Old 24-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Butterfly Bush Haircut

No web links as responses, please. I'm looking for input from people who've
actually owned & maintained a butterfly bush, preferably in a northern
climate, zone 5-7. I'm in 5/6, depending on luck (Rochester NY). No
theoretical responses, in other words, like marital advice from priests.

My new (as of 9/04) house came complete with a butterfly bush near the front
door. It's 6' high & 8' wide - a real monster, considering it's position
near the sidewalk. In its center are 3 dead "trunks" about 3" thick. The
previous owner cut them down to 3' and used them as attachment points for
wires which support the outer, thinner branches (not sure that's
necessary-they seem woody and stiff enough). The bulk of the growth looks
like what you'd call "suckers", if they were coming out of the base of a
small tree. These branches were very healthy last fall, supporting lots of
good leaf & flower growth, and poking everyone in the face as we walked by.

I pruned some of the pokiest branches back a bit (for safety) in September,
and they grew back quickly within a couple of weeks. What I'd like to know
is whether I can whack the whole thing back by half, in the hope that maybe
I'll end up with a 3-5' diameter, instead of 8+ feet. The thing seems to
grow like a weed. Is it bulletproof enough for drastic measures?

This is the only flower I've ever seen which attracted bees the size of
grapefruits. Absolutely amazing to watch.

Old 24-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Warren

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

I have two in my backyard, and had one in my front yard. They can be cut back
pretty drastically. Very drastically. They only need to have a few leaves on
living branches, and they'll still come back to take over the yard by
mid-summer.

The one that I had in the front yard started a bad winter with too much growth.
Three days of ice and heavy snow weighted it down so badly that one of the main
trunks cracked vertically. I had to cut back so far to remove the damage that
there wasn't enough left to live. I'm not upset. The nearby roses that it was
choking out grew like gang busters that year.

For the most part, you should be able to cut back to where the branches bend
over, and leave nothing put upright growth, as long as there's some leaves left.
My neighbor still cuts back further than I feel comfortable doing myself, but
his keep coming back, and my remaining bushes keep trying to take over the
backyard. He's still surprised that I was able to kill the one I did.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
We're down to the wire. Do you need tax software?
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/taxes/index.html

Old 24-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Travis

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

You can prune it to the ground in late winter and it will grow from its
roots in the spring and flower in the summer.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 24-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Ann

"Travis" expounded:

You can prune it to the ground in late winter and it will grow from its
roots in the spring and flower in the summer.

If you prune it to the ground around here in late winter you'll kill
it.

Prune it when you see the first burst of growth in late spring.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 24-03-2005, 11:30 PM
rosie read n' post

does this bush require FULL sun.....................its sounds like
a wonderful summer privacy barrier!

Old 25-03-2005, 02:50 PM

In article , "rosie read n' post" wrote:
does this bush require FULL sun.....................its sounds like
a wonderful summer privacy barrier!

Mine's in part sun and does just fine, you'll get lot's of volunteers all over
the yard too.
cheers,
Jim
Old 25-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Doug Kanter

"rosie read n' post" wrote in message
does this bush require FULL sun.....................its sounds like
a wonderful summer privacy barrier!

Mine gets about 1/2 day of sun. I've never seen one in full sun, so I can't
really say if the leaf density on mine is as good as it could be. However,
it does NOT provide opacity - a solid wall of green. Maybe someone with a
full-sun specimen can add to this.

Old 25-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ann" wrote in message
"Travis" expounded:

You can prune it to the ground in late winter and it will grow from its
roots in the spring and flower in the summer.

If you prune it to the ground around here in late winter you'll kill
it.

This sounds right. When I pruned mine a little in September, it immediately
began sending out new growth. I wouldn't want to suggest that idea to the
plant when there's still a risk of temps in the teens.

Old 25-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Emerald

I have some in full sun and some in part sun. The ones in full sun get
denser. The ones I deadhead frequently get really lush.

EM

Old 25-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

"Ann" wrote in message
.. .
"Travis" expounded:

You can prune it to the ground in late winter and it will grow from its
roots in the spring and flower in the summer.

If you prune it to the ground around here in late winter you'll kill
it.

This sounds right. When I pruned mine a little in September, it immediately
began sending out new growth. I wouldn't want to suggest that idea to the
plant when there's still a risk of temps in the teens.

Yea, that's the problem. Pruning encourages growth on buddlejas. In
our climate that would be a death sentence before mid-May at the
earliest.

Old 25-03-2005, 07:25 PM
John Thomas

I realize they're pretty plants and are a blast to have around if you
like watching insects, but given it's vigor, flowering rates, overall
hardiness and other traits, why doesn't buddleia strike people as a
potentially dangerous plant?

