Old 25-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Bill Oliver

Default Passiflora incarnata -- are there any others this hardy?

The other day I was walking in a State Park here in Georgia and came across
a vine with a delightfully flashy bloom. I looked all over the place to
find out what it was and discovered that it was the Passion Flower/Maypop,
aka Passiflora incarnata. In scouting some sources, I find that there
are a bunch of Passiflora, but all the others I have seen require tropical
or semi-tropical climate. I live in zone 6b-7 in the North Georgia
mountains.

Are there any other Passion Flowers that can overwinter outdoors in
Southern Appalacia?

Thanks!

billo
Old 25-08-2004, 01:08 AM
zxcvbob

Bill Oliver wrote:
The other day I was walking in a State Park here in Georgia and came across
a vine with a delightfully flashy bloom. I looked all over the place to
find out what it was and discovered that it was the Passion Flower/Maypop,
aka Passiflora incarnata. In scouting some sources, I find that there
are a bunch of Passiflora, but all the others I have seen require tropical
or semi-tropical climate. I live in zone 6b-7 in the North Georgia
mountains.

Are there any other Passion Flowers that can overwinter outdoors in
Southern Appalacia?

Thanks!

billo

Yes. DW grew up not-to-far-south of Chattanooga, just barely in the
Appalachians, and says they grew wind there.

Bob
Old 25-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Yes. DW grew up not-to-far-south of Chattanooga, just barely in the
Appalachians, and says they grew wind there.

Bob

That's my part of the country!

Just P. incarnata or a different one? The Maypop I saw in the park was
wild. I was just curious if anything other than P incarnata would
grow up here, or just that one species.

billo
Old 25-08-2004, 01:45 AM
zxcvbob

Bill Oliver wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Yes. DW grew up not-to-far-south of Chattanooga, just barely in the
Appalachians, and says they grew wind there.

Bob

That's my part of the country!

Just P. incarnata or a different one? The Maypop I saw in the park was
wild. I was just curious if anything other than P incarnata would
grow up here, or just that one species.

billo

P. incarnata, or purple passionflower, or maypop. It is a state flower
of Tennessee. I would expect you to be able to find it at any garden
center there.

I have no idea if any South American tropical varieties will grow there
without extensive winter protection.

Bob
Old 25-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

P. incarnata, or purple passionflower, or maypop. It is a state flower
of Tennessee. I would expect you to be able to find it at any garden
center there.

I have no idea if any South American tropical varieties will grow there
without extensive winter protection.

Bob

Thanks. The latter was my question. I found one place out of Atlanta
that has a website (I haven't ordered anything from them, so this is
*not* an endorsement or review or criticism of the site):

http://passionflowerfarms.com

that lists two others:

Passiflora "Incense" -- which looks an awful lot like a regular maypop.
Passiflora caerulea "Blue Passion Flower" -- which it says is "root
hardy" to zone 6. I assume "root hardy" means that, like the regular
maypop, it dies back in the winter and re-emerges in the spring.

billo

Old 25-08-2004, 04:59 AM
J. Kolenovsky

Check with the Georgia Native Plant Society and find out about all
species that grow in Georgia.
http://www.gnps.org/

J. Kolenovsky

Bill Oliver wrote:
=

The other day I was walking in a State Park here in Georgia and came ac=

ross
a vine with a delightfully flashy bloom. I looked all over the place t=

find out what it was and discovered that it was the Passion Flower/Mayp=

op,
aka Passiflora incarnata. In scouting some sources, I find that there
are a bunch of Passiflora, but all the others I have seen require tropi=

cal
or semi-tropical climate. I live in zone 6b-7 in the North Georgia
mountains.
=

Are there any other Passion Flowers that can overwinter outdoors in
Southern Appalacia?
=

Thanks!
=

billo

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 25-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Look for P. edulis (the edible passionfruit vine) as well. P. caerulea
should work well for you. Here in zone 8 it is mostly an evergreen vine, but
in colder climates it will suffer winter dieback. Plant in protected
location, preferrably with some reflected heat, to minimize this.

pam - gardengal

Old 25-08-2004, 05:06 PM
MLW

Thanks. The latter was my question. I found one place out of Atlanta
that has a website (I haven't ordered anything from them, so this is
*not* an endorsement or review or criticism of the site):

http://passionflowerfarms.com

that lists two others:

Passiflora "Incense" -- which looks an awful lot like a regular maypop.
Passiflora caerulea "Blue Passion Flower" -- which it says is "root
hardy" to zone 6. I assume "root hardy" means that, like the regular
maypop, it dies back in the winter and re-emerges in the spring.

billo

I've ordered from Logees greenhouse quite a few times and have always been
happy with the plants they send. I know they have a large selection of
passion flowers and they have the 2 selections Pam recommended looking for
(P. edulis and P. caerulea )

www.logees.com

Mary

Old 25-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
MLW wrote:

I've ordered from Logees greenhouse quite a few times and have always been
happy with the plants they send. I know they have a large selection of
passion flowers and they have the 2 selections Pam recommended looking for
(P. edulis and P. caerulea )

I'll give them a look. Thanks!

billo

Old 26-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...est+passiflora

Look for P. edulis (the edible passionfruit vine) as well. P. caerulea
should work well for you. Here in zone 8 it is mostly an evergreen
vine, but in colder climates it will suffer winter dieback. Plant in
protected location, preferrably with some reflected heat, to minimize
this.

pam - gardengal

edulis may (i'm not sure) survive most winters in san jose area (south
bay of san francsico), but frosts out worse farther north. not sure if
the yellow varities are any better.

Old 26-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"J. Kolenovsky" in :

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...i?symbol=PASSI
Old 26-08-2004, 01:11 AM
paghat

wrote:

Look for P. edulis (the edible passionfruit vine) as well. P. caerulea
should work well for you. Here in zone 8 it is mostly an evergreen vine, but
in colder climates it will suffer winter dieback. Plant in protected
location, preferrably with some reflected heat, to minimize this.

pam - gardengal

My P caerulea produced a huge crop of maypops this year, ripening serially
in July & August, & they're very tasty. Though seedy, the seeds are soft,
& all the bright red pulp can be chewed up seeds & all without having a
seedy texture. The rinds I usually just compost as there's just too much
of it, but some of it I use the same as one would fry green tomato
substututes, or fry in olive oil along with green peppers & onions & basil
& black pepper, keeping it in refrigerator (lasts ages) to use as a relish
on veggy gardenburgers.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"