www.gardenartisans.com/arbor.html
If they were ground up into filings & mixed into the garden they would be
harmful, but nothing short of that I'd reckon.

To kill whatever life is left in a stump, drilling a few holes &amp
filling them with copper sulfate might indeed kill whatever life is left
in it. Copper sulfate is available from a plumber supply. I'd do some
more research before I tried it though. By right of killing funguses,
copper might SLOW DOWN the decay of a stump, which will otherwise be
broken down over time by funguses.

The copper nail thing might be credible, but I'd have to see some data to
believe it. It seems that just about everyone has HEARD it works, but
almost nobody knows where to get copper nails, so I suspect it's just one
of those perpetually repeated rumors that no one has actually tested. When
I made a quick-search for any study or proof, I could find nothing
definitive, though the International Society of Arboriculture says it is a
myth, that if there were any truth to it, fungicides which deliver vastly
greater amounts of copper to a plant or tree would kill it
http://www.wcisa.net/myths.asp.

Another non-study which nevertheless makes a lot of sense is on-line at
Garden World, a footnote to an article on building stuff with copper for
the garden:
"It is a commonly held misconception or 'old wives tale' that copper nails
kill trees. Copper in its metallic form is not toxic to trees. The only
damage that may have occurred is simply mechanical. Thus, if there are
enough nails around the circumference of a tree to completely girdle it,
then it will die, but otherwise there will be little damage other than a
potential point of entry to decay fungi."
http://www.gardenworld.co.uk/project-copper.asp

A real field study would be more valuable, of course, but I strongly
suspect the assessment of this notion as an "old wives tale" is the
correct assessment.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 PM

Copper at high enough levels certainly is toxic to plants, & can suppress,
for example, algae growth in a pond. At extremely low levels however it is
not harmful, & copper as a solid is so slow extremely slow to decay that
copper was traditionally used in roofing & boat manufacture as one of the
most stable metals. I do not know for certain, but I do not believe a
toxic level of copper can leached out of copper nails.

Seagoing boats are (well, were) copperbottomed because it's
sufficiently toxic to reduce the amount of crud that grows on them.
I don't know if that's true in fresh-water, or not.
In any case, maybe copper nails would help if you then ****ed
all over the stump in question? I'm still in favor of an axe and shovel.
--Goedjn

Old 08-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Stormin Mormon

Where does one get copper nails? I'm not sure I want to know. vampire supply
house?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old 08-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

"gary davis" wrote

Old 08-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

"gary davis" wrote

Humm...no! Don't ever use Roundup. We are trying to kill a former tree not
the drinking waters.

Nonsense. RoundUp does absolutely nothing to groundwater or indeed, to
the ground. Glysophate is an extremely effective herbicide, NOT a
poison for people or animals or insects.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
paghat

In article , Frogleg
wrote:

"gary davis" wrote

Humm...no! Don't ever use Roundup. We are trying to kill a former tree not
the drinking waters.

Nonsense. RoundUp does absolutely nothing to groundwater or indeed, to
the ground.

Nonsense. But lets see how many lying Monsanto employees we can beat out
of the bushes to tell whoppers (the company instructs its employees to
contradict the truth on the web & on UseNet whenever they see actualities
mentioned). Here goes:

The surficant in RoundUp is directly responsible for extreme & lasting
damage that has been done to watersheds & water tables. Separate studies
have found it directly responsible for eradication of frogs.

There is more surficant in RoundUp than glyphosate, so it is a huge danger
to watersheds just on its major ingredient. But as for glyphosate in
watersheds, glyphosate easily nitrosates, forming N-nitrosoglyphosate, an
unsafe
chemical in its own right, & which degrades into Formeldehyde Sarcosine,
Methylamine, & aminomethylphosphonic acid -- so if it were even slightly
true glyphosate per se does not migrate to water, this would be because
deadly break-down chemicals do so instead.

To Monsanto this translates "glyphosate does not migrate to water."
Well, actually, it does, & Western Australia studies have proven it,
but even in environments where the glyphosate itself is broken down
rapidly hence cannot itself migrate to water, the harmful chemicals it
breaks down into, some of which are additionally carcinogenic, DO migrate
to water.

The Institute for Environment & Resources at Denmark's Technical
University concluded that regional wells in Roskilde and Storstroms cannot
be safely used for TEN YEARS because glyphosate has so badly polluted the
water table. The Institute has said it point-blank, and the Danish
Environmental
Ministry has repeated it point-blank: Monsanto's claims that glyphosate is
rapidly broken down by bacteria in the environment is false. False. What
is true is that this claim has never been supported by any research other
than was bought & paid for or conducted by Monsanto.

A western Australia study established that three species of frog were now
extinct because of glyphosate products. Separate & supportive studies on
loss of frogs & tadpoles in Canada have further established
at least ONE permanent & irrepairable effect of glyphosate products
on frogs: Extinction. The studies that have indicated that glyphosate
itself may be involved in the rising rates of lymphatic cancers in humans
is frightening enough, but the chemical mixes that have reach wetlands
are undeniably involved in the mass extinction of frogs -- so the only
sensible decision in light of even that one issue would
have to be STOP USING THESE POISONS.

Glysophate is an extremely effective herbicide, NOT a
poison for people or animals or insects.

Nonsense. The most common chemical injury presenting in California
emergency rooms turns out to be from RoundUp exposure & other
glyphosate-containing products. The majority are eye injuries & accidental
injestion by children or suicide attempts -- it is a very effective
chemical if you want to commit suicide.

