Old 02-12-2004, 04:43 AM
Salty Thumb

Robert Chambers wrote in news:HQwrd.1401
:

I'm sorry to have not included a description then. There's no need to
sully yourself by watching an HP flick. for the purposes of this
discussion it's a tree that for one reason or another is very bad
tempered and if you get near it, it's likely to reach over and "whomp"
you with a vengeance. It smashed up a Ford Anglia once and the latest
movie it flings the people around.

I think it's make believe though so I don't think you can order them
from your usual suppliers.

You can grow your own "whomping willow". All you need is Harry Potter's
Chamber Pot of Secrets. The fertilizer is the key.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:50 AM
zxcvbob

Robert Chambers wrote:
I'm sorry to have not included a description then. There's no need to
sully yourself by watching an HP flick. for the purposes of this
discussion it's a tree that for one reason or another is very bad
tempered and if you get near it, it's likely to reach over and "whomp"
you with a vengeance. It smashed up a Ford Anglia once and the latest
movie it flings the people around.

I think it's make believe though so I don't think you can order them
from your usual suppliers.

I resisted the Harry Potter movies for as long as I could but my 8 and 5
year old are more persistent than I am stubborn. Turns out I enjoyed
them after all - who'd a thunk it?

Robert

Maybe Doug needs to plant an "Audrey".

(that ought to confuse a few folks)

Bob
Old 02-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/1/04 8:10 PM, in article ,
"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Robert Chambers" wrote in message
. com...
How about a "whomping willow" like the Harry Potter movies? That would
take care of dogs, kids, pretty much anything.

I'm probably the only person on earth who hasn't seen any of the Harry
Potter movies.

They are well worth the read and/or watch. Not the best of best, but darn
good!

Cheryl

Old 02-12-2004, 11:39 AM
SVTKate

Hey Ricky,
When my husband and I bought our first house we had that problem. Everyone
in the neighborhood
wo was walking a dog let it stop on my front yard.

I just made a simple little sign on my computer, in nice bold lettering.
It read:

We don't use your yard for a toilet.
Please don't let your animals use ours for one!

It only took a week. Long enough for all the dog walkers to see it, and it
stopped!
It enabled us to stay friendly with the neighbors too since each of them
could blame the other guy LOL

Kate

Old 02-12-2004, 11:41 AM
SVTKate

They DO make a motion activated sprinkler that is supposed to shoo pests
away.

Kate

. ..

Old 02-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Doug Kanter

I suspect it only works on animals which are afraid of rain. For the rest,
they'll probably get used to it pretty quickly.

k.net...

Old 02-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Doug Kanter

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

- "Chelsea Christenson" wrote in message
- ...
- Doug Kanter wrote:
- ....to plant this spring in a spot where disgusting dog owners like

- stop
- their filthy beasts on my property. Shrub must be capable of

inflicting
- enough damage to send the dog to the vet.
-
- The dogs aren't deciding where to stop. Mutilate the owners.
-
-
- Great idea, but unfortunately, I'm not always around to greet the

assholes.
- I'm home today, though, and saw something unbelievable. A slimeball was
- walking her dog. She began with the usual routine - letting her dog
- investigate the edge of my neighbor's lawn where it meets the street.

Then,
- she wandered RIGHT INTO THE MIDDLE of a 50' deep lawn, let the dog

crap, and
- cleaned it up. Where the hell do some dog owners get the idea that this

sort
- of thing is acceptable???

If she cleaned up after the dog, what's the problem?

1) You apparently don't observe dogs very effectively. Even if the crap is
cleaned up, the scent interests OTHER dogs, including the unleashed ones.
Then, the spot becomes popular and the property owner has to deal with the
results.

2) If you dragged your trash can to a neighbor's property, dumped it on the
middle of their lawn, and cleaned it up, you'd be arrested and taken
somewhere for psychological evaluation. Afterward, you'd get a little
talking-to from a judge. There is no difference between this and the dog
owner I described.

