Old 19-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Dawn

Default trimming tulips

I'm new to tulips, so I apologise if this sounds stupid. I've read that
after the plant blooms I'm supposed to trim off the dead flower so that
it won't set seed, and continue to water the greenery so the bulb can
prepare itself for the next season. Ok. How do I trim off the dead
flower? Do I just break it off? Or should I cut it? At which point on
the stalk?

Dawn
Old 19-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Bill R

Dawn wrote:
I'm new to tulips, so I apologise if this sounds stupid. I've read that
after the plant blooms I'm supposed to trim off the dead flower so that
it won't set seed, and continue to water the greenery so the bulb can
prepare itself for the next season. Ok. How do I trim off the dead
flower? Do I just break it off? Or should I cut it? At which point on
the stalk?

Dawn

Dawn,

It doesn't matter if you cut them off or break them off.
What I do is cut or break them off just above the leave. It
is important that you leave all the foliage on the plant
until it turns yellow (or brown). This helps the bulb
develop for next year. It is a good idea to feed your
tulips right when (or shortly thereafter) they bloom.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 20-02-2005, 03:09 PM
rosie readandpost

bill,
your flowers are BEAUTIFUL!

--
rosie

"Bill R" wrote in message
: Dawn wrote:
: I'm new to tulips, so I apologise if this sounds stupid. I've
read that
: after the plant blooms I'm supposed to trim off the dead flower
so that
: it won't set seed, and continue to water the greenery so the
bulb can
: prepare itself for the next season. Ok. How do I trim off the
dead
: flower? Do I just break it off? Or should I cut it? At which
point on
: the stalk?
:
:
: Dawn
:
:
: Dawn,
:
: It doesn't matter if you cut them off or break them off.
: What I do is cut or break them off just above the leave. It
: is important that you leave all the foliage on the plant
: until it turns yellow (or brown). This helps the bulb
: develop for next year. It is a good idea to feed your
: tulips right when (or shortly thereafter) they bloom.
: --
: Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)
:
: Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
:
: For pictures of my garden flowers visit
: http://members.iglou.com/brosen
:
: Remove NO_WEEDS_ in e-mail address to reply by e-mail
:

Old 20-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Bill R

rosie readandpost wrote:
bill,
your flowers are BEAUTIFUL!

Rosie,

Thank you. All the pictures on my web site are, of course,
from last year. I planted about 800 bulbs (tulips and such)
last fall and they will be blooming next month and I will be
updating my web site with new pictures.

This weekend I am going through all the flower catalogs (I
got a stack at least six inches high) planning my garden for
this summer. I also grow a LOT of tomatoes, most of which I
start from seed.

Old 20-02-2005, 06:36 PM
rosie readandpost

i am from farther north than you (wisconsin) and we are nowhere near
spring................
i look forward to more pictures in the future.
i love tulips, but have moved to "deer country" and have been
advised against planting them here.

--
rosie

"Bill R" wrote in message
: rosie readandpost wrote:
: bill,
: your flowers are BEAUTIFUL!
:
:
:
: Rosie,
:

Old 20-02-2005, 07:37 PM
madgardener

" rosie readandpost" wrote in message
i am from farther north than you (wisconsin) and we are nowhere near
spring................
i look forward to more pictures in the future.
i love tulips, but have moved to "deer country" and have been
advised against planting them here.

--
rosie

you can always plant narcissus. The deer DON'T eat them and there are
thousands of colors and come in split cup, fragrant, species, ruffled,
doubles, peach colors, pinks, yellows, creams, everything you could possibly
think of.
Try (donning flame proof drawers, first) Dutch Gardens, McClure &Zimmerman,
Sheepers Bulbs. The varieties will amaze you, and deer find them untasty
completely. I believe they don't eat Frittleria's either (those are
poisonious too, to deer and those repel voles and moles with their smell
underground) which would make me wonder (Paghat, some help here) if the
little Frittleria's would be inedible to moles, voles and deer.

Does anyone know if deer eat Hellebore? Don't want to recommend something
that deer eat.........
madgardener, zone 7, East Tennessee

Old 20-02-2005, 09:03 PM
rosie readandpost

THANKS!

--
rosie

"madgardener" wrote in message
:
: " rosie readandpost" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Tulips ? What tulips ? Terry Coombs Gardening 14 29-03-2016 04:43 PM
Trimming spiral bamboo Jan Bamboo 2 23-01-2004 03:36 AM
Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips) Bill Oliver Gardening 16 01-06-2003 07:56 PM
TREE TRIMMING AND/OR REMOVAL Thelumberjackcan Texas 0 27-02-2003 03:29 AM
Trimming back ornamental grasses: Dallas Blue and another Todd W. Roat Gardening 1 30-01-2003 02:16 PM