Why in god's name would anyone dump something like this into the
environment? (If this was GMO corn, people would be burning down fabric
mills in anger. :-)

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/invasives.html
Old 25-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Warren

John Thomas wrote:
I realize they're pretty plants and are a blast to have around if you like
watching insects, but given it's vigor, flowering rates, overall hardiness and
other traits, why doesn't buddleia strike people as a potentially dangerous
plant?

Why in god's name would anyone dump something like this into the environment?
(If this was GMO corn, people would be burning down fabric mills in anger. :-)

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/invasives.html

Butterfly bush is not invasive. As the first sentence in the link you provided
states, "An invasive plant has the ability to thrive and spread aggressively
outside its natural range." That means you plant one or two, and eventually you
get dozens spreading from the originally intended spot. Butterfly bushes don't
do that.

Butterfly bush is a very aggressive grower. A single plant can go from not much
more than a stick with a couple of leaves to a bush big enough to hide a small
shack in just a few months. But you won't have a dozen new butterfly bushes.

It's a very aggressive grower, but it's not the least bit invasive.

You want to get rid of it? Just dig up the one plant, and you're done with it.
It doesn't send out runners. It doesn't reseed. It won't come back from that
little bit of root you missed.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 25-03-2005, 08:18 PM
paghat

In article , wrote:

I realize they're pretty plants and are a blast to have around if you
like watching insects, but given it's vigor, flowering rates, overall
hardiness and other traits, why doesn't buddleia strike people as a
potentially dangerous plant?

Why in god's name would anyone dump something like this into the
environment? (If this was GMO corn, people would be burning down fabric
mills in anger. :-)

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/invasives.html

B. davidii is in the top-20 invasive pest-plants in England. It has never
been given such a high pest status in the USA, as it is believed to share
the environment rather than displace native species, a debatable premise.
There is no question but that it is long naturalized on both coasts.

Here in Kitsap County, Washington state, it is common along major highways
& puts on quite a show every summer. I've wondered whether these were
planned plantings from before it was known to be a bad idea (scotch brooms
were planted along our roadsides on purpose to hold up embankments, then
fifty years later it is illegal to harbor them, but that's about 50 years
too late to stop their eternal spread; in the east they made the same
mistake with Japanese barberries), or whether the roadside butterfly
bushes are all self-seeded escapees.

However, many of the cultivars, including virtually all the semi-dwarfs
which are still quite big, have a low rate of viable seed, & are not the
same plants as those which have already escaped cultivation. Plus, if the
shrubs are pruned back in early autumn, they will not have the opportunity
to disperse seeds. There's also the alternative butterfly bush B. globosa,
which isnt' invasive.

Another commonly planted invasive shrub is Hibiscus syriacus
rose-of-sharon. But a great many sterile cultivars do exist. A whole
series of sterile rose of sharons were developed at the very National
Aboretum you cited above, & I have one of these, called 'Aphrodite.'

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 25-03-2005, 08:25 PM
timorous barghest

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"rosie read n' post" wrote in message
does this bush require FULL sun.....................its sounds like
a wonderful summer privacy barrier!

Mine gets about 1/2 day of sun. I've never seen one in full sun, so I can't
really say if the leaf density on mine is as good as it could be. However,
it does NOT provide opacity - a solid wall of green. Maybe someone with a
full-sun specimen can add to this.

I have around twenty of them, the ones in full sun are thicker than
the others, but they do not provide the kind of screen that say a line
of evergreen trees or bamboo would. None of mine except a weeping
buddleia are left to grow on their own, I cut them back hard in early
spring. If they were only trimmed a little bit, they might become
thicker over time. I really do not know. They are definitely thicker
if you take the time to deadhead them religiously.

--

pull the weeds to email me:
Old 25-03-2005, 08:27 PM
John Thomas

Warren wrote:

Butterfly bush is not invasive. As the first sentence in the link you provided
states, "An invasive plant has the ability to thrive and spread aggressively
outside its natural range." That means you plant one or two, and eventually you
get dozens spreading from the originally intended spot. Butterfly bushes don't
do that.

Butterfly bush is a very aggressive grower. A single plant can go from not much
more than a stick with a couple of leaves to a bush big enough to hide a small
shack in just a few months. But you won't have a dozen new butterfly bushes.

It's a very aggressive grower, but it's not the least bit invasive.

Wrong on all counts. With many varieties, it definitely spreads,
reseeds, and it certainly considered an invasive pest in many areas.

[IMG] code is On

Cantigny C Not-a-butterfly on the butterfly weed.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 27-07-2009 06:35 PM
Butterfly Bush Haircut Doug Kanter Gardening 5 04-04-2005 05:11 AM
Major pine tree haircut Greg Miller Gardening 6 28-10-2004 12:39 AM
Butterfly Bush AnnaTle Gardening 5 26-04-2003 02:08 AM
Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush? Fleemo Gardening 4 05-04-2003 06:20 PM