Old 26-07-2004, 03:57 AM
Perry Templeton

Default Coffee grounds--upon what?

Where are you? Your weather description sounds like you are in my back
yard. I'm in Houma.
Perry
"Zemedelec" wrote in message
The local Starbucks has taken to packaging its used coffee grounds in

5-pound,
waterproof bags and leaving a barrel full of them by the door "for our
customers' gardens". I love freebies, so midway through garaging I

grabbed a
bag and took it home with my garage/estate sale finds. Now what? Do I

dump it
around plants as it is or do I need to start a compost heap (in this 100+,

98
percent humidity weather the thought makes me cringe.)
zemedelec

Old 26-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Pen

Go ahead, dump it, rake it in. It smells wonderful whenever you walk
by. A bit of warning though, I find whenever I pick up spent coffee
grounds at the end of a hot day, there are already maggots in them --
small ones. If that seems creepy then wear gloves or use tools to
handle. The maggots are harmless to plants.
Old 26-07-2004, 05:07 AM
Zemedelec

Where are you? Your weather description sounds like you are in my back
yard. I'm in Houma.

Very close. I live on Louisiana Ave. in NO. Old house with very few
"alterations" (and lots of repairs to be done) and a good sized subtropical
garden which is mostly my doing. But the weather here has been awful for a
couple of weeks--the only time I go out to tend to it, slathered with Backwoods
Out! and fully clothed in long sleeves and pants, is before 9 or after 5.
zemedelec
Old 26-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Zemedelec" wrote in message
The local Starbucks has taken to packaging its used coffee grounds in

5-pound,
waterproof bags and leaving a barrel full of them by the door "for our
customers' gardens". I love freebies, so midway through garaging I

grabbed a
bag and took it home with my garage/estate sale finds. Now what? Do I

dump it
around plants as it is or do I need to start a compost heap (in this 100+,

98
percent humidity weather the thought makes me cringe.)
zemedelec

You can scatter the grounds around any acid loving plant - hydrangeas,
camellias, rhodies or azaleas - in fact, pretty much any broadleaf evergreen
shrub will benefit from them. If scattering directly, I wouldn't overdo. A
couple times a season is sufficient.

You could always start that compost pile once the weather cools a bit.

pam - gardengal

Old 26-07-2004, 05:29 AM
Perry Templeton

You would have done well to know our friend to help you with your house.
The fellow who was shot at Jazz Fest was our very good friend. He lived
around the block from us, and we shared interests in old cajun carpentry.
Perry

Old 26-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Zemedelec

If that seems creepy then wear gloves or use tools to
handle. The maggots are harmless to plants. BRBR

And helpful in the normally agonizing debridement of badly healing wounds.
That's right, folks--the old wives had some excellent remedies (if repellent to
modern tastes.) Maggots only eat DEAD flesh--so the doctors who keep up on
their medical reading are bringing them back, all laboratory bred and sterile,
of course, when a wound won't heal or shows signs of going gangrenous. And of
course you all have heard about the new/old use of leeches in microsurgery.
Nasty looking creatures, but I'd rather feed a few leeches than lose a severed
finger to the tiny blood vessels clotting up. The leeches' saliva keeps them
from doing that.

Oops. We were talking about gardening, weren't we?!
zemedelec

Old 27-07-2004, 05:24 AM
Zemedelec

You would have done well to know our friend to help you with your house.
The fellow who was shot at Jazz Fest was our very good friend. He lived
around the block from us, and we shared interests in old cajun carpentry.
P BRBR

That seemed like such a senseless, repellent crime. I didn't know the guy,
but...

About the carpentry--I wonder. This is, theoretically, the "American sector".
Would they have had Cajun workers in 1880? One piece of the house--an
elaborate iron fire surround I found broken in 3 pieces at The Green Project's
new digs (they seem to have a much higher quality and more unusual stuff, plus
more than fair prices--is Creole and antebellum, or so said the guy who
soldered it together for me, almost invisibly. He owns that place on
Tchoupitoulas where a giant iron Praying Mantis, twice as tall as I am, held
pride of place a couple of months ago--his own work. Said the Creoles liked
their mantels even fancier than the Americans, so the raised decorations were
copper, though covered in black paint. Since the room is colorful enough as is
(olive green, dull pink and beige tiles around the fireplace, white woodwork
and the previous inhabitants, Robert Shakespeare and family, painted the walls
rose pink, matching patterned curtains that hide the AC outside) I left it
black.

Leslie
zemedelec

[IMG] code is On

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 05:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 04:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 08:15 AM