Old 22-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Ultra Modern Daylilies

It was naming rights and a charitable contribution.
Cheryl

On 7/22/04 12:56 PM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

That has got to be the stupidest $6000 investment I've ever heard of. I know
some chumps who still think they're going to retire on the massive fortunes
they'll make when they sell their Beanie Baby collections, but even that
doesn't come close.

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
From a local magazine, Manitoba Gardener, Summer 2004, p. 28:

...a new introduction by daylily hybridizer Ted Petit - recently sold for
whopping $6,000 at a Canadian Hemerocallis Society auction in Niagara

Falls
to Dr. Larry Gooden and his wife Pat Keisel. Obviously thrilled with the
plant, the couple promptly named it "Larry's Obsession".

The photo show a beautiful flower, purple with white ruffled edge.

Andrew

"Cat" wrote in message
In article ,
Frogleg wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:39:26 GMT,
(Cat)
wrote:

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a
good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather

like
dustcovers ;

?? The flowers don't look like book jackets to me at all. Did you
mean dustmop? :-)

Heh ; No - I'm thinking of the wretchedly ruffled victorian

mostrosities
that they used to put on -everything- to "keep the dust off" ;

With some 50,000 hemerocallis cultivars, there's bound to be
considerable straying from the original(?) orange ditch-lily. I
thought they were rather interesting. Not $200 interesting, but if
someone planted one in my yard, I wouldn't dig it up. :-)

Heh. If I'm going to spend $200, I think I'd buy peonies ;

http://www.pivoinescapano.com/

cheers!

"A cat spends her life conflicted between a deep, passionate and

profound
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."

Old 22-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Wil

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
From a local magazine, Manitoba Gardener, Summer 2004, p. 28:

...a new introduction by daylily hybridizer Ted Petit - recently sold for
whopping $6,000 at a Canadian Hemerocallis Society auction in Niagara

Falls
to Dr. Larry Gooden and his wife Pat Keisel. Obviously thrilled with the
plant, the couple promptly named it "Larry's Obsession".

The photo show a beautiful flower, purple with white ruffled edge.

Andrew

One small correction. It was not "sold" for $6,000. They buyer only gets to
name the daylily. My opinion is that Ted Petit should "give" a fan of that
cultivar to the winner who will name it. The in question by Ted Petit is a
trend setter. It is a near black [probably a very dark red or grape] with a
white toothy edge. The tooth edge looks something like the old pinking
scissors cut. Teeth are a new trend in daylilies. Everyone is trying to
get a toothed edge that will be reliable and will show itself in all weather
conditions. Since I am a cold climate grower I know the frustrations of
buying a toothy edged daylily that shows its edge under the hot sun of
Florida but rarely shows up here, even in the best of weather. Time and
experience with that cultivar will tell if the edge will show up in every
climate.

Wil

Old 22-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/22/04 2:32 PM, in article , "Wil"
wrote:

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
From a local magazine, Manitoba Gardener, Summer 2004, p. 28:

[...]

I've had the pleasure of meeting Ted Petit several times and hoisting a few
beers with him. I suspect Ted gave the winner several fans.

If you are looking for teeth Wil, have you seen Rogue from Melanie Mason?
Cheryl

Old 22-07-2004, 09:25 PM
paghat

If it were way more affordable than $6000 to buy the naming rights of a
new cultivar, I'd love to name a daylily "Monkey Dunky." The tragedy would
be if like most cultivars it just vanished from production anywhere in the
world shortly after being named & registered, & my precious Monkey Dunky
would never be seen again.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 27-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Doug Kanter

"Karen" wrote in message
om...

I agree. They are ugly. When did sickly and deseased looks become
fashionable?

It began with the tulip frenzy in Europe, whenever that was (1800s?
Earlier?)

Old 27-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Ann

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

My DH is going to shoot you - I want Green Halo!

That is a sweet one! I want veitchii. I had it, and lost it this
past winter.....and had paid $45 for it (ouch!)

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 27-07-2004, 05:23 AM
Volfie

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
.com...
http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall

2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Enjoy,

Bobby

I actually like the daylillies but for $200 they better come into my house,
clean it, mop the floors and do windows.

Giselle (I like the daylillies I dig up free in the ditches)

Old 27-07-2004, 05:23 AM
paghat

In article , "Volfie"
wrote:

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
.com...
http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall

2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Enjoy,

Bobby

I actually like the daylillies but for $200 they better come into my house,
clean it, mop the floors and do windows.

Giselle (I like the daylillies I dig up free in the ditches)

I felt the same way about the Grant Mitchell daffodil catalog. I mean, is
there even a slightly lowered chance of getting some variety that tips
over if you pay a fortune for one bulb? Not bloody likely. Are these
pricy bulbs REALLY two-hundred times more beautiful than affordable
daffodils? If they were we'd go blind at the very sight of 'em. If I was
rich instead of poor would I not think twice about the price? I'd hope if
I was in a money-blowing mood I'd think more about the needy (I mean, for
the price of one bulb for my selfish self, I could buy a couple dozen
really nice big perennials to give to destitute gardeners).

Old 27-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Iris Cohen

These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next
48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

$200 for a daylily? Vey is mir. What are they made of?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)