Old 12-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Andrea Bostrom

Default What grew best for you this year?

I am in Zone 6 in Kentucky and my tomatoes, green peppers,
jalapeno peppers and habernero peppers all thrived and I have many bags of them
stored in my freezer for chili this winter. Strangely, my squash and zucchini,
which usually grow like weeds, did not do well. Nor did my egglant.

Andrea

Old 12-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

WEEDS!!!!

With all that heavy rain, the grass grew higher than an elephant's
behind!!!!

Is it true that down there in Kentucky, your grass does blue humor?

I don't know what you're going to call that corn whiskey of yours but by the
time you get to Bourbon county, you're bound to think of something?!!!!

Old 12-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Madgardener

"Andrea Bostrom" wrote in message
I am in Zone 6 in Kentucky and my tomatoes, green peppers,
jalapeno peppers and habernero peppers all thrived and I have many bags of

them
stored in my freezer for chili this winter. Strangely, my squash and

zucchini,
which usually grow like weeds, did not do well. Nor did my egglant.

Andrea

hmmmm, well, quite a large number of my various perennials. The absolute
best was actually the fig tree if rated for performance. It set fruits
earlier than it ever had. In March. Then when it started ripeniing come the
end of August, it started cranking out figs unlike any other time in the
last three years it's produced fruit. And it's still cranking out figs.
Great huge ones that are sweeter than I would have thought possible for
early October. I have three pounds of them in the fridge and I need a
receipe because I hate to throw them away when they turn.

madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler, which overlooks English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee in zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 12-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Dave Fouchey

My Tomato's did very well but the Bronze Fennel was a real showpiece.
Lavender did exceptionally well as did the dandelions....;-)

Dave
Sterling Heights, MI

Old 12-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Tina Gibson

"Andrea Bostrom" wrote in message
I am in Zone 6 in Kentucky and my tomatoes, green peppers,
jalapeno peppers and habernero peppers all thrived and I have many bags of

them
stored in my freezer for chili this winter. Strangely, my squash and

zucchini,
which usually grow like weeds, did not do well. Nor did my egglant.

Andrea

Overall had probably the worst 'yield' year ever - with the exception of
beans - jars and jars of those. My tomato yields were down (30lbs as opposed
to ~50 last yr) as were sweet peppers - not enough consistent sun this yr.
Hot Thai peppers did well as did cayennes.
All the herbs did awesome - especially basil and dill.
Tina

Old 12-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

"Andrea Bostrom" wrote in message
I am in Zone 6 in Kentucky and my tomatoes, green peppers,
jalapeno peppers and habernero peppers all thrived and I have many bags of

them
stored in my freezer for chili this winter. Strangely, my squash and

zucchini,
which usually grow like weeds, did not do well. Nor did my egglant.

Andrea

In Central Maryland, the fungus grew the best. Other than that, the Leeland
Cypres and Arbor Vitae grew well. Terrible year for fruit.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:42 PM

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:31:36 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
wrote:

"Andrea Bostrom" wrote in message
I am in Zone 6 in Kentucky and my tomatoes, green peppers,
jalapeno peppers and habernero peppers all thrived and I have many bags of

them
stored in my freezer for chili this winter. Strangely, my squash and

zucchini,
which usually grow like weeds, did not do well. Nor did my egglant.

Andrea

In Central Maryland, the fungus grew the best. Other than that, the Leeland
Cypres and Arbor Vitae grew well. Terrible year for fruit.

In So.Calif coastal, 24/8: Green beans. Out the kazoo. Went down
fighting, even when I had to pull out the vines.

So many, I had to learn to freeze the surplus. Hope they taste good
when thawed and nukes.

--

Persephone

Old 12-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Tina Gibson

wrote:

[...]

They do - they taste great - better if you blanched them first!

Old 12-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Bill Spohn

Well, my Gunnera, but then you could say that in just about any year.......

Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 PM
NAearthMOM

My dahlias did well, as did my roses until the black spot took over.

Eggplant nada..........tomatoes, okay..........forget about squash............

Love caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
Old 13-10-2003, 04:32 AM
B & J

"Madgardener" wrote in message

hmmmm, well, quite a large number of my various perennials. The absolute
best was actually the fig tree if rated for performance. It set fruits
earlier than it ever had. In March. Then when it started ripeniing come

the
end of August, it started cranking out figs unlike any other time in the
last three years it's produced fruit. And it's still cranking out figs.
Great huge ones that are sweeter than I would have thought possible for
early October. I have three pounds of them in the fridge and I need a
receipe because I hate to throw them away when they turn.

madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler, which overlooks English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee in zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Figs, huh? Want to swap some for 'maters, peppers, or okra - just kidding!
(My tomatoes did get a purple ribbon for best vegetables at our county fair.
G) The garden wasn't quite as good as usual, but I still had more
tomatoes, peppers, and okra than I wanted and an adequate supply of winter
squash and cucumbers. I shared a lot of them with friends and our neighbors
down the street who have two small children. I planted a fall crop of green
beans in early August (need to plant earlier) and they are doing well now,
but frost a given in the next couple of weeks. I also have a fall crop of
radishes that are just starting, but the frost won't bother them.

John

Old 13-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Jenny

Basil went crazy here, as did carrots, radishes, peppers, watermelon (my
first year with that one), beets and tomatoes.
I had several other things in too...but seeing as this was our first garden
this year (grass there last year) it did pretty decently.
Got a good dump of 'poo' from my dad's barnyard and away went the garden!
Gonna dump again this fall for next year, better again next year I hope!
Also, we added to the garden, its 5 times the size of this year's 'patch'
now.
Got horseradish and garlic planted for next year already....gotta cover it
this fall though for winter.
We live in eastern Ontario, roughly zone 4/5.
Cheers!
Greenthumbs and brown nails from Wolf Grove Hollow.!
Jenny

m...