Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-11-2004, 12:19 AM
paghat

Default Should I Ditch this Norway Maple?

The enormous garden I'm reworking has a sapling Norway maple planted on
the property line & my first inclination upon spotting it was to get rid
of it. There are hundreds of spots all around this property that need
attention and I have to be conservative about removing stuff that has
already been done, but I just think the future dominance of this tree
could in a decade be a nuisance to maintaining substory plants or fruiting
trees. The owners of the place pretty much trust whatever I decide, but
there's so much that I'm uncertain about, & maybe I'm over-reacting to not
like this sapling & for predicting it'll be a crummy tree someday. Anyone
with a big Norway maple in their yard that they now wish someone dug up &
discarded back when it was still a sapling? Anyone who has abject praise
for theirs?

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"