Old 25-03-2005, 09:04 PM
paghat

In article , "Warren"
wrote:

John Thomas wrote:
I realize they're pretty plants and are a blast to have around if you like
watching insects, but given it's vigor, flowering rates, overall

hardiness and
other traits, why doesn't buddleia strike people as a potentially dangerous
plant?

Why in god's name would anyone dump something like this into the

environment?
(If this was GMO corn, people would be burning down fabric mills in

anger. :-)

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/invasives.html

Butterfly bush is not invasive. As the first sentence in the link you

provided
states, "An invasive plant has the ability to thrive and spread aggressively
outside its natural range." That means you plant one or two, and

eventually you
get dozens spreading from the originally intended spot. Butterfly bushes

don't
do that.

Butterfly bush is a very aggressive grower. A single plant can go from

not much
more than a stick with a couple of leaves to a bush big enough to hide a

small
shack in just a few months. But you won't have a dozen new butterfly bushes.

It's a very aggressive grower, but it's not the least bit invasive.

Who told you dat?

As one of the top-twenty invasive pest-plants in England, its potential to
do harm should perhaps be taken more seriously in the USA too. The USDA's
Farm Service Agency's list of common invasive plants in the United States
includes B. davidii, & in my region, the Washington State Noxious Weed
Control Board reported of B. davidii:

"It has escaped cultivation, invading roadsides, riparian areas, pastures,
river gravel bars and other disturbed areas. It is noted to form dense
thickets and may exclude native vegetation.* Butterfly bush produces large
quantities of wind and water dispersed seeds (up to 3 million seeds per
plant), which can remain dormant in the soil for many years. When cut
down, it resprouts readily from the rootstock and can be propagated
through cuttings.* Butterfly bush has been noted to reach maturity in less
than one year, allowing it to spread quickly.* Although this plant is
touted as a beneficial plant for butterflies, it is not noted to be used
as a butterfly host plant and may displace the native plants needed by
butterflies for reproduction.* This plant has also become invasive in
Europe, Australia and New Zealand. In New Zealand it is estimated that the
weed pest is displacing valued native species and is reported to be
costing the forestry industry $0.5 to 2.9 million annually in control and
lost production."

It is interesting to note that it has NOT been found to be a butterfly
host plant for northwest butterfly species, so one of its most touted
"values" is not true for all regions, if any.

It is presently at the worry-stage that what is already a major pest-plant
in England & New Zealand will eventually be the same in many regions of
the United States. Barring the development of sterile cultivars, I would
expect the butterfly bush to begin showing up regionally on US lists of
banned noxious pest plants within the decade, & possibly within two or
three years, as this year the
Washington State Nursery & Landscape Associations's Invasive Taskforce
began a study to further assess the Noxious Weed Control Board's
assessment, & if the reports continue to go as badly as they've gone so
far, Buddleia will be added to the growing list of illegal plants.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 25-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Travis

Warren wrote:
John Thomas wrote:
[...]

You want to get rid of it? Just dig up the one plant, and you're
done with it. It doesn't send out runners. It doesn't reseed. It
won't come back from that little bit of root you missed.

Buddleia davidii is a Class "C" weed on the Washington State Noxious
Weed List. http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/weed_list/weed_list.classc.html

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 25-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Travis

Warren wrote:
John Thomas wrote:
[...]

It reseeds like crazy in my neck of the woods.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 25-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Warren

John Thomas wrote:
Warren wrote:

Butterfly bush is not invasive. As the first sentence in the link you
provided states, "An invasive plant has the ability to thrive and spread
aggressively outside its natural range." That means you plant one or two, and
eventually you get dozens spreading from the originally intended spot.
Butterfly bushes don't do that.

Butterfly bush is a very aggressive grower. A single plant can go from not
much more than a stick with a couple of leaves to a bush big enough to hide a
small shack in just a few months. But you won't have a dozen new butterfly
bushes.

It's a very aggressive grower, but it's not the least bit invasive.

Wrong on all counts. With many varieties, it definitely spreads, reseeds, and
it certainly considered an invasive pest in many areas.

Then we must be talking about an entirely different plant.

I have two in my backyard. I had one in my front yard. My neighbor has a couple
as well. We don't have any invasion from these plants. Both of our backyards
were next to what was a vacant lot until a year and a half ago, and there were
none of these back there.

They've very popular plants in landscapes around here, yet I do not see them
anywhere in the uncultivated areas.

I had to hunt to find a picture of mine, but here's one:
http://www.holzemville.com/1/DSCF0662.jpg

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
We're down to the wire. Do you need tax software?
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/taxes/index.html

Old 26-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Doug Kanter

"Travis" wrote in message
Warren wrote:
John Thomas wrote:
[...]

