Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Wil

Default Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Michelle" wrote in message
just proovs I'd never make it rubbing elbows with the rich gardeners
I'm just too satisfied with the old tried and true although I have a
very pretty canna that I got from a friend and it is doing quite well
and I get a lot of ooo's and ahhh's from the neighbors
but I think that it's just not worth it to pay through the nose for a
fancy flower like that unless you are a nursery who plans to grow and
sell it it's like paying two hundred and fifty dollars for some sort
of new sneaker or six thousand dollars for a suit just to wear once I
guess if you have nothing better to do with your money go ahead go
crazy

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:23:47 -0400, "Wil" wrote:

Daylily growers and hybridizers are not rich folks. Some are scientists in
horticulture. Some are plenty wealthy though from a life time of work in
other unrelated career fields. I sell plenty of tried and true older
daylilies for $6. They are much less expensive from me, a daylily
counasour, than from the garden centers who pay less for a daylily tissue
culture than I pay for a true division, but the garden centers over charge
for the variety. I can sell you a very nice newer developed daylily for
$15. The very expensive ones are for collectors and breeders and those who
want the "rolls royce" of NEW daylily introductions. Given a little time
the $200 daylily will be $6. It is supply and demand. When they are so
plentiful I chop them up. They are of little value unless someone rescues
it.

Wil

Old 22-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/22/04 8:03 AM, in article , "Wil"
wrote:

"Michelle" wrote in message
[...]

Well said.

I sell daylilies from my garden to word of mouth customers (friends of
friends, typically) - very few things for more than $10 for a triple fan for
a newer intro.

I refuse to buy anything that is a first year intro that is more than $50;
sometimes even I just HAVE TO have it.

Cheryl

Old 22-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Wil

I sell daylilies from my garden to word of mouth customers (friends of
friends, typically) - very few things for more than $10 for a triple fan

for
a newer intro.

I refuse to buy anything that is a first year intro that is more than $50;
sometimes even I just HAVE TO have it.

Cheryl

Oh don't i know that "have to have" feeling. In my breeding program I buy
ones I once thought were so out of reach for me. The turn over the first
few years of the expensive ones are to other growers/hybridizers looking for
a bargain price for a new daylily. The hybridizer keeps his price higher
than I do for many years after I am trying to sell the increase that is too
much for my garden space. :-)

I am about to intro a few new varieties. I am wrestling with what to charge
for a single fan of the new cultivars. I agree many of the new things are
way over priced, mostly by the top hybridizers located in Florida, Texas and
the Carolinas. I am way up north where many of the new southern intros just
are not hardy for me the first year or so. They may survive but perform
here like a wal mart tissue culture [laughing].

There is a mindset among the buyers of new intros that if one charges too
little for the new daylily it must be third rate. Far from it. I would
love to get plugged into the backyard hybridizers whose work is under rated
because they are new to daylily breeding. A few well known hybridizers get
all the attention, but many are producing lousy cultivars for northern
growers. Don't get me wrong, they sure have a pretty face but there are
problems with hardiness, flower opening, color saturation or foliage that
gets raggy mid season. In early summer we still may have 60 degree nights.
That can make a beauty look ugly real fast.

Wil

Old 22-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/22/04 8:55 AM, in article , "Wil"
wrote:

I sell daylilies from my garden to word of mouth customers (friends of
friends, typically) - very few things for more than $10 for a triple fan

for
a newer intro.

I refuse to buy anything that is a first year intro that is more than $50;
sometimes even I just HAVE TO have it.

Cheryl

Oh don't i know that "have to have" feeling.

I have a few times - once for support a buddy who was just starting to
release to the public and it is still doing great things for me. And another
was only $35 and had "personality".

In my breeding program I buy
ones I once thought were so out of reach for me. The turn over the first
few years of the expensive ones are to other growers/hybridizers looking for
a bargain price for a new daylily. The hybridizer keeps his price higher
than I do for many years after I am trying to sell the increase that is too
much for my garden space. :-)

I am about to intro a few new varieties. I am wrestling with what to charge
for a single fan of the new cultivars. I agree many of the new things are
way over priced, mostly by the top hybridizers located in Florida, Texas and
the Carolinas. I am way up north where many of the new southern intros just
are not hardy for me the first year or so. They may survive but perform
here like a wal mart tissue culture [laughing].

Do you need a test site?
Do post your website or send me some pictures!

