Old 22-10-2004, 06:12 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Nasturtiums grew wildly this year

It is intereting how much small differences can vary results. I
planted the same nasturtiums from the same seed packet as last year in
the same spot. They weren't as crowded as last year and they grew like
wildfire.

Just two plants grew up to 18 feet vines that snaked into every hole.
They even went through a crevice between the wood frame and stone,
grew under the steps and came out through an alcove. Another set of
them also grew well in a new bed. Another variety--salmon colored were
overwhelmed by this type and did little. A variegated version grew
into nice compact bushes.

Compact Variegated version:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...d9.jpg&.src=ph

Monster Nasturtiums:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...09.jpg&.src=ph
Those slate blocks are 3 feet long by comparison.

Unfortunately I had to take them down today cause I finally had time
to do some garden work. The Nasturtiums (which also grew five feet
vertically) intertwined with tomatoes and grape vines. I needed to get
them all untangled. They all are still growing and flowering a week
before Halloween in Zone 6b. Last year my Nasturtiums go overrun with
aphids and I just yanked them.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/
Old 23-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Buzzy

DigitalVinyl wrote:
It is intereting how much small differences can vary results. I
planted the same nasturtiums from the same seed packet as last year in
the same spot. They weren't as crowded as last year and they grew like
wildfire.

Yes, I had wonderful success with mine this year in my area (zone 7), in
both pots and in the beds. I had it completely overtake the catnip under
my protective cage (damn ferals!), and it really made my patio pots
stand out. I really love them. Here's some pics if you want to see.
They're in there somewhere.

http://www.buzzys.net/gardens2004

Buzzy

--
--- Buzzy's Stall Wall ---
www.buzzys.net
Old 23-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:12:45 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Compact Variegated version:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...d9.jpg&.src=ph

Monster Nasturtiums:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...09.jpg&.src=ph
Those slate blocks are 3 feet long by comparison.

Love the photos of your garden, Digital. You've had some amazing
successes. You *do* know that nasturtiums are edible, don't you?
Old 23-10-2004, 04:12 PM
David Ross

DigitalVinyl wrote [in part]:

It is intereting how much small differences can vary results. I
planted the same nasturtiums from the same seed packet as last year in
the same spot. They weren't as crowded as last year and they grew like
wildfire.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

I planted nasturtiums from seed in 1993 on My Hill. They reseed
and come back every year.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 23-10-2004, 04:29 PM
DigitalVinyl

wrote:

Compact Variegated version:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...d9.jpg&.src=ph

Monster Nasturtiums:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...09.jpg&.src=ph
Those slate blocks are 3 feet long by comparison.

Love the photos of your garden, Digital. You've had some amazing
successes. You *do* know that nasturtiums are edible, don't you?

Yeah, I seem to recall trying some last year. The taste didn't stand
out in my mind one way or the other.

Old 23-10-2004, 04:33 PM
DigitalVinyl

David Ross wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote [in part]:

It is intereting how much small differences can vary results. I
planted the same nasturtiums from the same seed packet as last year in
the same spot. They weren't as crowded as last year and they grew like
wildfire.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

I planted nasturtiums from seed in 1993 on My Hill. They reseed
and come back every year.

I certainly wouldn't mind volunteers, they are a great trap crop for
aphids. I'm still developing growing beds. I reworked the ground a bit
this year early in the season, so I haven't really given stuff a
chance to reseed easily(except weeds). Next year I may have more
volunteers. Last years Violas popped up everywhere (especially between
bricks) and some dill came up.

Old 23-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:29:45 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

You *do* know that nasturtiums are edible, don't you?

Yeah, I seem to recall trying some last year. The taste didn't stand
out in my mind one way or the other.

I don't think any edible flowers are prized for their taste, but
simply being decorative elements you can add to food without haveing
to pick out before eating. Nasturtiums and daylilies are very dramatic
additions to green salads.
Old 24-10-2004, 12:20 AM
culprit

"Frogleg" wrote in message
news

I don't think any edible flowers are prized for their taste, but
simply being decorative elements you can add to food without haveing
to pick out before eating. Nasturtiums and daylilies are very dramatic
additions to green salads.

actually, it's the leaves that are really good. they have the texture of
spinach, and the flavor of radishes. they're best when young.

-kelly

Old 24-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Greg Miller

This year was indeed a great year for nasturtiums. From my direct
seedings I now have plants all over my property, still blooming
strong.

Best of all, I've got literally hundreds of seeds for next year. BTW,
the flowers are mildly spicy, the leaves a little more so, but try the
seeds - these things are hot! A cross between mustard seed, ginger and
hot pepper.

Greg
Toronto, Ont.
US Zone 5

Old 24-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Frogleg

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:20:25 -0700, "culprit"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

I don't think any edible flowers are prized for their taste, but
simply being decorative elements you can add to food without haveing
to pick out before eating. Nasturtiums and daylilies are very dramatic
additions to green salads.

actually, it's the leaves that are really good. they have the texture of
spinach, and the flavor of radishes. they're best when young.

I find most of the non-traditional edibles (plantain, dandelion,
nasturtium) to be too bitter for me. I understand nasturtium seeds can
also be used or pickled at some stage as a caper substitute. I just
prefer the flowers as spots of edible decor. :-)
Old 24-10-2004, 09:59 PM
DigitalVinyl

Heather wrote:

wow, that is a long vine. I have tried nasturtiums and never got them grow
that long. Did you use anything like plant food or just let them go?

Last year I mixed a lot of amendments which included fertilizer into
this soil (greensand, aged manure, humus, aluminim sulfate, triple
phosphates). I conditioned the soil down 18". This year I may have
sprinkled some of those 3-5 month fertilizer pellets. I didn't track
my garden well this year. I also used a liquid seaweed fertilizer on
the garden once a month, twice during heavy fruit bearing months. But
the conditions were pretty much the smae or better last year--just
more crowded. These things just reached out all over the place.

Old 25-10-2004, 07:23 AM
gregpresley

The conventional wisdom on nasturtiums is not that they don't like
fertilizer - merely that they will produce lusher, bigger foliage and fewer
flowers than they do in poorer soil. That being said, the nasturtiums I
planted in rich potting soil are HUGE and flower-laden right now - and since
I planted the vining/trailing variety, have now made a carpet 4-6 feet
around every pot. I also planted some seeds in a dry-shade area with some
difficult root competition issues as an experiment - and they did nothing
all summer long. Only one has bloomed - a single bloom.
/