Old 19-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Registered User

Question stinky trees?

Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it! I live in St.Louis Missouri(USA) and around my neighborhood there are a bunch of fruit bearing trees, the fruit it yellow in color and about the size of a cherry. The fruit really really stinks! I guess because alot of it has fallen to the ground and people stepping on them. I am sure they dont smell that bad undamaged. I was just wondering if anyone had any clue to what tree this is. Btw it is a short tree not tall.

Thanx!
Old 19-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltrees
Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it! I live in St.Louis Missouri(USA) and around my neighborhood there are a bunch of fruit bearing trees, the fruit it yellow in color and about the size of a cherry. The fruit really really stinks! I guess because alot of it has fallen to the ground and people stepping on them. I am sure they dont smell that bad undamaged. I was just wondering if anyone had any clue to what tree this is. Btw it is a short tree not tall.

Thanx!

Nevermind I found out they are female ginkgo trees!Thanx!
Old 19-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Travis

Default stinky trees?

stltrees wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it!

This is not a site it is a newsgroup.

snip

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 20-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Vox Humana

"stltrees" wrote in message

Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it! I live in St.Louis
Missouri(USA) and around my neighborhood there are a bunch of fruit
bearing trees, the fruit it yellow in color and about the size of a
cherry. The fruit really really stinks! I guess because alot of it has
fallen to the ground and people stepping on them. I am sure they dont
smell that bad undamaged. I was just wondering if anyone had any clue
to what tree this is. Btw it is a short tree not tall.

If it smells like dog crap, it is probably a female Ginko tree. They have
very distinctive triangular leaves. It is a very ancient tree. Take a look
he
http://www.treesforyou.org/Selection...ngko_trees.htm

http://images.google.com/images?sour...nko+tree+fruit

http://images.google.com/images?sour...q=Ginko+tree++

Old 24-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
stltrees wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it!

This is not a site it is a newsgroup.

snip

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

AHHHHHH yeah I think it is a SITE what is a newsgroup? I found the SITE through gardenbanter.com another webSITE whats with the snip do you have a problem or something?

----SNIP BACK-----

Old 24-10-2005, 10:31 PM
paghat

In article , stltrees
wrote:

Travis Wrote: stltrees wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it!

This is not a site it is a newsgroup.

snip

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

AHHHHHH yeah I think it is a SITE what is a newsgroup? I found the

SITEthrough gardenbanter.com another webSITE whats with the snip do you
havea problem or something?

It may not be particularly important, but it's a fact, this is a
newsgroup, not a website. Why let such a simple fact mess you up?

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 24-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from stltrees contains these words:

Travis Wrote:
stltrees wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it!

This is not a site it is a newsgroup.

AHHHHHH yeah I think it is a SITE what is a newsgroup? I found the SITE
through gardenbanter.com another webSITE

Gardenbanter provides a portal to usenet, where newsgroups live. You
don't see the whole group because gardenbanter moderates posts they
don't like.

Think of it like this, we're all at home watching TV, with satellite,
digital and a remote control which enables us to pick exactly what we
want to see. Gardenbanter members are like homeless people standing on
the street looking through a shop window at the TV program someone else
selected, you haven't got a remote to control your view and can't
actually hear the sound track. So you don't even know that Travis sings
all his posts in a wonderful baritone.

whats with the snip do you have
a problem or something?

editing replies so that you only reply to the other person's salient
point(s) is normal on usenet.

Janet
Old 25-10-2005, 02:43 AM
Travis

stltrees wrote:
Travis Wrote:
stltrees wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it!

This is not a site it is a newsgroup.

snip

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

AHHHHHH yeah I think it is a SITE what is a newsgroup? I found
the
SITE through gardenbanter.com another webSITE whats with the
snip
do you have a problem or something?

I did not snip anything. I fully quoted your message.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 25-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Travis

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from stltrees contains
these
words:

Travis Wrote:
stltrees wrote:
[...]

I didn't know there were so many homeless people connected to the
internet. Must have one of those fancy web enabled cell phones.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 25-10-2005, 05:07 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

That's right Travis.
You are a sight.
The Dixie Chicks are a group.

Old 25-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Travis

stltrees wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am new to this site.I am glad I found it!

This is not a site it is a newsgroup.

snip

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Have they been in the news lately?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 07-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Suzy O

Ginkgo was my first thought! Because of the smell of the fruit, my
daughter's friend used to call them "stink trees." And interestingly, they
don't usually start to bear until they're @ 20 years old or so.

Suzy O
Zone 5, Milwaukee, WI

Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 AM
sherwindu

Yes, and I would add it is the female of this tree that is the problem. The male has
no such fruit and makes a very nice parkway tree.

Sherwin D.