There is a mindset among the buyers of new intros that if one charges too
little for the new daylily it must be third rate. Far from it. I would
love to get plugged into the backyard hybridizers whose work is under rated
because they are new to daylily breeding. A few well known hybridizers get
all the attention, but many are producing lousy cultivars for northern
growers. Don't get me wrong, they sure have a pretty face but there are
problems with hardiness, flower opening, color saturation or foliage that
gets raggy mid season. In early summer we still may have 60 degree nights.
That can make a beauty look ugly real fast.

One of the formerly local hybridizers from my local club would go down to
Florida and buy the unregistered siblings (same cross) of the keepers and so
called bridge plants (used to hopefully pass on certain qualities).

BTW - where are you!
Cheryl

Old 22-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Andrew Ostrander

From a local magazine, Manitoba Gardener, Summer 2004, p. 28:

....a new introduction by daylily hybridizer Ted Petit - recently sold for
whopping $6,000 at a Canadian Hemerocallis Society auction in Niagara Falls
to Dr. Larry Gooden and his wife Pat Keisel. Obviously thrilled with the
plant, the couple promptly named it "Larry's Obsession".

The photo show a beautiful flower, purple with white ruffled edge.

Andrew

"Cat" wrote in message
In article ,
Frogleg wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:39:26 GMT, (Cat)
wrote:

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a
good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather

like
dustcovers ;

?? The flowers don't look like book jackets to me at all. Did you
mean dustmop? :-)

Heh ; No - I'm thinking of the wretchedly ruffled victorian mostrosities
that they used to put on -everything- to "keep the dust off" ;

With some 50,000 hemerocallis cultivars, there's bound to be
considerable straying from the original(?) orange ditch-lily. I
thought they were rather interesting. Not $200 interesting, but if
someone planted one in my yard, I wouldn't dig it up. :-)

Heh. If I'm going to spend $200, I think I'd buy peonies ;

http://www.pivoinescapano.com/

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."

Old 22-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Oh yes - I have seen "naming rights" go for obscene amounts of money. Those
funds tend to go to clubs not the hybridizer.
Cheryl

On 7/22/04 10:03 AM, in article , "Andrew
Ostrander" wrote:

From a local magazine, Manitoba Gardener, Summer 2004, p. 28:

...a new introduction by daylily hybridizer Ted Petit - recently sold for
whopping $6,000 at a Canadian Hemerocallis Society auction in Niagara Falls
to Dr. Larry Gooden and his wife Pat Keisel. Obviously thrilled with the
plant, the couple promptly named it "Larry's Obsession".

The photo show a beautiful flower, purple with white ruffled edge.

Andrew

Old 22-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Doug Kanter

That has got to be the stupidest $6000 investment I've ever heard of. I know
some chumps who still think they're going to retire on the massive fortunes
they'll make when they sell their Beanie Baby collections, but even that
doesn't come close.

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
From a local magazine, Manitoba Gardener, Summer 2004, p. 28:

...a new introduction by daylily hybridizer Ted Petit - recently sold for
whopping $6,000 at a Canadian Hemerocallis Society auction in Niagara

Falls
to Dr. Larry Gooden and his wife Pat Keisel. Obviously thrilled with the
plant, the couple promptly named it "Larry's Obsession".

The photo show a beautiful flower, purple with white ruffled edge.

Andrew

"Cat" wrote in message
wrote:

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a
good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather

like
dustcovers ;

?? The flowers don't look like book jackets to me at all. Did you
mean dustmop? :-)

Heh ; No - I'm thinking of the wretchedly ruffled victorian

mostrosities
that they used to put on -everything- to "keep the dust off" ;

With some 50,000 hemerocallis cultivars, there's bound to be
considerable straying from the original(?) orange ditch-lily. I
thought they were rather interesting. Not $200 interesting, but if
someone planted one in my yard, I wouldn't dig it up. :-)

Heh. If I'm going to spend $200, I think I'd buy peonies ;

http://www.pivoinescapano.com/

cheers!

"A cat spends her life conflicted between a deep, passionate and

profound
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."

Old 22-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Cheryl Isaak

It was naming rights and a charitable contribution.
Cheryl

On 7/22/04 12:56 PM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

That has got to be the stupidest $6000 investment I've ever heard of. I know
some chumps who still think they're going to retire on the massive fortunes
they'll make when they sell their Beanie Baby collections, but even that
doesn't come close.

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
From a local magazine, Manitoba Gardener, Summer 2004, p. 28:

...a new introduction by daylily hybridizer Ted Petit - recently sold for
whopping $6,000 at a Canadian Hemerocallis Society auction in Niagara

Falls
to Dr. Larry Gooden and his wife Pat Keisel. Obviously thrilled with the
plant, the couple promptly named it "Larry's Obsession".

The photo show a beautiful flower, purple with white ruffled edge.

Andrew