Old 02-12-2004, 08:40 PM
paghat

In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
In article , Vox Humana wrote:

Flowering quince ( Chaenomeles speciosa ). My parents had one of these
*******ly plants in front of a bay window that I had to paint several
times over the years. Unfortunately, they've sold the house and now I'll
never get to trim it with a lawnmower, dig up the roots and salt the earth
where it grew.

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant...s/japonica.htm

Stout thorns is a severe understatement.

I have a flowering quince, but it must not be the same as yours as it
doesn't have thorns (at least none that I have noticed.) It is a hideous
plant most of the year, with an unruly spray of branches. If it wasn't for
the couple of weeks of beautiful flowers in the early spring, I would have
pitched the pants years ago. The previous owners had it in the front yard,
and I promptly moved it to a less visible place in the back yard. Here is
link to a pictu

http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...oto&PhotoID=17

Nice photo. And here's mine:
http://www.paghat.com/quince.html
Chaenomeles japonica cultivars are not especially thorny (on some
varieties the thorns are so blunt they barely qualify as thorns, & on
others the thorns are entirely missing). Chaenomeles speciosa is much
thornier, though it too has some thornless cultivars. I suspect yours is a
hybrid of both those species (marketed as C. superba), as the hybrids seem
to be the ones with double-flowers & no thorns & stay short in stature.

I find quinces beautiful year-round, but I usually prefer a wild-woods
look over something formal. I don't like them when they are often-pruned
in an attempt to make them look tidy & more compact, as they become
instead like tight but messy little birdnests made of stumpy twigs, but
allowed to spread out into a loose tangle of thickening limbs they're
lovely.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 02-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Vox Humana

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
In article , Vox Humana

wrote:

[...]

I went outside and checked mine. Not even a hint of a thorn. It has
remained rather short, unlike the pictures that I have seen in web searches.
It has no fragrance and I haven't seen any obvious fruit.

I made the mistake of pruning it when I moved it. The plant was growing a
few feet from a red maple and the roots were commingled. Removing it was a
big job and it suffered in the process - with significant die-back. My
attempts to prune it left it looking worse that if I had done nothing. Oh
well, live and learn. I have grown to appreciate plants for their natural
form and am a lot less likely to prune solely for aesthetic reasons.

I have often gone to your website for information. I really appreciate it.
Do you have any "long shots" of your garden? All I recall seeing are
wonderful close-ups and always which that I could get an idea of what your
garden looks like. It must be wonderful.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Pen

Whatever shrub you decide, tuck a little prickly pear cactus under it.
Opuntia humifusa is cold hardy to zone 5.

The worse thing for an owner of long haired dogs are burdocks.
Too bad it's unattractive.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:20 AM
paghat

In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message

[...]

There are long shots scattered through the website, here are a few:

snow-covered cedar in back yard:
http://www.paghat.com/libani.html

Alaska cedar at other end of back yard:
http://www.paghat.com/alaskacedar.html

Same back yard path from opposite direction, between Alaska Cedar &
abutilon, third photo down:
http://www.paghat.com/abutilon.html

View from deck into back yard:
http://www.paghat.com/vinemaple.html

Second photo down, paperbark maple in front yard, autumn colors:
http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees3.html

Photo last on page, Japanese maple viewed from sidewalk, autumn colors:
http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees1.html

That same chokecherry viewed in winter covered with snow, viewed from
inside the tree-enclosed front yard:
http://www.paghat.com/snowyday.html

Another view of that Japanese maple from sidewalk, together with an
enormous chokecherry in full bloom:
http://www.paghat.com/chokecherry.html

Third photo down, another Japanese maple, side of house, autumn:
http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees1a.html

Path with 'Hino Crimson' & muscaris in full bloom, 'Lee's Best Purple'
rhody around the corner captured at corner of photo:
http://www.paghat.com/images/hinopath_ap.jpg

Same path from opposite direction & around the corner by the 'Lee's Best':
http://www.paghat.com/images/pathpicnicarea_may.jpg

Another view of the picnic area (lawn) by path by 'Lee's Best' seen from
sidewalk, somewhat "framed" by the two Japanese maples red left, purple
right:
http://www.paghat.com/images/picnicspot.jpg

Path through shade corridor, lots of blooms:
pathshadecorridor_may.jpg

A scruffy path at corner of back yard, passing deciduous azalea not in bloom:
http://www.paghat.com/images/path_august.jpg

Lion's head maple near back door, second-to-last photo:
http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees2.html

Old 03-12-2004, 01:56 PM

actually... animals dont get used to it. raccoons for instance will make it their
duty to topple the thing if they can. problem with water cannons is they cant be
used in winter.

opuntia is hardy under the snow. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:59 PM

I did too, until the first movie came out and I went to see it. pricked my curiosity
so I got a book, then all the books. the books are infinitely better. Ingrid

Robert Chambers wrote:
I resisted the Harry Potter movies for as long as I could but my 8 and 5
year old are more persistent than I am stubborn. Turns out I enjoyed
them after all - who'd a thunk it?

Robert

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 03-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Vox Humana

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message

Do you have any "long shots" of your garden?

There are long shots scattered through the website, here are a few:

You have some great fall color! I hadn't seen the lion's head maple before.
It was stunning.

Old 03-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Agreed, but still a decent showing of movies; especially when compared to
most of the cr*p out there!
Cheryl

Robert Chambers wrote:
I resisted the Harry Potter movies for as long as I could but my 8 and 5
year old are more persistent than I am stubborn. Turns out I enjoyed
them after all - who'd a thunk it?

Robert

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 03-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Joe Stead

I noticed that dogs hate walking on metal grates. Also, they dislike anything
small sticking up -- even a lot of buried popsicle sticks could deter them.

The message
from "Vox Humana" contains these words:

I have been toying with the idea of planting some roses, probably rugosa
roses, to discourage kids from riding their bikes across my yard. There's
nothing quite as nasty as falling into a rose bush!

Oh, there is. Even nastier, is a concealed plank full of long nails,
carelessly left lying around by the property owner after he was using it
to clear autumn leaves. Extensive tyre damage really upsets bikers and
uninvited carparkers.

[IMG] code is On

Viciously thorny tree/shrub ID please Sacha United Kingdom 14 16-10-2007 10:56 PM
Deadly Vole Damage bthache Gardening 0 20-05-2003 09:08 PM
Thorny sugestions Sheepkeeper Roses 6 07-05-2003 02:20 PM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 02:36 PM
Millions Infected With Deadly Parasite Spread By Cats Cy United Kingdom 6 23-01-2003 01:22 AM