Some plants are unbelievably picky about the environment they're grown in,
in order to REALLY hit their stride. Take rosemary as an example. Looks like
it's tough as nails when it's growing happily. But, bring it indoors for the
winter (and I mean REAL winter, as in Maine straight west to Montana), and
rosemary sulks or drops dead. Look at the same plant in its native
environment and it's unstoppable. Perhaps buddleia likes the humidity in
Washington, and even if the temps were identical all year to those in, say,
upstate NY, it would still want that humidity. Or something.

Old 26-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Warren" contains these words:
. It doesn't reseed.

Are you kidding? Buddleia seeds all over the place. Tall derelict
buildings here have 8ft seedlings growing in the roof gutters and
chimneys; railways spend a fortune clearing miles of buddeia seedlings
from track-sides. After the wartime blitzes in UK cities, buddleia was
one of the plants that colonised the bombsites.

I still love it.

Janet (UK)

Sounds like what Travis just said about Washington. Not sure WHERE in
Washington he's from, so I don't know if it's like Minnesota or upstate NY,
where, in winter, the wind sucks the life out of everything. Even
automobiles have been known to shrivel up.

Old 26-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Travis

Warren wrote:
John Thomas wrote:
[...]

We don't have what you would call humid weather.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 26-03-2005, 02:53 AM
Travis

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Warren" contains these words:
. It doesn't reseed.

Are you kidding? Buddleia seeds all over the place. Tall derelict
buildings here have 8ft seedlings growing in the roof gutters and
chimneys; railways spend a fortune clearing miles of buddeia
seedlings from track-sides. After the wartime blitzes in UK
cities, buddleia was one of the plants that colonised the
bombsites.

I still love it.

Janet (UK)

Sounds like what Travis just said about Washington. Not sure WHERE
in Washington he's from, so I don't know if it's like Minnesota or
upstate NY, where, in winter, the wind sucks the life out of
everything. Even automobiles have been known to shrivel up.

I'm where my sig says I am.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 26-03-2005, 03:25 AM
Jim Carlock

"Doug Kanter" mentioned:
Perhaps buddleia likes the humidity in Washington, and even if the
temps were identical all year to those in, say, upstate NY, it would
still want that humidity. Or something.

"Travis" explained from the rainforests of Washington and Vancouver:
We don't have what you would call humid weather.

g It's not humid. It just rains 9 out of 10 days of a week?

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

Old 26-03-2005, 04:35 AM
Travis

Jim Carlock wrote:
"Doug Kanter" mentioned:
Perhaps buddleia likes the humidity in Washington, and even if the
temps were identical all year to those in, say, upstate NY, it
would still want that humidity. Or something.

"Travis" explained from the rainforests of Washington and Vancouver:
We don't have what you would call humid weather.

g It's not humid. It just rains 9 out of 10 days of a week?

The rain forests are on the Olympic Peninsula.
http://www.nps.gov/olym/edurain.htm

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 26-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Marginally hardy south of Boston??? The plant does fine here (Rochester NY),
where the winter makes yours look like a trip to a day spa. What sort of
miniclimates do you have around your house?

The constant warming/frost, etc. causes them to start growing too
early, then they get caught by a hard freeze and it kills them. You
stay more consistently cool until you warm. Big difference.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 26-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Doug Kanter

"Travis" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Warren" contains these words:
. It doesn't reseed.

Are you kidding? Buddleia seeds all over the place. Tall derelict
buildings here have 8ft seedlings growing in the roof gutters and
chimneys; railways spend a fortune clearing miles of buddeia
seedlings from track-sides. After the wartime blitzes in UK
cities, buddleia was one of the plants that colonised the
bombsites. I still love it.

Janet (UK)

Sounds like what Travis just said about Washington. Not sure WHERE
in Washington he's from, so I don't know if it's like Minnesota or
upstate NY, where, in winter, the wind sucks the life out of
everything. Even automobiles have been known to shrivel up.

I'm where my sig says I am.

Amazing. It was printed right there. :-) So, does winter shrivel up
automobiles where you live, or is the weather somewhat tempered by the
proximity of the ocean?

Old 26-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ann" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Marginally hardy south of Boston??? The plant does fine here (Rochester
NY),
where the winter makes yours look like a trip to a day spa. What sort of
miniclimates do you have around your house?

The constant warming/frost, etc. causes them to start growing too
early, then they get caught by a hard freeze and it kills them. You
stay more consistently cool until you warm. Big difference.

Mulch!!! Use whatever you've got. Straw, leaves, dead carcasses of
neighbors' dogs. Anything.

[IMG] code is On

Cantigny C Not-a-butterfly on the butterfly weed.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 27-07-2009 06:35 PM
Butterfly Bush Haircut Doug Kanter Gardening 5 04-04-2005 05:11 AM
Major pine tree haircut Greg Miller Gardening 6 28-10-2004 12:39 AM
Butterfly Bush AnnaTle Gardening 5 26-04-2003 02:08 AM
Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush? Fleemo Gardening 4 05-04-2003 06:20 PM