Vigfusson & Vyse in MUTATION RESEARCH and Hardell & Erickson in the
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY find evidence of glyphosate as a
cancer causing agent, a likely cause of the increase in nonhodgson's
lymphoma.

More studies need to be done on glyphosate as a carcinogen, but many other
dangerous problems with glyphosate are well established by INDEPENDENT
research. A Finish study found that glyphosate lingers at toxic levels for
long periods, with an average half-life of 249 days (as opposed to the
maximum 60 day halflife claimed by Monsanto).

A half dozen studies on glyphosate's long-term destruction of beneficial
funguses in the soil credit glyphosate usage for rendering soils entirely
incapable of supporting life for many years at a st retch, once the
mycorrhizal webs are interupted.
Virtually all Absolutely Safe findings about glyphosate are either
generated in-house by Monsanto for self-serving purposes, or paid for by
Monsanto. Genuinely independent research is rarely if ever so positive as
the Monsanto-generated studies.

Monsanto, while fighting in the Australian courts to not reveal what the
miscellaneous ingredients in their glyphosate products really are, & to
limit the scope of eventual bans on several once-normative uses of
glyphosate in western Australia, rather like the cigarette companies at
first would not admit to any faults in their products, but eventually did
admit their glyphosate products had indeed caused "severe local effects"
in the Australian environment, & also finally admitted that the
low-organic-matter soils in Australia meant their glyphosate products
would not biodegrade even after a full year.

The public is not even allowed to know what the miscellaneous contents of
products like RoundUp really are. The lab tests on pure chemicals
ultimately do not apply to the toxic "mixes" of chemicals in these
products. "Mixes" of chemicals can become increasingly dangerous; for
instance, Monsanto doesn't want anyone to know that glyphosate used in the
proxity of phosphates triples in toxicity -- which means really the label
should carry the "Warning: do not use near areas that are fertilized." In
1996 Judge Robertson by court order forced Monsanto to reveal other
ingredients of their glyphosate-based brands, but the list was then sealed
by court order, so the public still does not know. Fifteen chemicals ARE
known for RoundUp alone, but the packaging lists far fewer.

NO STUDY has ever been done on the actual chemical mixes in play, and the
public and independent researchers are not even allowed to know what those
chemicals might be. But independent studies have measured toxins in
watersheds, & it is clear that these deadly Monsanto products already
pollute exactly the kind of areas Monsanto-purchased studies pretend
aren't harmed.

Make no mistake. Glyphosate is dangerous stuff. If you and I were the only
two dumbass shitheads ever to use it, then it'd be okay, but tons and tons and
tons are being dumped everywhere, and Monsanto is developing
glyphosate-tolerant crops so that they can sell three, four, TEN times the
amount of glyphosate to be dumped on the planet. Monsanto's future hinges
on their ability to sell lots of glyphosate to use on
glyophosate-resistant crops -- expect them to continue to fight with every
weapon they can to keep governments from responding rationally to a very
large threat to the environment & human health, to continue to buy of
government officials, & to keep the public too confused by Monsanto
misinformation to be sure of anything.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:30:12 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

In article , Frogleg
wrote:

"gary davis" wrote

Humm...no! Don't ever use Roundup. We are trying to kill a former tree not
the drinking waters.

Nonsense. RoundUp does absolutely nothing to groundwater or indeed, to
the ground.

Nonsense. But lets see how many lying Monsanto employees we can beat out
of the bushes to tell whoppers (the company instructs its employees to
contradict the truth on the web & on UseNet whenever they see actualities
mentioned). Here goes:

snip

I looked up every respectable (gov't, U) safety data sheet I could
find some time ago. None of them reported anything more serious than
cautions to use on a windless day to avoid aerosol drift.

Vinegar is more toxic (as an irritant) to humans, and salt *much* more
detrimental to soil and water that is to be used for growing plants.
Not to mention contamination of water supplies by "natural" waste
products.

I always wonder exactly where the line between "natural" or "organic"
-- that is, GOOD -- and "chemical", which is EVIL lies. Don't use a
"chemical" insecticide; use soap. So soap, 'though it doesn't grow on
trees or appear as a by-product of organic compost, is "natural."
Chlorine bleach is "natural" and recommended as an alternative to bad
"chemical" weedkiller. Take a look at the safety data sheets on
chlorine bleach!

I'm far from a "throw a chemical at it" garden problem-solver. I know
that most pesticides kill both desired insects and pests, so I avoid
them. I've never used fertilizer, insecticide, or weedkiller on my
lawn. But I *do* get tired of this reflexive "all 'chemicals' are bad"
attitude. Glysophate is a very effective herbicide with virtually no
evil side-effects. I believe it is viewed as evil *because* it is
effective. For those who've spend hours and hours hand-digging weeds,
only to see them re-sprout from root fragments, RoundUp is like magic.
And therefore, must be evil. The Puritan says you *must* do it the
hard way, because that's the only natural, pure way. Anything easy is
degenerate by definition.

[IMG] code is On

What do you use to poison tree stumps? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 28-03-2009 11:03 PM
Another way (perhaps the best way) of telling whether an elm is UlmusThomasii or not [email protected] Plant Science 2 09-07-2008 07:48 AM
Killing small tree stumps Jean Staffen Texas 10 01-04-2004 08:21 PM
tree stumps Mogie Gardening 2 30-09-2003 04:03 AM
Protect Tree Stumps Paul Gardening 15 04-09-2003 10:02 PM