3) Private property comes with certain rights and privileges. If the owner
asks you to remove your shoes when walking on their lawn, you do it. If the
owner asks dog owners not to stop their animals on the property, regardless
of whether they clean up after them, the request will be honored. Period. No
questions, no debates, no excuses.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:24 PM
J. Del Col

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message ...
"Doug Kanter" asked about:
something to stop filthy beasts...

I don't know where this idea came from...

A small battery operated fan attached to a motion sensor
that is attached to a small contraption of cheyenne ....

Cheyenne? Wyoming? Autumn? The old TV show with Clint Walker?

Perhaps you mean cayenne.

J. Del Col
Old 02-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Vox Humana

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Vox Humana" contains these words:

I have been toying with the idea of planting some roses, probably rugosa
roses, to discourage kids from riding their bikes across my yard.

There's
nothing quite as nasty as falling into a rose bush!

Oh, there is. Even nastier, is a concealed plank full of long nails,
carelessly left lying around by the property owner after he was using it
to clear autumn leaves. Extensive tyre damage really upsets bikers and
uninvited carparkers.

Janet.

I like the idea, but in this world of litigation, I'm sure if someone got
injured on a nail encrusted board, there would be lawyers involved. Every
time these issues come up there is a common theme. People are not
responsible for their kids or pets. When you say something to the contrary,
you are a very bad person indeed. You hate pets and eat small children for
breakfast. You are anti-family and a danger to civilization. Kid will be
kids and it is your responsibility to make sure that they don't drink that
gasoline or motor oil while they explore your garage. When your dog nips
them as they thrust their hand through the fence, then it is your fault.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Doug Kanter

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

[...]

Someone told me recently that I should be OK with dog crap on my carpet,
shoes & car mats because Oxy-Clean does a fine job of cleaning it up. At
times like that, I wish I had a can of spray paint to apply to the person's
shirt and hair, so they can go home and see what a great job paint thinner
does at removing paint.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Larry Blanchard

Vox Humana wrote:

I have been toying with the idea of planting some roses, probably rug=

osa
roses, to discourage kids from riding their bikes across my yard.=A0=A0=

There's
nothing quite as nasty as falling into a rose bush! I haven't had goo=

luck with pyrocantha and barberry isn't nasty enough in my opinion.

Russian Olive. I had a hedge of those at one house, and the kid next d=
oor
actually warned visiting playmates not to try to go through the hedge t=
retrieve a ball or whatever. He informed them they'd better walk
around :-).

But they do require pruning/trimming to keep them as a hedge. Otherwis=
they grow into a small tree.

--=20
Homo sapiens is a goal, not a description.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Vox Humana

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
In article , Vox Humana wrote:

Flowering quince ( Chaenomeles speciosa ). My parents had one of these
*******ly plants in front of a bay window that I had to paint several
times over the years. Unfortunately, they've sold the house and now I'll
never get to trim it with a lawnmower, dig up the roots and salt the earth
where it grew.

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant...s/japonica.htm

Stout thorns is a severe understatement.

I have a flowering quince, but it must not be the same as yours as it
doesn't have thorns (at least none that I have noticed.) It is a hideous
plant most of the year, with an unruly spray of branches. If it wasn't for
the couple of weeks of beautiful flowers in the early spring, I would have
pitched the pants years ago. The previous owners had it in the front yard,
and I promptly moved it to a less visible place in the back yard. Here is
link to a pictu
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...oto&PhotoID=17

[IMG] code is On

Viciously thorny tree/shrub ID please Sacha United Kingdom 14 16-10-2007 10:56 PM
Deadly Vole Damage bthache Gardening 0 20-05-2003 09:08 PM
Thorny sugestions Sheepkeeper Roses 6 07-05-2003 02:20 PM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 02:36 PM
Millions Infected With Deadly Parasite Spread By Cats Cy United Kingdom 6 23-01-2003 01:22 AM