Old 21-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Jutta Haas

Default Blue Hydrangea?

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I never saw the topic. Are
there any household potions I can add to my potted hydrangea to make the
blossoms blue? Or do I have to buy some commercial product, and if so what
is it? Thanks

Old 21-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Boston Grange

"Jutta Haas" wrote in message
ers.com...
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I never saw the topic. Are
there any household potions I can add to my potted hydrangea to make the
blossoms blue? Or do I have to buy some commercial product, and if so what
is it? Thanks

Try aluminum sulfate. If that doesn't work, kill your pet dog and bury
his/her body next to the roots.

Old 21-06-2004, 03:04 PM
redclay

Boston Grange e-mail wrote in message

"Jutta Haas" wrote in message
ers.com...
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I never saw the topic.

Are
there any household potions I can add to my potted hydrangea to make the
blossoms blue? Or do I have to buy some commercial product, and if so

what
is it? Thanks

Try aluminum sulfate. If that doesn't work, kill your pet dog and bury
his/her body next to the roots.

Aluminum sulfate will acidify the soil so I guess acid is blue and basic is
pink. You can use a very dilute solution of vinegar or azela food but much
weaker than the directions say.

Old 21-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Hal

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:21:42 GMT, "Jutta Haas"
wrote:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I never saw the topic. Are
there any household potions I can add to my potted hydrangea to make the
blossoms blue? Or do I have to buy some commercial product, and if so what
is it? Thanks

I picked this up here some time ago and never tried for (pH greater
than 7.0) red, but epsom salts (magnesium) gives a nice purple color.

Use the following to determine final bloom color (determination of
bloom color is set approx. late Aug-early Sept.):

pH 7.0 = red
6.5 - 7.0 = white
5.5 - 6.5 = pink
4.5 - 5.5 = blue
4.5 = purple

pH control for plants: to raise pH, use hydrated powdered
lime at a rate of 1.1#/100sq.ft. to raise pH 1pt. for heavy soil.
To lower pH, use ironite or iron sulphate at a rate of 2.5#/100sq.ft.
to lower pH 1 point.
For 10sq.ft. (size of large hydrangea) area use 1/4 lb. of ironite,
which is 1/2 cup.

VG information
To acidify the soil, use aluminum sulfate, which provides aluminum as
well as lowers pH, mixed 1 pound to 7 gallons of water. Soak the
ground with it after the plant starts growing in spring and repeat
twice at two-week intervals as necessary to lower the pH 1/2 point. To
raise the pH 1/2 point, spread ground limestone in spring or fall at a
rate of 5 pounds per 100 square feet.

Regards,

Hal
Old 21-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I never saw the topic. Are
there any household potions I can add to my potted hydrangea to make the
blossoms blue? Or do I have to buy some commercial product, and if so what
is it? Thanks

Most of the hydrangea's around here are very blue. The soil here is
acidic. But, the hydrangea flowers on mine are amazingly both pink
and blue with huge flower clusters--it looks "artificial." I'll post
a pic on the binary garden group when I get the film developed in a
week or two.

Old 21-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Bill R

Boston Grange wrote:

Try aluminum sulfate. If that doesn't work, kill your pet dog and bury
his/her body next to the roots.

It that suppose to be a joke? To me, that isn't even close
to being funny.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 21-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Bill R" wrote in message
Boston Grange wrote:

Try aluminum sulfate. If that doesn't work, kill your pet dog and bury
his/her body next to the roots.

It that suppose to be a joke? To me, that isn't even close
to being funny.
--

Yes, I concur. One of my dogs is in the emergency hospital now on IVs and
feeding tubes, unable to stand, and we don't know why. I have spent most of

Old 21-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Paulo

The used coffee grains are a good way to make the soil more acid. I think
you can put it around the plant.

--
Paulo
"Jutta Haas" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
yes, why?
"Paulo" wrote in message
DO you drink filtered coffee at home?

--
Paulo
ers.com...

Old 21-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Glenda

"Bill R" wrote in message
Boston Grange wrote:

Try aluminum sulfate. If that doesn't work, kill your pet dog and bury
his/her body next to the roots.

I don't like this either, it is definitely not funny!

'enry VIII

Old 21-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Jutta Haas

I sure don't like it either. Where do you buy aluminum sulfate? Could I not
put a (Canadian) coin in the pot???

"Glenda" wrote in message

Old 21-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Glenda

"Jutta Haas" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
I sure don't like it either. Where do you buy aluminum sulfate? Could I
not
put a (Canadian) coin in the pot???

You could and you could also put a boiled egg in the pot, both will do about
the same thing, nothing! ;-)

'enry VIII

Old 22-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Amy D

Paulo wrote:

The used coffee grains are a good way to make the soil more acid. I think
you can put it around the plant.

Does it have to be filtered? What about the sludge from the bottom of a
French Press coffee pot?

amy

Old 22-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Fred

I thought it was funny... of course I don't belong to the politically
correct - watch what you say - can't chance hurting someones feelings
crowd that so dominates American culture today.

Keep up the 'dry' humor!

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:47:29 -0400, "Boston Grange" e-mail wrote:

"Jutta Haas" wrote in message
gers.com...
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I never saw the topic. Are
there any household potions I can add to my potted hydrangea to make the
blossoms blue? Or do I have to buy some commercial product, and if so what
is it? Thanks

Try aluminum sulfate. If that doesn't work, kill your pet dog and bury
his/her body next to the roots.

[IMG] code is On

Blue dwarf hydrangea Jim Scott United Kingdom 4 17-02-2006 01:46 PM
Hydrangea mop head blue Rich United Kingdom 4 07-11-2003 01:23 AM
Blue Hydrangea binkx United Kingdom 1 17-08-2003 04:22 PM
Ensuring a Blue Hydrangea Fleemo Gardening 0 29-05-2003 09:08 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM