Old 18-02-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Help Save Me From Nasty Stinky Red Mushrooms

Last year I bought what I was told were cedar chips. Along with these
"cedar chips", I believe I also received spores of a REALLY REALLY
foul-smelling red-colored mushroom. When one of these "mushrooms"
first pop out of the ground, it's about 3/4" in diameter, then it grows
into the shape of, I kid you not, a penis. Fully mature, it's about
12" long, 3/4" in diameter, red in color, slimy, and stinks worse than
cat shit! Yes, the smell is so bad, even when it first pops out of the
ground, it attracts flies like crazy and is strong enough to drive you
into the house. What I've been doing as soon as I notice one starting
to grow is I grab as much of it as I can with an old Walmart bag, like
you would if you were to pick up a dog pile. Is it possible to
erradicate these "mushrooms" from my yard by doing this? Or am I just
helping spread the spores?

Please tell me what these horrid-smelling "mushrooms" are, and how I
can get rid of them!

Oh, BTW, I live in north Florida.

Patrick

Old 18-02-2005, 02:08 AM
Ed Clarke

On 2005-02-18, wrote:

Please tell me what these horrid-smelling "mushrooms" are, and how I
can get rid of them!

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/week...0-29-01-1.html

The flies are spreading the new spores. That's why it developed the
stink...

--
This signature left blank.
Old 18-02-2005, 05:43 AM
David Hare-Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's a stinkhorn fungus. The name is self explanatory. Once the spores are
in your yard as long as you have the right conditions (rotting vegetation,
mulch, compost etc + moisture + warm temperatures) then they will keep
poping up. Cutting off the fruiting body (the phallic bit) before its
little gills open ( you will need to be quick, these erections don't last
long) and release the spores may contain the spread but don't count on it.

David

Old 18-02-2005, 08:47 PM

Hi Patrick,

Try spraying with a disk soap and baking soda solution. A spray bottle
should help. One tablespoon of dishsoap to a quart of water, one tsp.
of baking soda. The mushrooms don't like the solution - and the garden
plants benefit from it. You'll have to keep it up over the season, but
if they can't grow, they can't spread. If you get really adventurous
you add 1/2c. everclear - though if you use that you have to be careful
about your plants. The everclear can burn some of them.

Joan Taylor

[IMG] code is On

stinky nasty wild mushrooms!!! John Texas 3 20-01-2006 06:15 PM
stinky trees? stltrees Gardening 15 11-11-2005 03:42 AM
nettle soup / feed / stinky stuff! Phil L United Kingdom 4 01-06-2005 04:50 PM
[IBC] Stinky Adventure (ginkgo seeds found) - update sam crowell Bonsai 3 27-05-2004 01:07 AM
[IBC] Stinky Adventure (ginkgo seeds found) sam crowell Bonsai 4 22-12-2003 05:13 PM